Enchantment - 10/20 - 10/29/11

HTML5

This was a birthday cruise (my 60th) and a well-needed vacation for my wife and me. It was my third cruise; my wife had been on several previous cruises years ago.

We flew out of Nashville on embarkation day and landed at BWI on time at 12:35p. We collected our luggage and a cab ($41 before tip) got us to the cruise terminal at 1:05p.

EMBARKATION

Processing was pretty well organized. The ship was sailing full so there were lots of people checking in. It took about 75 minutes from the time we entered the terminal to the time we boarded the ship.

The main flaw of the facility is that there is apparently no PA system. Listening to the security personnel shout instructions at the top of their lungs was a bit annoying. Predictably, however, they finally gave up yelling rather than go hoarse.

ENCHANTMENT OF THE SEAS

This was our first cruise with RCI and thus our first time on Enchantment. We quickly concluded that we like her very much. Enchantment is a comfortable and well-kept vessel; comfortably worn but not worn out. She is exactly the size ship DW and I prefer. Oasis-style megaships are not for us.

Our cabin (4518 Oceanview) was clean and well kept by our cabin steward Jose. Yes, the cabins are small, but perfectly adequate for two people. For more than two, all bets are off. Although the cabin is well forward, we never found the ship’s motion excessive. My wife and I both noticed the sewage smell others have commented about. It seemed to be most prevalent when the cabins were being cleaned. The smell was not overpowering and it did not affect our overall cruise experience, but RCI needs to correct the issue.

Crew and Staff-We found the ship’s crew and staff to be uniformly friendly, courteous and helpful. The various lounges and bars were comfortable and the bartenders pleasant. We tipped Jose and a couple of our favorite bartenders extra for plus service.

Favorite onboard haunts-The only place on the ship we never got visited was the Spotlight Lounge (something new for us to see on our next EOS sailing). However, there were several other locations we really enjoyed.

Pool Deck: We had wonderful weather on this cruise (until the last sea day) and the Pool Deck was a fun place to be. Far from having to worry about chair hogs, there were often deck chairs to be found in abundance. If you didn’t absolutely be in the front row next to the pools or hot tubs there were many places to lounge; sun, shade and in between. I saw very few obviously “saved” chairs.

DW and I love to “people watch” and the Pool Deck was our venue of choice.

Solarium: I swam only in the Solarium. The warmth, quiet and adults only vibe made it one of my favorite sanctuaries. I loved the salt water pool which rarely got crowded. During off times (early morning/evening) it was easy to enjoy a solitary swim. However, I have nothing good to say about the hotdogs, hamburgers or pizza served there.

Viking Crown Lounge: The Viking is another quiet and largely underused space on EOS. It’s a wonderful space to sip a drink and read, write or just gaze out the wraparound window.

During the day smooth jazz permeates the lounge; at night the vibe turns to disco or other contemporary pop music. DW and I went there regularly in the evening so I could enjoy a cigar (cigarette for her) and a cocktail. When I inevitably write a book while cruising, I’ll write it in the Viking.

Promenade: DW and I literally spent hours sitting in deck chairs (always available) contemplating the sun, the sea and the sky. Next cruise we have to get a balcony!

We liked the Champagne Bar and Boleros too. We found the Schooner to be a little impersonal and awkwardly laid out.

PASSENGERS

In brief, everyone we encountered on board was friendly and good-natured. There was a full range of ages and races and everyone seemed to be having a great time. The only incident of any note happened at dinner one night when a woman in the Main Dining Room shouted “You just wasted an hour of my time!” at one of the staff. I didn’t know and didn’t care what the issue was; I just felt sorry that she felt she had to react like that.

Lifeboat Mate: During the cruise I made a little game of picking out people I wouldn’t mind being stuck in a lifeboat with. We met Sam at breakfast one morning. He’d spent 40 years at sea as a merchant marine, but at his wife’s insistence they were taking their first pleasure cruise. Not only was it his first cruise, but in all his years at sea he’d never gone to the Caribbean! He said he had mostly been in the Mediterranean, Indian Ocean and the Pacific. For those long days, bobbing at sea in a crowded lifeboat I’m sure Sam would have plenty of stories to share.

FOOD

Food is a highly subjective issue. I’ve already given my opinion of the Solarium’s grub, so make what you will of the following:

Main Dining Room:

The meals in the MDR were hit and miss. One night I had shoulder of lamb that was simply superb. A few nights later I put my fork down after a couple of bite of turkey parmesan that had all the charm of a TV dinner. In between the food was ok. I could have made a meal of the scrumptious beef and veal tortacelli appetizer. My wife’s sole dish was overcooked and bland.

