Windstar Excursion vs "On Your Own"

themutis

We've been on a few cruises on the larger ship lines and have stayed away from their excursions. We have always feared feeling like cattle when the thousands depart the ship.

With windstar being so small, what do people recommend... taking a windstar excursion or booking out own excursion. Have you typically found the windstar excisions to be good?

We are on the Barbados-Barbados cruise and all of the windstar excursions are 1/2 day excisions in the mornings.

Any advice is most appreciated.

Eileen

We are on the same cruise departing on February 4. In the past we have very rarely booked cruise excursions preferring to do research and book our own.

However, on this particular cruise, I have initially booked some of our excursions through Windstar for varying reasons.

St. Lucia - Have been here twice. First time went with Cosol and really enjoyed it. Second time (because we had our own group) did a private tour through Cosol. Mandoo also receives great reviews. Despite being here twice, we've never spent any time on Pigeon Island, so this day will be explore Pigeon Island/beach day. Make sure if you book with an independent tour that they are aware that you will be at Pigeon Island since this is not the normal cruise port. St. Lucia is a beautiful island and we have enjoyed our tour both times. However, be aware that it is a long day and out of necessity you will spend a fair amount of time driving, although there are frequent stops. This never bothered us because it is just the way it is on St. Lucia. But it seems that some of the negative reviews that Cosol and Mandoo receive always talk about the winding, up and down roads, etc.

Bequia - Visited here about twenty years ago and I'm sure it has changed. Booked the Caribbean Sail & Snorkel through Windstar. In my research, there seemed to be very few independent tours with virtually no reviews. This is a small island visited by only a handful of cruise ships which is why I booked through Windstar. After our tour, we'll still have time to explore the island some. As of twenty years ago, there is one small (and at the time, dirty) beach near the port. There is another prettier beach further away in the Admiralty Bay area that is within walking distance but if I remember correctly it was maybe a 20 minute to half hour walk. You can also take a taxi to Friendship Bay.

Tobago Keys - Definitely a beach day for us. It appears that there are no tours through Windstar - the reason for that is my research turned up no tours at all. If you find out something different, please let me know.

Mayreau - We booked the Grenadines Island Escape through Windstar because it sounded very interesting. Again, I found no independent tours.

Grenada - Another island we have visited previously and had taken an independent island tour. I am still undecided on what we will do here.

My approach is to go ahead and book the tours through Windstar that I think we might enjoy. Pay attention to the cancellation policy. If you find an independent tour that you like better, you can always cancel the Windstar tour. Of the tours I have booked, I remember one of them stated a limit of 10 passengers, so I wanted to make sure we had a spot.

Check back and let us know what you decide to do.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to everyone for their guidance. Here is what we have planned so far. Just not sure about Bequia and Mayrea - whether we should just hang on the islands and explore.

We are flying into Barbados the day of cruise due to work committments.

St Lucia - We have vacationed at Jalousie Plantation which is located right between the two Pitons. Completely amazing venue. We did a few tours when we were there (volcanic water fall, etc). So this time, we are planning on exploring Pigeon Island. Seems like there is plenty to see and do. Hiking around to Fort Rodney and Signal Peak, having lunch or a drink at Jambe De Bois, relaxing on the beach and snorkeling (although I read that the snorkeling isn't exceptional - but still fun). I've heard you can rent beach chairs here. Seems like a full day to me

Bequia - Have NOT booked anything. I'm torn about whether to explore the island on our own, or booking the morning Snorkel trip offered by Windstar. As an animal lover, I feel compelled to visit the Old Hegg Turtle Sanctuary and we will do this in the afternoon if we wind up on the snorkeling trip.

Tobago Keys - A beach and snorkeling day - have read how beautiful it is.

Mayreau - Contacted Windstar and was told their Beach BBQ will be later in the afternoon so we might book their excursion to Mopion and Union Island. Sounds interesting. But I'm torn about whether we should just hike around and explore the island - I've heard it beautiful.

Grenada - Have contacted La Sagesse Nature Center and have booked their Nature Walk Package - this includes transportation, lunch at their rated restaurant, and a guided nature hike, plus beach time at La Sagesse beach - a quiet secluded beach.

We are so excited for this trip

Sounds like you've come up with a great plan.

Bequia - This is not a very large island. If you book a morning tour you would probably still have plenty of time to visit the places you wish in the afternoon. I'm not sure, but I'm hoping that the snorkel trip sails past "Moonhole". A unique area on Bequia which is very interesting when viewed from the water.

Grenada - Did you contact La Sagesse directly to arrange your tour? This really sounds like an interesting alternative on Grenada since we've toured the island previously.

Archived