First Time Tipping Question

wbsander

My wife and I are cruising for the first time Dec. 26 on Victory. We are frequent travelers to the Caribbean, but this is our first cruise. I've seen a lot of controversy on here about tipping, and a new/increased tipping policy, but its a little over my head because I really don't know how it was done in the past. I know I am going to pay a per person/per day gratuity, and I understand it went up a little, but I don't understand all the discussion on changing and/or reallocating tips. I'm therefore hoping someone might just give me a little Cruise Tipping 101 course, without getting into anything too controversial?

For what its worth, I generally tip what I feel is pretty generously on our land based vacations, and I like to do some of it "up front" rather than at the end, because I think it results in better service throughout. As a point of reference, when we rent a 2br suite or villa on land, I usually tip about $50 - $75 for housekeeping for a week, and if I can determine that its going to be the same person all week I give at least half up front, the first day.

So I guess I'd like to know not only what the "official" policy is, but also whats the best way to reward and/or invite really good service?

Thanks in advance for the help.

The "tips" history is something like this: Many years ago, your cabin steward would deliver envelopes to your cabin on the night before disembarkation...for you to fill with whatever dollar amount you felt was appropriate...& then you would, that evening, deliver said envelopes to your waitstaff, to the maitre'd, to the cabin steward, etc.

Then several years ago, the auto-gratuity came to be. Those in-the-know said it was because the cheapskates among us were not showing up in the dining room on the last night to avoid tipping. Whether that's true or not, I have no idea...but it sounds logical. Carnival was charging $10 pp/per day & they would distribute the tips for you.

Then recently they raised the auto-gratuity to $11.50 pp/per day...which, in my humble opinion, is still the bargain of the century. You couldn't hope to get away so cheaply if you were dining out for breakfast-lunch-dinner at any land-based restaurant.

I always leave the auto-gratuity on. I tip extra in the steakhouse, I tip extra, at cruise-end, to my waitstaff & to my cabin steward. To me, it's the right thing to do for the exceptional service they deliver.

What in the world:confused: You are getting more and more ridiculous:rolleyes:

So you don't think they are experts in getting more tips out of you?

From sob stories to making extra towel animals because you remarked how much you like them,to keeping your ice bucket full because you seem to have beverages around;).

Why do people tip the Maitre'd? He is salaried after all.

They have perfected their craft. I have ordered shrimp cocktail (OK 3) once and everynight after that I have one and its not even on the menu.That is designed for an extra tip.

So you don't think they are experts in getting more tips out of you?

From sob stories to making extra towel animals because you remarked how much you like them,to keeping your ice bucket full because you seem to have beverages around;).

Why do people tip the Maitre'd? He is salaried after all.

They have perfected their craft. I have ordered shrimp cocktail (OK 3) once and everynight after that I have one and its not even on the menu.That is designed for an extra tip.

Not in the least.........Not once have I ever felt they were trying to get me to tip more.....I could care less about sob stories I read on here. As far as the Maitre d' why would I even care why others may tip him? Maybe he did something nice for them:confused: Don't know don't care......

Why is it so hard for you to just tip how you feel and move on? That's what the majority does with absolutely no problem......

This is not directed at anybody in particular but is just a common mistake on here and fb.

Room StewarD ;) got it! no offense taken...

think everyone knew what umm or rather whom I was talking umm referring to... no worries... see on on the boat .. umm I mean Ship :p

Cheers!

The autocharged gratuity program is just fine for providing the customary tips to the staff.

We do like to slide an extra $10 each to the head waiter, ass't waiter and the room steward at the end of the cruise. It's not much, but we appreciate their efforts for us.

Never really thought of it as a "bribe", when I tip ahead of time, but it has always worked out well for us. I just like to make sure the person is aware that if there is an ability to provide a little extra (and I believe there ALWAYS is), that I will be appreciative. I'm sure that the normal service is good, but I would have a hard time believing that there aren't some instances where some extra appreciation will get you some service over and above "normal". I'm happy to pay for that.

We say please and thank you to the steward, try not to make their job harder and always get great service and tip him or her with the auto tip. If we kept asking for more and more that might be different but all we want are clean towels and ice and our room made up.

I'll bet that in most cases, the service you get from your room steward is the same for those who pre-tip on the first day as it is for those who wait until the last day to tip extra...and for those who just use the standard auto-tip. Maybe I'm naive, but we've always had excellant cabin service and have never tipped extra the first day. Seems out of sorts to me to tip someone ahead of time for something they are expected to do anyway. I'd rather give them a little extra on the last night. I guess if the pre-tipping works for you, then go for it. I'm curious what the room stewards would have to say about all this...how much they would say it matters to them. Obviously, most probably want as much $$ as they can get....and they do work hard to help give us a fine vacation. :)

I'll bet that in most cases, the service you get from your room steward is the same for those who pre-tip on the first day as it is for those who wait until the last day to tip extra...and for those who just use the standard auto-tip. Maybe I'm naive, but we've always had excellant cabin service and have never tipped extra the first day. Seems out of sorts to me to tip someone ahead of time for something they are expected to do anyway. I'd rather give them a little extra on the last night. I guess if the pre-tipping works for you, then go for it. I'm curious what the room stewards would have to say about all this...how much they would say it matters to them. Obviously, most probably want as much $$ as they can get....and they do work hard to help give us a fine vacation. :)

You might be right, but I definitely think that pretipping results in people going the extra mile, or at least it has on our land based trips. Our last stay in St. Lucia, I had started the housekeeper out with $25 the first day, and my daughter asked her about a brand of cereal that they didn't have in the resort mini-market. Didn't ask for it, just asked if they sold it in St. Lucia. Next day, there was a box of her cereal sitting on the counter after the villa was made up, and she probably spent $8 of the $25 that I gave her on the cereal. I've had numerous incidents like that over our various travels, and I'm happy to splurge a little extra to get that kind of service. In fact, I'd rather tip extra for "upgraded" service than pay more for a better room, cabin, etc., I just think the service makes the vacation. And when I tip at the beginning, I see it as giving notice that I'm looking for that next level of service.

i actually chuckle when i read people thinking the steward ramps their abilities up and down by throwing money at him on day 1.

what could he really be thinking?

"room 8146 gave me $5: extra mint on pillow"

"room 8203 gave me $20: wash tiles individually with course side of sponge, counterclockwise"

"room 8187 gave nothing: just clean room and make towel animals. try little girl at home story with pregnant wife and haven't seen in 5 months. hope not to receive john deere product".

Archived