Camp Carnival - 9yo, signing self out question

Bibble

Next week will be our first cruise where my daughter is 9 years old, and can have the ability to sign herself out if I choose.

I have heard they do a scavenger hunt, but can only participate if they are allowed to sign themself out.

My question is - is it ONE blanket permission, or can I change the permission each time? Meaning, I'm wondering if I can check the box that no, she can't sign herself out, but the day of the scavenger hunt, sign something that says she can? Or is it either YES, or NO, for the whole cruise?

Has anyone encountered this already?

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!

I put down that my 10yo could not sign herself out but the day they did the hunt I talked to the camp carnival staff and said she could do the hunt. She didn't stay in the camp all the time so when the hunt was scheduled we dropped her off for that.

Thank you! That's the exact answer I was looking for :)

Next week will be our first cruise where my daughter is 9 years old, and can have the ability to sign herself out if I choose.

I have heard they do a scavenger hunt, but can only participate if they are allowed to sign themself out.

My question is - is it ONE blanket permission, or can I change the permission each time? Meaning, I'm wondering if I can check the box that no, she can't sign herself out, but the day of the scavenger hunt, sign something that says she can? Or is it either YES, or NO, for the whole cruise?

Has anyone encountered this already?

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!

Im curious to find this out too---- we are cruising next week too with a 9 year old. What ship are you on?

I have a now-11 year-old (he'll be 12 on our next cruise) who sailed in the 9-11 group for a number of cruises. It was one blanket permission for us - but what we would do when son was 9 was to allow him to sign in and out and one of us would take him to the Camp Carnival location at the beginning and meet him at the end. He knew (under penalty of losing things like arcade privileges) that he was to stay with Camp Carnival and not wander off. The advantage of this arrangement was that we didn't have to stand in line with son to check in or out.

I have a now-11 year-old (he'll be 12 on our next cruise) who sailed in the 9-11 group for a number of cruises. It was one blanket permission for us - but what we would do when son was 9 was to allow him to sign in and out and one of us would take him to the Camp Carnival location at the beginning and meet him at the end. He knew (under penalty of losing things like arcade privileges) that he was to stay with Camp Carnival and not wander off. The advantage of this arrangement was that we didn't have to stand in line with son to check in or out.

Good idea.

I had been wondering too as our DD will be 9 when we take our family cruise in August.

Last May on the Splendor our twins were 9 and we felt they were not old enough to sign themselves out so we signed the form stating they could not sign themselves out.

Of course when the scavenger hunt came they wanted to go. We spoke with the counselors and they teamed our daughters up into a group with a 11 yr old and 10 yr old girl. We changed the permission to sign themselves out. As soon as the hunt was over we changed it back to no sign out.

So yes it is a blanket permission but you can change it back and forth.

I love this post! We are sailing on the Magic in January with our 10 year old. I had heard that you have the choice of a blanket let them sign out and go on the scavenger hunt or don't let them sign out and they miss the scavenger hunt. I have been so nervous thinking about her having the option of signing herself out and possibly getting lost. I like the idea of letting have the option of signing herself out, but having her stay at Camp Carnival until we get there. We are going to have to put restrictions on her options, maybe just allowing her to check herself out and come and meet us. Looking at the deck plans for the Magic, she should be able to meet us around the pool area.

My son moves up to the 9-11yo group on our next cruise. We are handling it by giving permission for him to sign in/out, yet making it very clear to him that he is NOT to sign himself out of camp for anything but the scavenger hunt.

We see three benefits to this: 1) alleviates the need for us to stand in line to sign him in; 2) allows him to participate in the scavenger hunt; and, most importantly, 3) gives him a sense of responsibility and a chance to prove that he can conduct himself properly within a set of very clear boundaries.

It's a long cruise (14 nights) so we'll see how he does the first week. If he follows all the rules like I expect he will, we'll likely give him a couple of chances to spread his wings a little and see how he handles it.

We do the same as many others. We sign the form saying he can sign self in and out, but tell him he is only to sign out for those activities the group is doing outside of camp and that otherwise one of us with meet him to sign him out. It has always worked well and he has never signed out when he was not supposed to.

We do the same as many others. We sign the form saying he can sign self in and out, but tell him he is only to sign out for those activities the group is doing outside of camp and that otherwise one of us with meet him to sign him out. It has always worked well and he has never signed out when he was not supposed to.

On our latest cruise in September on the Elation, my dd was in the 9-11 group. She loves, loves, loves camp carnival. I was not comfortable at all with her signing her self out and wandering around looking for us. I still get turned around sometimes on the ships and finally realize I'm not where I thought I was, so I know it would be difficult for a child to navigate.

I was fine with the scavenger hunt since she would be with a group of kids, but other than that, she knew she couldn't sign herself out.

Imagine my surprise when I went to get her one day for lunch and she wasn't there. Posted pickup time was, I think, 11:45, I was there 15 minutes early. The group was supposed to be in the disco and it was empty. So I walked up to the CC playroom on deck 11. Not there, either. It was empty, with a sign stating they were closed for the lunch break, till around 2:00.

