Negotiating better prices - another dumb question

MS52

I've been reading today where folks are offered upsells after final payment for a song. Here's my question......Do they ever negotiate price on new reservations?

We're a group of 15 -potentially 7 cabins. I KNOW we're not considered a group.

We're planning a winter getaway. Could be a cruise, could be land based.

One of the options is a RCI cruise that is well past final payment. I've been tracking it and it appears that they only sold one OV and one GS in the past 10 days. There's about 100 cabins unsold according to some of the cruise sale websites. I don't know if this is a high number or not.

The price hasn't hardly changed since I've been tracking it several months ago. So it's a higher price than I'm willing to pay and very little activity on sales. Does RCI ever offer a deal to a new reservation? Should I call them and ask or would I just be a fool? (answer kindly)

The other option is a NCL cruise at a price that I like but it's two days shorter and I prefer RCI.

No snarl-ly answers please. Just wondering if anyone ever had this happen. Thanks :o

I've been reading today where folks are offered upsells after final payment for a song. Here's my question......Do they ever negotiate price on new reservations?

[/font]

If you are looking to negotiate the price for your group with the cruise lines, the answer is very unlikely if at all.

All cruise lines have a set price which can and does change over time. But the price at the time of booking is the same given to their sales reps as well as travel agents.

If you or anyone can get the cruise line to lower the price, then they would have to offer the lower price to every travel agent and inside sales and new passenger.

Prices are calculated by the revenue department within a cruise line. They consider cost of cabin and sales projected to sailing.

Now with all that said you may be able to negotiate with your travel agent. Although RCI does not allow rebating or discounting you could get OBC or some other perks taken from his or her commission

Call them and tell them what you know, and make them an offer. The worst they can do is say no, and if you're correct, and they are not selling cabins, and the cruise departure is getting close, they may wish to take your offer rather than sail with that many more empty cabins.

Let us know how it goes.

I highly doubt that the "Customer Service Rep" answering the phone in the Reservations Center has any kind of authority to either accept nor reject your "offer"..I would suggest either going with a TA that may have more flexibility...

I highly doubt that the "Customer Service Rep" answering the phone in the Reservations Center has any kind of authority to either accept nor reject your "offer.

Thanks for all your replies. That's pretty much what I thought but wanted to check to see if anyone had successfully done this.

Archived