Skyping onboard...

flgatormom29

I'm going on the Ecstasy in 10 days (WOOHOO!) and just curious for info on skyping. Want to talk to my kids while i'm gone.

I'm more interested in skyping while ported, doesn't have to be in the middle of no where. $It's 3.49 a min to call home from my cell (tmobile) and if i call my kids for 5 mins each time we are at port (twice) that's $35 bucks! Or $24 for an hour of internet time which is 30 mins a port talking to them.

But it wouldn't be worth it to me if I can't see them, i'd rather just call them.

Just curious to see how it worked for others, if it's even worth looking into or if I should just use my cell phone and not even bother bringing my laptop.

If it isn't blocked, you should have decent results while docked. While I didn't use Skype on the Ecstasy, I have used it on other ships. Works pretty well when the ship is stationary and "ok" when moving. Again, if it is blocked then no go (I have been on a ship where they blocked it).

Another quick note about calling from the ship...I got off the Ecstasy on Thursday and to call from your stateroom phone was $1.99 a minute. Cheaper than your cell phone plan and probably what you will want to use if you find yourself wanting to make calls.

I like

If it isn't blocked, you should have decent results while docked. While I didn't use Skype on the Ecstasy, I have used it on other ships. Works pretty well when the ship is stationary and "ok" when moving. Again, if it is blocked then no go (I have been on a ship where they blocked it).

Another quick note about calling from the ship...I got off the Ecstasy on Thursday and to call from your stateroom phone was $1.99 a minute. Cheaper than your cell phone plan and probably what you will want to use if you find yourself wanting to make calls.

I like $1.99 a minute!!! How do I know how much they are going to charge? Is it printed on the phone or the fun times? Or do I need to go to guest services?

Looks like I'll be bring my laptop on just in case. Just hate to bring it, last time it just sat in the suitcase all week! Much rather call for $1.99/min then attempt skype, esp if its only "ok" and unreliable....

Skype will be blocked. Even if it isn't the bandwidth will be much too small for programs like Skype.

The best rate would be email back and forth, however if you really need to hear a voice, then you might consider getting a special package from your cell phone company.

Emailing is out... My kids are only 3 and 7. I know they will be fine but momma will miss them so much and need to call. :D

Tmobile doesn't offer international plans so I'm stuck with $3.49 a min.

Really hoping that Ecstasy still has only $1.99 a min! That's what I was expecting to pay with tmobile, so will be really happy if ship offers it. Plus it'll be paid off b4 we leave and not tacked on next months bill! :rolleyes:

T-Mobile does have coverage. They even list your ship. You have to add WorldClass International Roaming to your account.

http://www.t-mobile.com/international/roamingoverview.aspx?tp=Inl_Tab_RoamWorldwide

That is what I do. I buy a pay-as-you-go T-Mobile phone from WalMart ($20)

Then I call and hook up the international roaming... I place $100 on the account... and bingo I am good to go.

I called home several times using Skype on the Magic TA and it worked just fine. Made some calls while in the Mediterranean and some in the Atlantic, both with great results. Did not try it while in the middle of the Atlantic because internet was very slow. On our plan ship internet was .33 cents a min. and Skype was around 1 cent/min.

I'm going on the Ecstasy in 10 days (WOOHOO!) and just curious for info on skyping. Want to talk to my kids while i'm gone.

I'm more interested in skyping while ported, doesn't have to be in the middle of no where. $It's 3.49 a min to call home from my cell (tmobile) and if i call my kids for 5 mins each time we are at port (twice) that's $35 bucks! Or $24 for an hour of internet time which is 30 mins a port talking to them.

But it wouldn't be worth it to me if I can't see them, i'd rather just call them.

Just curious to see how it worked for others, if it's even worth looking into or if I should just use my cell phone and not even bother bringing my laptop.

glad to see you're getting some traffic this time! :)

T-Mobile does have coverage. They even list your ship. You have to add WorldClass International Roaming to your account.

http://www.t-mobile.com/international/roamingoverview.aspx?tp=Inl_Tab_RoamWorldwide

That is what I do. I buy a pay-as-you-go T-Mobile phone from WalMart ($20)

Then I call and hook up the international roaming... I place $100 on the account... and bingo I am good to go.

Thanks for sharing that site, that's really cool. It's still $5.99/min to call from the ship and $3.59 from bahamas. I'm just still hoping its only $1.99 from our stateroom....

Archived