Just Off The Triump 11-7-11

jtwanabe

This was my 3rd cruise. Let me first say I learned a lot from this board not the least of which is that I wish I had learned more. But here is my impression of the whole thing.

My mother once said that there are people who if they were at the last supper would have asked for ham and cheese. It amazes me the things that people find to complain about and define their whole trip.

The parking and embarking was a snap. 30 minutes maybe. Nice people despite not giving me an upgrade. :(

Was directed to the Lido deck for snacks while our rooms were made ready. We boarded before 12:30. I was busy trying to send a file to my office and having a time of it.

Room #1297 is an interior stateroom. The bed was okay, the TV an antique tube thing right out of a pawn shop. Lights out and it was really dark and quiet enough for some serious sleeping.

I first thought they should call it the "Walmart of the Seas". But hey ... they be more or less just like me.

Food was was not memory making but it certainly was good enough. The worst meal I had was in the dinning room. Went once and didn't go back.

That's not a big complaint just wasn't worth the effort. The deli was good. The buffet was also good enough. Always fresh salad makings. Funny way they have two lines moving into each other but only one meat carving station. Could be asking for trouble with that arrangement. Always seemed

that some food station was not opened when it seemed it ought to be. Why close "chop sticks" at night? The soft ice cream was the best. Wasn't that semi transparent stuff you get at Jason's Deli but the real stuff like at Dairy Queen. The Pizza was okay but a little more cheese and ingredients and it would be fabulous.

I don't do a lot of shows or whatever but I think I would enjoy them if I did. Lots of quiet places to sit down and read a book. Be nice to keep games out of the library. Seniors are the worst offenders.

The crew was pretty friendly. My steward did a good job I thought.

Progresso was a day out of my life I will never get back. I walked around a lot for an hour or two and then got a bus excursion into Merida. I guess the ruins are worth a look I don't know. The 2.5 hour bus ride there was not my idea of a vacation. Other than that I think that Carnival should try to either give us a longer day in Cozumel or two days in Cozumel and pass that one up all together. It's really more of an industrial type port.

Carnival must be getting some type of a tax break for stopping there.

Our guide on the bus said that no one, not even in Merida (except the wealthy) use in-door plumbing. They all have like interior septic tanks Yikes!!! Also they all sleep on hammocks. That what the guy said repeatedly. It's a wonder they have any children.

Cozumel was sweeeet! I ended up at Mr. Santos. I think I got scammed directed there by the taxi driver. I saw they all signed a form when they dropped you off. Like they were getting a kick back for bringing you there.

But it was a nice place. Nice beach. For $50.00 it an all you can eat and drink thing with locker and the use of kayaks and snorkeling gear. While the water is clear the snorkeling there is very little sea life to sea. That was a disappointment but my fault for not sticking with my plan and listening to the advice I had gotten on this forum. Don't get me wrong .... if you want to kick back and chill in front of a crystal clear beach then this will foot the bill.

The way back was similar to the way up. Lots of water and relaxation.

Well that my 2 cents. All in all I had a very relaxing time and I'm going to make a cruise part of my annual pilgrimage.

Jtwanabe

Hey, got off the same cruise. I liked the new menu mostly, especially the frogs legs. Very slow dining room service, but I thought the food was fine.

Its true, on the ships that still have the chinese for lunch, its only open for lunch. If its changed to mongolian BBQ its still only open at lunch. I went up to the buffet during dinner and it was dead, so I can see why they close it at dinner.

As far as you wanting no games in there ... thats where they tell you to go play them, hahahahhahaa, too funny.

I guess I am too used to how Carnival does things. Overall good cruise. that weather 2 nights ago had me up at 3 am for pizza when the winds woke up me. that was fun.

thanks for your thoughts.

Hi JT,

I'm glad you were happy with your cruise. Thanks for the review. I'm curious to know if you made any friends on this trip. As I can remember, you were traveling solo, right? I kinda got the impression you were seeking relaxation, a change of scenery, and just some alone time.

I agree with you on Progresso & Cozumel. Love Cozumel.

Hey Firefly,

Would you go again? We are going in Feb and I can't wait. I hope we have made a good choice of going on the Triumph. How do you think it compared to Ecstasy?

We have been to both ports and enjoy both so that is not a concern...

Thanks!!

Hi JT,

I'm glad you were happy with your cruise. Thanks for the review. I'm curious to know if you made any friends on this trip. As I can remember, you were traveling solo, right? I kinda got the impression you were seeking relaxation, a change of scenery, and just some alone time.

I agree with you on Progresso & Cozumel. Love Cozumel.

I one of those people who can be a hoot in a crowd but cannot create a crowd if you know what I mean. I talked to several folks. Always invited people to share my table if they need a a seat. Gave a young couple some suggestions on dealing with sea sickness. Ran and go some napkins for a baby with an endless supply of spit up. So I did a few good deeds but can't say I made any friends. Didn't try very hard really. But I did RELAX!!!!!. In bed and reading by 10:00 pm every night.

The night of the bumpy ride I wanted to get up and see what the seas were like but the zzzzzz's overcame the seas. I blinked once and it was morning.

I really, really enjoyed it though. I learned so much form this forum.

Oh I didn't mention that one of the benefits of staying in the cheap seats (Riviera Level) and you self assist debark is that from the announcement to my car was about 15 minutes. Drove down the sea wall before heading home. Life is good.

Did you come to the meet and greet for CC? Im trying to think and dont remember any single men.

I completely forgot about the meet & greet. I wasn't completely sure when it was. (typical man without his wife I guess) So my loss. Oddly I had hope to at least meet you since your a bit of an icon on the boards and alway so helpful to the ignorant that walk among us ..... that would be me.

Hey Firefly,

Would you go again? We are going in Feb and I can't wait. I hope we have made a good choice of going on the Triumph. How do you think it compared to Ecstasy?

We have been to both ports and enjoy both so that is not a concern...

Thanks!!

Thats a hard question .. would I go again. I keep thinking I need fewer cruises on the same ships. This was the 5th time in a little over a year on Triumph, so for me, I might or might not go.. right now Im leaning toward I need a change of pace. I do like the ship. I loved the CD on Ecstasy, but we had Tex this time and I really enjoyed him.

OP did you like Triumph?? Would you book her again? You seem to have some mixed feelings.

Did this cruise a couple of weeks back and I tell you...we will book it again in a heartbeat....LOVED the Triumph...and really liked being inside on the lido deck....can't wait to get onboard once again...actually thinking of doing another 5 day in Feb for Valentines day with daughter/hubby and Sister/Hubby... and then the Sept cruise with Crazies on the Magic...but Triumph wilbe hard to beat for me!!!!

Glad ya'll had a good time G & No G, and Fire

Archived