Last TA for QM2 as British registered 10th Nov

southwestie

November 10th see,s QM2 sail to New york , British registered for the last time

Bon Voyage, I will still sail on her what ever happens:)

I am sailing January 3rd and was hoping that the re-flagging didn't happen until after the world cruise. While the re-flagging was inevitable in terms of the company's obligation to turn the highest profits possible, I lament the loss of the British registry, especially for the line's flagship, and all that goes with it. I always thought there was something special about RMS rather than MV.

Bobby

I am sailing January 3rd and was hoping that the re-flagging didn't happen until after the world cruise. While the re-flagging was inevitable in terms of the company's obligation to turn the highest profits possible, I lament the loss of the British registry, especially for the line's flagship, and all that goes with it. I always thought there was something special about RMS rather than MV.

Bobby

I agree it is sad, but will the letters RMS or MV make any difference in the long run

I at one time would have said yes it was important to me, now as I get older and as I see so much change in the world I dont know that I am so worried, I love Cunard, QM2 and QE and QV, I dont see that what they offer to me or any other passenger will change just because they are re registering the ships.

When I board the ship it will the same, in fact after the refit of QM2 it will I think be better, so better beds, carpets, etc will outshine the RMS

I agree it is sad, but will the letters RMS or MV make any difference in the long run

What? Was that the sound of Samuel Cunard turning over in his grave?:eek:

I guess only time will tell if it makes any difference or not, but in the meantime, my sympathy goes out to the staff of Cunard ships who were most immediately effected by this sudden change of registry. What a shame that the big rush to "offer weddings at sea" couldn't have been better handled. -S

What? Was that the sound of Samuel Cunard turning over in his grave?:eek:

I guess only time will tell if it makes any difference or not, but in the meantime, my sympathy goes out to the staff of Cunard ships who were most immediately effected by this sudden change of registry. What a shame that the big rush to "offer weddings at sea" couldn't have been better handled. -S

I agree with you, but what difference will it make to passengers who sail in the future, what will they find different

I agree with you, but what difference will it make to passengers who sail in the future, what will they find different

Rob, that is the 50 Million Dollar question!

But I think all (well, most of us anyway) are hoping for the best.

Cheers, -S.

I think she sails to NYC and changes the name etc on ropute and in port, returning Non british

You could be correct but my understanding is that she is British registered until Hamburg and the name change will take place during the upcoming refit. As a matter of interest, does the re-flagging not take place officially until the name is changed or not? I would have thought that it is re-flagged when the registration documents are signed and the legal process is complete, the name on the ship just being window dressing or that could be the crucial element. Doesn't matter of course, que sera, sera.

You could be correct but my understanding is that she is British registered until Hamburg and the name change will take place during the upcoming refit. As a matter of interest, does the re-flagging not take place officially until the name is changed or not? I would have thought that it is re-flagged when the registration documents are signed and the legal process is complete, the name on the ship just being window dressing or that could be the crucial element. Doesn't matter of course, que sera, sera.

I think it is just the paint job, it says end of November now.

This was a message from Cunard sent via Facebook, and can I find it now, no, I will look again later, check it out on your return next week

Just got off QM2 today and was told the paint job would be done during her refit.

Managed to get some nice photos in Maderia with the going to be much missed 'Southampton'.

If you want to get some photos on her return to Southampton on the 24th, don't forget the QM2 sails for Hamburg at noon.

will the letters RMS or MV make any difference in the long run

Probably not... afterall QE2 was never (officially) RMS.

Although QE2 was frequently refered to as RMS; in the press, on souvenirs and sometimes onboard such as on stationery, the fact is that Cunard never pursued the RMS designation for QE2 (even when she was still "job number 736" and when she was supposed to be just "QE") and the Royal Mail never granted it.

Archived