Tipping on shore excursions

Bug'sMom

Okay, help a novice out.... I know that it is customary to tip your shore excursion guide but how much is expected per person? I know, I know....it depends upon how long, where, what kind of service BUT just generally speaking, how much would one tip let's say on a tour to Stingray City or Dunns Falls? Do you tip the hired tour operator and then the actual guide that helps you climb???? Do the taxi drivers expect a tip every time you get in their cab? I am posting this on several boards because I would appreciate as much feedback as people are willing to give....(P.S. I also heard that you should tip whoever handles your lugguage. THAT could get pricey! (If you consider how many people handles them from the airport on.....)

Many, many thanks!

I have read to tip tour guides 10% of the tour cost. So , if your excursion is $50.00, tip $5.00.

I have booked directly with Phil Lafayette in Ocho Rios for the Dunn's River Falls and River tubing, he would get $2 (10% of 20.00 for his tour), the guide up the falls $1 ,( the entrance fee is $10.00). The river tubing is $20.00 so I would tip $2.00. More if I thought I got excellent service.

Yes, I do think the cab drivers expect at least 15%. If I use them at the airport I just tip about $1.00 per bag.

We tip luggage handlers .50-$1.00 per bag , depending on how much they actually handle the bag and how far they have to move it.

These suggestions are just what we go by , someone else may have some different ideas, hope this helps.

Archived