Car rental drop off before cruise (Cape Liberty)

angel 77

Flying into EWR a few days before a cruise in April (TA from NJ-ROM). Want to rent a car for the few days to pick up some last minute things, and then drop off as close to the pier as we can (or at the airport)...good or bad idea? Any other suggestions? What would be the cost of taxi from EWR to the pier?

Thanks...I was thinking that it will be best to return the car to the airport and take a cab to the port...

If you go to a rental company's Web site, they will list locations. If you see a location that might be more convenient for a drop-off, check the price online. One-way rental charge (sometimes just built into the base rate, making that higher) might make it worthwhile to stick with your plan to return the car to the airport and then shuttle. But worth checking.

If you go to a rental company's Web site, they will list locations. If you see a location that might be more convenient for a drop-off, check the price online. One-way rental charge (sometimes just built into the base rate, making that higher) might make it worthwhile to stick with your plan to return the car to the airport and then shuttle. But worth checking.

There are no close to the port rental agencies. There is an Enterprise in Bayonne but they are open limited hours. And WATCH some of the airport car rentals. I just got back from 6 days in NYC/NJ. I rented via Priceline (great price out of EWR) and got Alamo. The car was fine, the service was good, the price was extremely good ($150 less than renting out of JFK) BUT getting the car back to Alamo could be a mess if you don't know the area.

When you are on the road to the airport, there is a sign marking rental car return, just like most airports. BUT Alamo and a couple of others are NOT in that area. Thank goodness, I know the area, went down to the Gulf station (past the majority of rental car places) to fill up the car and had to turn around to get to Alamo (on the opposite side of 1 & 9 from all the other car rental return places).

Just an FYI. I think it was Advantage and Thrifty that were also in the area but I could be wrong. I was having enough problems just trying to get through the traffic on 1 & 9 at 4:30 yesterday afternoon to really pay attention.

Archived