Does DW need professional help?

drivemecrazy

Here's my problem. When we book a cruise it's always at least a year away. I instantly begin looking at excursions, watch the port web cams, look on cruise critic EVERYDAY! I mean that's normal, right? After reading all the posts on here it seems like I'm a normal cruise person. Now my DW doesn't even want to talk about it until a month before. Now that's just not right. Should I seek help for her or is there a support group she can go to? Granted, our DD is getting married the month after we get back, but where are her priorities? Any suggestions would help a lot.

Here's my problem. When we book a cruise it's always at least a year away. I instantly begin looking at excursions, watch the port web cams, look on cruise critic EVERYDAY! I mean that's normal, right? After reading all the posts on here it seems like I'm a normal cruise person. Now my DW doesn't even want to talk about it until a month before. Now that's just not right. Should I seek help for her or is there a support group she can go to? Granted, our DD is getting married the month after we get back, but where are her priorities? Any suggestions would help a lot.

Yes, looks like you have a real problem. Probably due to a chemical imbalance:p She probably needs a DOD and some cruise therepy.

DH does exactly what your DW does. I think the best part about a cruise is the planning and anticipation. Enjoy every minute of being on this site. I know for me that once we get on board we have a fantastic time. Kepp enjoying the planning and anticipation about the trip.:)

Haha, my husband asked to not see too many pictures of the ship because he wanted to "be surprised". Meanwhile, I have deck layouts memorized, maps of port cities printed out and have read reviews up the #!@# for excursions planned and not planned.

:)

HAHA. I attribute it to personality type. I just took a class on myers briggs personality type indicators- lol. I learned that I am a planner for sure. I like finality, I like to know what I am doing. Heck, if we are planning on going out to dinner Saturday, I not only want to know where we are going know I want to look over the menu and decide what I intend to eat. DH is the opposite. He doesn't plan, he goes with the flow. Last year we went on a land vacation to an AI in Mexico. If you asked me about it 6 months before we left, I could have told you the names of the restaurants, numbers of bars, location of the pools and what activities we were going to do. If you talked to DH, he could tell you that we were going to Mexico, but he wouldn't have remembered the name of the TOWN, much less the resort. In some ways I think its good when one member of each couple is the spontaneous one and the other is the planner, because not only would we drive each other crazy, but if DH actually took part in the planning, I couldn't control everything.

Oh and for our cruise, I pretty much have my dinner selections made. lol.

My DH has been a silent member of this same group! I am constantly asking him "are you ok?" "do you really want to go?" "are you even remotely excited about going on this cruise?" I get a monotone "I'm ok" "yes" and "Yes". Now how am I supposed to interpret all of this?

I have no suggestions as I am in the same 'boat' as you (pun intended):p!!

Haha, my husband asked to not see too many pictures of the ship because he wanted to "be surprised". Meanwhile, I have deck layouts memorized, maps of port cities printed out and have read reviews up the #!@# for excursions planned and not planned.

:)

Funnier still is the fact that I have been reading/posting nonstop since I discovered this site less than 24 hrs ago. Meanwhile, my man has been more engrossed with preparing for the 10 day trip were starting in the morning. The cruise isn't for another month!

Funny. I am like you. But my husband is mad at me for booking Allure of the Seas all the way in June 2013 (anniversary cruise!) not because he does not want to go, but because he is concerned that I am going to talk about the cruise every day between now and then!

I asked my DH about moving to another cabin, his reply was 'you know I don't care until it's cruise time". At that time he will ask a hundred question and wonder why I made this chioce or that chioce. Ughhh!!!

Why want they get with the program? This cruise is going to happen rather they are involved or not. An informed cruiser is a happy cruiser!

You are not alone! My husband just wants to know when to bring the suitcases down from the attic.

Uh-huh...this is my husband exactly. I have 312 days:eek: and all i can talk about is this cruise. I can't wait until the Holidays so we can sit down and reserve the hotels and narrow down how many days we are staying pre- and post-cruise:D

HAHA. I attribute it to personality type. I just took a class on myers briggs personality type indicators- lol. I learned that I am a planner for sure. I like finality, I like to know what I am doing. Heck, if we are planning on going out to dinner Saturday, I not only want to know where we are going know I want to look over the menu and decide what I intend to eat. DH is the opposite. He doesn't plan, he goes with the flow. Last year we went on a land vacation to an AI in Mexico. If you asked me about it 6 months before we left, I could have told you the names of the restaurants, numbers of bars, location of the pools and what activities we were going to do. If you talked to DH, he could tell you that we were going to Mexico, but he wouldn't have remembered the name of the TOWN, much less the resort. In some ways I think its good when one member of each couple is the spontaneous one and the other is the planner, because not only would we drive each other crazy, but if DH actually took part in the planning, I couldn't control everything.

And I think you're right! It's probably better we are paired with people who are spontaneous. Or who like to go along for the ride. I am not happy if I'm not planning a vacation---it keeps me (sort of) sane.

