Nassau for first time non-thrill seeker

Sand seeker

I am taking my sister on a cruise for her 40th b-day in Nov. Her first cruise, her first time to the Caribbean and her first vacation in 10 years! She is not a thrill seeker so looking for outing ideas with relaxation and beautiful scenery. I've been to Nassau previously (walked about town and went to a nearby beach), and would like to get her off the ship. Suggestions? Oh, nothing too expensive either... Thanks :)

• 2 months later...

There have been a couple hundred views on this questions, so I thought I would mention what we eventually decided to do, for those who were also wondering...

From the port exit in Nassua we took a left and walked along Bay Street which has many shops. I had researched Queens Staircase and Fort Fincastle and decided to take her there. From Bay Street there are signs directing the way to both sites. We took a right on Elisabeth Avenue and walked past the hospital to the entrance of the Queens Staircase. We both thought this was work seeing. If you climb to the top of the staircase and turn right, Fort Fincastle is close by. We walked around the grounds which have a great view from up top of the hill of the island, the port, ocean and the Atlantis Hotel in the distance. The inside of the Fort can be toured for $1. After this we walked another way to see other parts of Nassau; after returning to Elisabeth Ave, we took a left onto Shirley Street. On Parliment Street (I believe) we took a right. There is a pink building that is now used as a library that was once a jail. There is a lovely park area that has a monument in the center. This is also worth seeing. It is a memorial to those who have died in war. At the base of the structure are large flower arrangements from countries all over the world! After taking several photos there, we wondered in and out of shops, talking to some local people to ask about things we had seen and cultural information... It was a good day and my sister loved her time in Nassau.

Thanks for posting. It's always good to read what people have enjoyed seeing and doing. It's also particularly helpful to read reports of what one can do on their own without having to pay for an excursion, tour, etc.

There have been a couple hundred views on this questions, so I thought I would mention what we eventually decided to do, for those who were also wondering...

From the port exit in Nassua we took a left and walked along Bay Street which has many shops. I had researched Queens Staircase and Fort Fincastle and decided to take her there. From Bay Street there are signs directing the way to both sites. We took a right on Elisabeth Avenue and walked past the hospital to the entrance of the Queens Staircase. We both thought this was work seeing. If you climb to the top of the staircase and turn right, Fort Fincastle is close by. We walked around the grounds which have a great view from up top of the hill of the island, the port, ocean and the Atlantis Hotel in the distance. The inside of the Fort can be toured for $1. After this we walked another way to see other parts of Nassau; after returning to Elisabeth Ave, we took a left onto Shirley Street. On Parliment Street (I believe) we took a right. There is a pink building that is now used as a library that was once a jail. There is a lovely park area that has a monument in the center. This is also worth seeing. It is a memorial to those who have died in war. At the base of the structure are large flower arrangements from countries all over the world! After taking several photos there, we wondered in and out of shops, talking to some local people to ask about things we had seen and cultural information... It was a good day and my sister loved her time in Nassau.

Thanks for posting this! I'll be in Nassau next week and we are doing our own walking tour. This confirms what I have been reading about getting around on your own by foot.

I agree, thanks for posting. I've been going crazy trying to figure out what to do that's affordable but fun for me, my husband and our daughter. I want to SEE the island, not just sit on another beach all day (I also don't want to pay hundreds of dollars either! :) )

What did you do for lunch, if anything? There was a place or two I've heard on the boards, but still not sure.

Thanks for posting this! I'll be in Nassau next week and we are doing our own walking tour. This confirms what I have been reading about getting around on your own by foot.

Would love to hear all about it when you get back!:D We are considering trying to do this also!

I agree, thanks for posting. I've been going crazy trying to figure out what to do that's affordable but fun for me, my husband and our daughter. I want to SEE the island, not just sit on another beach all day (I also don't want to pay hundreds of dollars either! :) )

What did you do for lunch, if anything? There was a place or two I've heard on the boards, but still not sure.

We did walk down toward Senor Frogs and took some pics; and I asked if she wanted to eat lunch there. We had also walked by the Hard Rock Cafe... But she wanted to go back to the ship for lunch - it was easy enough to come and go.

I may have mentioned this on Trip Advisor and not here, but, when you get to the bottom entrance of the Queen's Staircase, you will likely run into locals who will "offer" to take you inside. They are just hoping to give you a tour so they can get a tip; do not confuse this with an admission fee. They are not intimidating... feel free to say hello to them and walk on by, showing your awe of the huge tree shadowing the top of the walls with its leafy canopy.

Senor Frogs had all kinds of party sounds coming from it at night. It just may be the place to be for the drinking crowd :)

My family and I have been to Nassau before with their teenage friends. They went on a tour of the Pirate Museum. We also walked around and went to a nice beach close by.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Archived