I enjoyed the cold soups and had one each night. The desserts were nicely presented but too often lacked any real flavor.

So far the meals served on the old Celebrity Galaxy (my very first cruise) represent the standard I’ve yet to see equaled.

As far as service is concerned the MDR staff is clearly undermanned and over worked. The maitre d’ and assistant waiter did the best they could, running from pillar to post, but service was often hurried. One night I sat for an hour before the (apparently) lone drinks waiter finally made his way to my table.

I understand that short of sailing with Cunard or Seabourn this is the best to be expected from main stream cruise lines which are constantly shaving expenses. I consider it part of the territory that goes with cruising.

CHOPS

We had a good meal in Chops. We didn’t realize the side dishes were “family size” and we ended up with more food than we could eat. The wait staff was good, but again, the meal took far too long on chairs that grew uncomfortable as time dragged on.

WINDJAMMER

Every negative thing you’ve heard about the Windjammer is true: it’s badly laid out and overcrowded and the food is merely palatable. What’s up with the scrambled eggs?

One of the most annoying aspects of the Windjammer is that passengers trying to get a coffee or tea have to compete with the wait staff getting drinks for other diners. Jousting for drinks caused more than a little frustration for all involved. There has to be a better way to organize the drink stations.

We found that breakfast and lunch in the MDR was a very nice alternative to the Windjammer. And I could order real fried eggs!

ENTERTAINMENT AND SPAS

We didn’t go to any shows or use the spa.

PORTS OF CALL

San Juan: We didn’t plan any excursions for San Juan. Instead we made reservations for my birthday dinner at Marmalade; a wonderful restaurant in old San Juan. In fact, because the ship docked at OSJ instead of the Pan American pier, we were within easy walking distance of the restaurant.

The meal was fabulous! The white bean soup is the food of the gods! Yes, it’s pricey, but well worth it.

St. Thomas: We did a bus tour just to have a look at the island. Beautiful vistas. We picked up a few items but no jewelry.

Samana: At Samana (the accent is on the last syllable) we also wanted to see the area so we did a bus excursion. First stop was a church, of all places. It’s supposed to be one of the oldest churches in the city, or something. We all got off the bus and filed into the church where tambourines and other instruments were handed out. The old preacher gave some information about the church and we sang some songs. After a low-key donation solicitation it was back on the bus and off to the Taino Indian Museum. The life-size displays and recorded tour were quite interesting, really.

Then we went to Puerto Bahia, a fancy condo complex with marina. It was a good place to get a restroom break, and although there was no sales pitch that I heard, I’m sure the owners didn’t mind having a bus load of potential customers see the facility.

We were all pretty tired, but there was one more stop: the Humpback Whale museum in downtown Samana. To me it was totatlly useless, but at least, it gave the six to eight local boys an opportunity to badger tourists into buying conch shells. This was the only negative aspect of the Samana stop and I hope the hawking by young boys (oddly, no girls) doesn’t get worse.

Labadee: Labadee was the first beach stop for DW and me and we loved it. RCI did a great job creating a very enjoyable beach resort experience. Lunch served by the EOS staff was a nice touch. We’d be happy to visit Labadee again.

DISEMBARKATION:

Well organized and efficiently handled.

Summary:

We had a wonderful experience on EOS. She’s a fine ship with a good, hard-working crew and staff. We met lots of nice people and saw interesting places. I hope we’ll be able to sail her again as soon as possible.

Glad to see that your tour of Samana was better than ours. We never got off the bus to see the church. We looked out the windows of the bus at the church. We saw the whale bones in the small museum. Then we went on a 4 hour tour of the countryside (which had not much to see). We ended up in the condo area but it was raining. I would have like to see the Taino Indian museum since I teach about them. But on the way back part of the road washed away and brought down an electric pole so that the bus could not get through. After 45 minutes (and our bus wondering if we would get back on time), they were able to move the pole. The ship waited because many tours did not get back on time because of the rain washing out roads.

Samana definitely has a ways to go as a cruise stop. The Taino Indian museum is definitely the high point of the bus tour. A fellow pax said the beach facility is very good and perhaps the other excursions are also worthwhile.

I did pick up a nice box of Dominican cigars at a reasonable price and overall the people seemed friendly. Perhaps not worth the effort of tendering to shore if you've visited previously, however.

Archived