However, I always say, if I planned my career like I plan my vacations, I'd be successful. I guess we plan what we enjoy planning.

:pT. umph

Clearly, she needs help. My husband is the same though! He doesn't get all pumped up about looking at ports or pictures and doesn't understand why I love CC! Maybe our spouses do need a support group.... I am the one who makes a binder for each trip, yes you read that right, a binder detailing different activities in each port, maps of each port, reviews of restaurants I want to try in that port, etc. Drives my husband batty. We don't even have our next cruise booked yet, but I am on here just about daily =) I am usually glad my husband is laid back.... until he starts asking me for the umpteenth time what we're doing in port, or where this or that is located, or when we need to be somewhere. And then I want to harm him for making fun of my binder =)

Does not sound like it is a male or female thing-just two different styles-we on CC are the planners-the other halves are the ones that are glad they have a planner! Until...something goes wrong..and the planner gets the blame. Last night, we were talking about the tours and whalewatching. When I mentioned 12 people on our roll call were all going on the same boat and 4 more wanted to go-he was concerned that too many people would keep him from moving around on the boat. I explained to him that the boat we will be on is smaller and individual seats we have to stay in, as opposed to the boat we were on in Alaska for whalewatching where he could move all around for best picture taking. :mad:-my husband, so I sent him the link to look at the website for the whalewatching.

We are going on a South African safari in June, 2012 and when we did one in East Africa, we were inside a Landrover with an open top, so he could move around for best pics. The safari in 2012, we will have like a large open jeep with individual seats that we will have to stay in and not move around for good pics, because we will be just yards from wild animals and only thing stopping them will be the guy on the front of the jeep with a big ole rifle. As much as I like cruising, an African safari is the trip of a lifetime, if you can ever do one.

My DH suffers from the same affliction! I spend time on CC daily, and start planning from the moment we book. Just deciding which cruise to take requires a great deal of research! My DH packs the day before we leave, I start weeks in advance! Just the difference in our personality, and I tend to do the same for land vacations. Part of the excitement for me is in the planning.

You are not alone! My DW doesn't really care much about the planning and anticipation either.

For our last cruise, we were driving to Port Canaveral to board the Carnival Dream, and with about one hour to go before arriving, she finally said: "So what's the name of our ship and where are we going?" :eek: LOL

When I book a cruise, I tell my DW, she writes it on her calendar and forgets about it until its time to pack. She's just happy to know she's going somewhere and that I took care of aaaall the planning!

I wish my hubby would travel with me :mad:

He won't even leave the town we live in. I take my daughter everywhere I go or I would be stuck in town as well.

I am also the planner type. My daughter made fun of me on our first cruise for all the planning I did but after the cruise she turned and said "mom, I'm so glad that you took all that time planning our first cruise. You made this a trip I will never forget."

So here I am again, planning yet another trip she'll hopefully never forget.

Part of me really wishes my husband would join us! (part of me really enjoys the "mommy and me" time. That's what we call it)

Clearly, she needs help. My husband is the same though! He doesn't get all pumped up about looking at ports or pictures and doesn't understand why I love CC! Maybe our spouses do need a support group.... I am the one who makes a binder for each trip, yes you read that right, a binder detailing different activities in each port, maps of each port, reviews of restaurants I want to try in that port, etc. Drives my husband batty. We don't even have our next cruise booked yet, but I am on here just about daily =) I am usually glad my husband is laid back.... until he starts asking me for the umpteenth time what we're doing in port, or where this or that is located, or when we need to be somewhere. And then I want to harm him for making fun of my binder =)

I make a binder, too! This must be a personality thing. My partner loves vacations, but I am completely in charge of planning them. Sometimes it causes some stress when I feel like I have to make ALL of the decisions, but the truth is, that I love not only having the control, but spending my time wandering the boards and getting other people's opinions. Someone above mentioned Meyers-Briggs types--I'm an INFJ. I am fairly introverted, and like to be very low key during vacation since I'm a pretty high-stress person. On my last cruise I didn't even try to meet any of the awesome people from the boards...but there is something great about planning the trip with the input of everyone, and the excitement that comes from all the conversations here! I'm thinking of making more of an effort on the next cruise, though, to meet some of you all!

I think we were seperated at birth. I am exactly the same as you. DH asked me if I wanted to go on a date Friday night. My first thought is....ok where are we going? Do we need to make reservations. Do we want to take the train into Charlotte? ETC......... I have a problem. :p

At least you have your priorities in order.:eek:;)

My DW just ask me when do I need to put in or vacation and what time does our flight leave , last cruise she wasnt even sure the name of the ship:eek:

In her defense , I am retired because of a disablity and she works a lot of hours as a GM of a company , so I do all the planning and the whatnot. But she really doesnt seem to get into like she used to , guess after almost 30 years of marriage she trust my judgments on things , I pick the rooms , set up the excursions she kind of shows up and is not dissapointed :):cool:

Archived