I was almost in tears! I work with abused children and I guess it has made me hyper-vigilant about my kids and what can happen to them. I found my DH at the pool and we went looking for her. We founf her in the room, crying because she was scared and thought she was in trouble and didn't know how to find us. She said that the counsleors made all of the kids leave because they had a meeting.

Later when I spoke to the CC counselor, I was told that I had been late and all children had to leave at the designated time. I politely explained that I was at least 15 minutes early and that I knew they had a meeting and had put all the kids out. She really didn't say anything after that, no apology or anything. Kinda of a "so what" attitude.

My advice would be to have a designated meeting place, which is common sense. Looking back, I can't believe that we didn't discuss it in advance. I just assumed that since she was not allowed to sign herself out she would be supervised by an adult until her father or I picked her up.

On our latest cruise in September on the Elation, my dd was in the 9-11 group. She loves, loves, loves camp carnival. I was not comfortable at all with her signing her self out and wandering around looking for us. I still get turned around sometimes on the ships and finally realize I'm not where I thought I was, so I know it would be difficult for a child to navigate.

I was fine with the scavenger hunt since she would be with a group of kids, but other than that, she knew she couldn't sign herself out.

Imagine my surprise when I went to get her one day for lunch and she wasn't there. Posted pickup time was, I think, 11:45, I was there 15 minutes early. The group was supposed to be in the disco and it was empty. So I walked up to the CC playroom on deck 11. Not there, either. It was empty, with a sign stating they were closed for the lunch break, till around 2:00.

I was almost in tears! I work with abused children and I guess it has made me hyper-vigilant about my kids and what can happen to them. I found my DH at the pool and we went looking for her. We founf her in the room, crying because she was scared and thought she was in trouble and didn't know how to find us. She said that the counsleors made all of the kids leave because they had a meeting.

Later when I spoke to the CC counselor, I was told that I had been late and all children had to leave at the designated time. I politely explained that I was at least 15 minutes early and that I knew they had a meeting and had put all the kids out. She really didn't say anything after that, no apology or anything. Kinda of a "so what" attitude.

My advice would be to have a designated meeting place, which is common sense. Looking back, I can't believe that we didn't discuss it in advance. I just assumed that since she was not allowed to sign herself out she would be supervised by an adult until her father or I picked her up.

Scary situation but your child was smart. Going to the room was a great option instead of trying to find you.

It is true that this scavenger hunt has the children wondering the ship without the camp counselors ,if so is it worth signing them out?

On Dream in Jan this was true - infact my daughter saw us on the lido and told the group she was just staying with us - she said some of them were just running around and not even looking for the items and doing stuff she didn't feel comfortable with - but she did enjoy the craft times in the camp

I also was uncomfortable with my son checking himself out but after the first time he went - i gave him permission. Our deal was that I would meet him at the bottom of the stairs after the activity/day was over. If I went by and he was not there when he was supposed to be - he was done going.

He's now 15 and we still have the same rule. I go by once a session and make sure he's there. If he isn't, he better be in our room. If he is wandering around, then he can be my buddy the rest of the trip. ;)

It all depends on each child... we let our 10 year old have the option to sign himself in and out last week on the Splendor. It worked great and it helped him learn to manage his time with the various events he wanted to attend. We also used walkie talkies and kept in constant communication so we knew where he was going.

One thing I would like to add is that if you give your children permission to sign in/out, be sure to make the staff aware if you want the child to say after the babysitting/fees starts. A few years back we told our daughter that we were going to an event and wanted her to stay an extra half hour past 10:00 and that we would pick her up on our way back to the cabin. At 10:00 the staff told her she had to leave, and she was not aggressive/vocal enough to tell the staff our wishes and was very upset when they made her leave. She went back to the cabin and was scared to be by herself so she went back to camp since she was crying they let her back in.

Guest LoveMyBoxer
One thing I would like to add is that if you give your children permission to sign in/out, be sure to make the staff aware if you want the child to say after the babysitting/fees starts. A few years back we told our daughter that we were going to an event and wanted her to stay an extra half hour past 10:00 and that we would pick her up on our way back to the cabin. At 10:00 the staff told her she had to leave, and she was not aggressive/vocal enough to tell the staff our wishes and was very upset when they made her leave. She went back to the cabin and was scared to be by herself so she went back to camp since she was crying they let her back in.

Did you sign her up to stay past 10??? If not, then the kids are sent out of the club. Kids can't just "tell" a counselor that they want to stay past 10, it is paid babysitting, and thus requires you SS card.

My son is 9 yo and i consider he is too young to sign himself out.

It' a big city, i dont want my kids alone without proper supervision.

What if something happen while he is out on his own... i would die !

I always lock the doors and put valuables in the safe but i would leave my 9 yo son alone with the crowd ?

My son is 9 yo and i consider he is too young to sign himself out.

It' a big city, i dont want my kids alone without proper supervision.

What if something happen while he is out on his own... i would die !

I always lock the doors and put valuables in the safe but i would leave my 9 yo son alone with the crowd ?

As you said, he's your son and how you deal with him is your concern.

Not every 9, 10, 11 etc. year old kid is the same. :)

Archived