Bar Gratuity

sfbear

NCL adds a 15% gratuity to all beverage service, either at a bar, deck or dining room. Would I be naive in assuming the server gets the 15% or does it go in a pool for division among the servers, or does the company get it?

There have been so many theories given about the distribution of the automatic gratuities, so I wonder what the thoughts are aboug the beverage add-ons (for our convenience)?

I usually provide my favorite bartender with an envelope at the end of the trip.

Rich

I am not sure of exactly how the 15% is distributed but giving cash assures the server/bartender gets the money. If you put extra on the check they may not.

Here is how it works for the servers as explained to me. They are given a $1000 a month draw against tips. If they have a slow month the extra on the tip will go against the shortfall. If you give cash they get the draw and the extra money.

As in most situations cash is king.

Seaward 1/89,Southward II 1/91,Windward 10/93,

Norway 3/94,4/96

Dreamward 4/97

Dream 12/99

QE2 4/02

Carnival Spirit 7/02

NCL Sun 10/03

NCL Dawn 2/03,7/03,2/04

No Clock = No Next Cruise

We were on the "Sky" over New Years and noticed that you no longer had the option to give an additional tip on the bar receipt. When I was chatting with one of the officers about this, he said that the reason was they were having to many passengers that would place an extra tip on the receipt only to remove it at the end of the cruise when they saw how much their bar bill was. You can however give cash.

OceanDreams

Living life to the fullest

My husband is a former NCL barwaiter and he received 10% of that tip. The other 5% was divided amongst the bartenders, head bartender, and bar manager. If you want to give them something extra I would definintely recommend giving them cash on the side. They are allowed to keep that for themselves.

Archived