Cruising during hurricane season

ellikitten

Hi all,

I was looking into a cruise for this October and am wondering if it really is dangerous to cruise during this time (obviously this is why the prices are usually cheaper). But is it mostly just hype? What has your personal experience been? The itinerary I'm considering is S. Caribbean.

Thanks!

elli

Of course there is some risk. The captains know how to handle most weather situations as shown by the 2004 season where ships moved out of the storm's way. But the biggest down-size is that you may miss ports of calls. Some people were even delayed at sea a few extra days. Wait -- is that bad or good? ;-)

I don't think it is so much dangerous as aggrevating and inconvenient. We cruised in the middle of 4 hurricanes last year. Two in Florida and two on the Pacific coast, all on the same cruise! (Panama Canal) The MAJOR hurdle was getting to the ship. We could not get to Florida from the Northeast. The cruise left a day late to accomodate, but over 1000 people either cancelled or could not make it. After we were actually on the ship it was fine. The captain was awesome. It was very rocky a few nights, but we are from Cape Cod where many days on the water are spent in 5-10 foot seas and 20 mph wind on a 21 ft boat, so we are used to rough water. We most likely would have cancelled our cruise, except for the fact we had a 2 week land vacation planned from LA back to MA with tons of reservations already made. If there is a hurricane, you can cancel with no penalty. I would cruise again this time of year. Your best bet is don't make this a once in a lifetime cruise or a "must do" cruise. Be flexible in your mind that you may not be able to make it, then, when the weather turns out to be beautiful, you will have a wonderful time!

I've cruised at the beginning of October and the middle of November, and had no problem... it did rain a bit on both cruises, but it's so warm it wasn't a bother, and the sun came out quickly. There is lots to do on the ship in that case. If you're in the Southern, I know there is less risk than the East or West.

I dont agree that its dangerous- I am sure the cruise lines wil lnot put the passengers OR the ship in harms way at any cost. If you have your heart set on a particular port-- dont book a cruise during hurricane season. If you can go with the flow and not be upset since plans could change--then this is the best time to go. In the past we have cruised during the last week in Aug and the first week in Sept- havenot had any problems at all.

We had our cruise cancel last September due to hurricanes. Carnival tried to make it work, but the Hurricane decided to exit out of Tampa where we were sailing out of. They called daily for the last 2 days telling us the changes that would be made to avoid the weather and then finally to tell us it was canceled. We were really bummed! We live in Orlando and that was the second hurricane of the year. We had been stuck in our apartment (the whole city was on curfew) for four days with no power! When the cruise canceled we went and stayed at a Disney hotel for a few days to try and relax. It was a good thing, when we got home our neighbors said the power had just come back on that day! Also Carnival had our refund to us within a week! I cruised the same exact week the year before and had a great trip! It's just hit or miss!

I met a couple from the Bahamas that went on a Western Caribbean cruise out of Florida during hurricane season. Wouldn't you know that a hurricane blew in and the ship was diverted to...the Bahamas for a week. You win some, you lose some.:confused:

Archived