Tuxedo Rental ?

dfwguy

I am prepared to purchase a new Tuxedo, but am wondering if simply renting a Tux on QM2 might be just as easy. I will NEVER wear a Tux once I return home- so ...any thought? Has anyone rented a Tux on QM2?

I am prepared to purchase a new Tuxedo, but am wondering if simply renting a Tux on QM2 might be just as easy. I will NEVER wear a Tux once I return home- so ...any thought? Has anyone rented a Tux on QM2?

Renting a tuxedo on board can be costly. As I recall, the rates are $85 for one night, $125 for two, $170 for three, and $210 for four. Of course, you could get by with a dark suit on formal nights. Otherwise, purchasing an inexpensive tux might make sense. And you never know; once word spreads of your new found elegance, you might be invited to many a black-tie affair on your return!

If you are never to take a cruise again it is probably worth renting: saves on the packing. But then I think there are not many first time cruisers who don't come back for a second one.

David.

It is actually cheaper to buy a tux at TK Maxx, M&S in the sale or even Asda than rent a tux on board. For easy, weight allowance etc it will be easier to rent but there is not a huge choice on board so you may struggle for your size if not standard.

If you are never to take a cruise again it is probably worth renting: saves on the packing. But then I think there are not many first time cruisers who don't come back for a second one.

David.

David,

I agree whole heartedly with your second statement but must disagree with your first.

The cost of rental can be just as expensive as a purchase.

This year I had reason to upgrade my Tux, not just the fact my old one had a scroll collar but I had put on some extra pounds and had trouble squeezing into it.

I looked at the costs of renting aboard Queen Victoria back in July (Mediterranean Gems 12 nights) with four formal nights, cost was very expensive for a four night rental(£143) so decided to purchase.

I picked up a good quality Tux for just over £220 just before the above voyage and very pleased I am to, on Thursday 10th. I’m off on a TA aboard QM2, a seven day crossing with four formal evenings.

All I have to do now is make sure it doesn’t hang in my wardrobe feeding the moths,

I'll try and sail as often as I can.

All in all a no brainer.

Tom.

Renting a tuxedo on board can be costly. As I recall, the rates are $85 for one night, $125 for two, $170 for three, and $210 for four. Of course, you could get by with a dark suit on formal nights. Otherwise, purchasing an inexpensive tux might make sense. And you never know; once word spreads of your new found elegance, you might be invited to many a black-tie affair on your return!

which is what im doing;

black 3piece suit, white shirt, black tie

a suit that fits you properly will look a lot better than a rented dinner jacket (tux?) that isnt going to be tailored to you

many high streets in the UK have a plethora of these and they are a good source of quality s/h clothes, just visited two in my locality and found both had decent tux. at £30/£35 and a dress shirt at £30, all in very good condition, cleaned, pressed and ready to wear.

Cheaper than hiring!!

You have to shop around for sizes, of course, and the best quality is usually found in 'rich' areas.

I remember a friend bought a suit for tenner and found £65 in the pocket!

I bought a tux from "Next" not for a cruise but for a Mayors ball... It was only £99 love it.. Very modern, great fit and really good quality. I'll use it on future cruises... Out of pure laziness I'll stuff it in the suitcase and then get it pressed on board!

thanks to all for the replies, I think I will go ahead and purchase. We have a great vintage store nearby- would love a "Mad Men" era tuxedo.

The U-shaped waistcoat is making a comeback. In addition to looking great, it is more forgiving around the waist - as opposed to just a shirt or a cummerbund.

web.jpg?ver=13205462270001

web.png?ver=13205465540001

The U-shaped waistcoat is making a comeback. In addition to looking great, it is more forgiving around the waist - as opposed to just a shirt or a cummerbund.

Making a comeback? When did they disappear? I've always worn one. Hate cummerbunds.

Shiny

Please cease and desist. It's way too early here (especially with the time change this morning) for that sort of thing, especially after only one cup of coffee. ;)

I'm sorry I didn't mean to make you feel blue let's hope you are soon in the pink and not red with rage or white with anger. I don't want to incur black looks because you are browned off with me. Don't get green about the gills old boy try and rack up a little mellow yellow.

Shiny

Archived