NCL Pearl in three weeks with 5 year old

gaiagrrl

Hi. My partner and I and our 5 year old daughter will be cruising on the NCL Pearl in just a few weeks (yahoo!) but I'm trying to wade through all the information and options and it's overwhelming, especially when you add a child into the mix. So, I guess I'm just wanting to hear from other parents - are there do's and don'ts we should know about, ideas for excusions, advice about things to do or not.

I've been told to pick up some floaty toys and bring them for any beach excursions. But I've also read that for instance, NCL Great Stirrup Key can have huge waits to get to the island and is really crowded when there. So is it better to just hang on the ship? Do excursions feel worth it when there is a young'ish child to figure in? We've booked a dolphin thingy in Cozumel but other than that, I don't know what might make sense.

Ok, a big rambly post but I hope there's something in it to respond to! Tips appreciated! And if there are other parents on the same sailing, we'd love to hear from you! Thanks, Kim

There are only "huge waits" if you must be the 1st off the ship! You can go at anytime...so have a big breakfast and take your time. You should be able to simply get on the next tender, and go!

Then, once you're there, it's a beach day! Splash in the surf...play in the sand...read a book (with a drink, of course!!!)...you don't have to stay all day...you may come and go as you like!

Personally, I see no need to pay for some excursion on the private islands...the day itself is included in your fare...why give them more money! Just use this as a fun, beach day. BBQ lunch is included as well, so you don't have to return to the ship for lunch.

Are you on our sailing on dec 4th? If so check out the roll call! Great group.

I will have my 3yo with us (and a 11mo). I plan on going to great stirrup cay. Really looking forward to it. The kids club has activities all day there too.

Otherwise as a family we personally choose to stay on the ship during the other ports. It is just wonderful having that huge ship to yourself with everyone in port. I am not a fan of tenders either, and our sailing we tender at nearly every port but one. Again this is a personal preference on our part. I LOVE having a port heavy itinerary knowing we have the ship to ourselves. (Then again we live in FL and go to the beach anytime we want.)

You will have an awesome vacation and I am so excited myself.

Archived