Saturday drive to North Shore to watch surfers and luggage check in questions

cruisingjodi

We don't go out until 10:30 at night after getting off POA on the 3rd. We are thinking of renting a car and driving up to watch some surf competitions. Is that manageable traffic wise, and also does anyone know if united airlines will check our bags that early at the airport(9 AM)

because I think that is where we will pick up the car. Also thinking of showering at Al Moana park. Is that doable? thanks for any info. Jodi

No, you cannot check your luggage at 9 am for a 10 pm flight. I believe, but am not certain, that there is now at least one luggage storage service near the airport.

Driving to the north shore for the competition is another matter. There are few roads and they are mostly not highways. They will be clogged with people going to the same place you are. You could sit for hours in traffic, which is not my idea of a fun time. OTOH, it could be a "light" day and not have a huge amount of traffic. But we wouldn't chance it.

Are you looking for indoor hot showers or just the usual cold "rinse" showers? As far as I know, there are no indoor hot showers at Ala Moana beach park, but I do not know everything--not by a long shot.;)

beachchick

Last Saturday we had a 2:20pm flight on Hawaiian and could not check our luggage until 9:30am. So I doubt you will be able to check your luggage.

Another option is the Aloha Tower Market Place about a block or two from the pier. They have lockers and check luggage. However the charge is $5 and $10.

We don't go out until 10:30 at night after getting off POA on the 3rd. We are thinking of renting a car and driving up to watch some surf competitions. Is that manageable traffic wise, and also does anyone know if united airlines will check our bags that early at the airport(9 AM)

because I think that is where we will pick up the car. Also thinking of showering at Al Moana park. Is that doable? thanks for any info. Jodi

We faced the same problem. Our flight did no leave until 10:00pm.

We stewed over just what to do, and what to do with our luggage.

I had the concierge rent us a car. It was ready for us when we disembarked, and our luggage fit just fine into the trunk!

We had no plans, and not even a map, so we just drove around the island.

Once you get 2 miles out of HNL the traffic is nil! We drove where we wanted, stopped where and when we wanted, and had a grande day!

Just keep the ocean on your left, and eventually you will end right back up in HNL.

We visited the Dole Plantation, North Beach, Turtle Beach, and every other beach that caught our attention. We only got lost once, and even that was pleasant. You can most certainly leisurely drive around the island and still get back to HNL in plenty of time.

The rental car cost us (I think) $34 and the tank of gas cost us about $40.

Actually, it was the best day of our week!

Thanks. I have a rental car reserved so I guess we'll just follow the coast as long as we are still up to it after the cruise. I just wanted to dump the luggage so we don't have to worry about it. But trunk should be safe. I have heard varying opinions on that, but we don't have that many valuables anyway. So many wonderful things to see and do!!!

Thanks. I have a rental car reserved so I guess we'll just follow the coast as long as we are still up to it after the cruise. I just wanted to dump the luggage so we don't have to worry about it. But trunk should be safe. I have heard varying opinions on that, but we don't have that many valuables anyway. So many wonderful things to see and do!!!

You'll be fine! I would suggest that your luggage is safer in the trunk of a rental than it would be left in the hands of the TSA.

Somewhere after the North Beach (I forget just where) you will run across a shrimp truck parked on the ocean side of the road. Their shrimp is outstanding!

Archived