Tell Me About New Year's Eve

Coastalbreezes

This will be our first cruise sailing on New Year's Eve. Can you tell me what to expect in terms of activities for the evening? Also, does everyone tend to get dressed up?

Thanks in advance for your comments.

TracyE

We rang in the New Year aboard the Gem two years ago. There were noise makers, and hats at dinner. The MD had some "formal dining choices" on the menu. I think there was lobster and chateau briand. A big Party on deck. I believe we got a glass of champagne to toast as 2010 approached. A few seconds before midnight, the captain came on the PA, announced the countdown, and wished everyone a happy, healthy New Year. The same number of people who dress up on "Dress Up or Not" night were dressed up in formal attire. The majority were in smart casual cruise wear. We are looking forward to ringing in 2012 next month on the Gem again!:D

We rang in the New Year aboard the Gem two years ago. There were noise makers, and hats at dinner. The MD had some "formal dining choices" on the menu. I think there was lobster and chateau briand. A big Party on deck. I believe we got a glass of champagne to toast as 2010 approached. A few seconds before midnight, the captain came on the PA, announced the countdown, and wished everyone a happy, healthy New Year. The same number of people who dress up on "Dress Up or Not" night were dressed up in formal attire. The majority were in smart casual cruise wear. We are looking forward to ringing in 2012 next month on the Gem again!:D

Oh it all sounds like so much fun! My usual New Year's Eve is spent going out for an early dinner and falling asleep by 9:00 p.m.;)

Guess I will have to make it a point to stay awake for the festivities!

TracyE

• 3 weeks later...
We're thinking about dressing up for New Year's on the Gem, has that become out of place with Freestyle cruising?

Keep in mind the New Year's Eve cruises are very popular and are fully booked plus. That being said, there were lots of passengers dressed to the nines for the occasion. On another note, there were just as many freestyling it. Anyway, a cruise ship is the place to be on New Year's Eve. It is a very electric atmosphere and it will ruin you for all other New Year's Eves that you are not fortunate enough to be cruising! I absolutely loved our New Year's Eve cruise on the Gem in 2009/2010. NCL does a great job in preparation for this event.

Keep in mind the New Year's Eve cruises are very popular and are fully booked plus. That being said, there were lots of passengers dressed to the nines for the occasion. On another note, there were just as many freestyling it. Anyway, a cruise ship is the place to be on New Year's Eve. It is a very electric atmosphere and it will ruin you for all other New Year's Eves that you are not fortunate enough to be cruising! I absolutely loved our New Year's Eve cruise on the Gem in 2009/2010. NCL does a great job in preparation for this event.

Hi Camz :)

We were on board The Gem with you for the Dec. 26, 2009 sailing! What a great cruise :D

Archived