Mary Lou's tour in Hilo

Havin'fun

• 1 month later...

Never could find out much about this tour. I was worried since they did not post a PUC number on their site and there were many misspelled words. We have booked our Hilo tour with Big Island Aina tours. have read a few very good reviews and when i called and spoke with Tina she seemed very professional and friendly. We bookd a 7 hour private tour for not alot more than what it would cost for 2 tickets on a big bus with 50-60 people on board. This way we can go where we want and stay in each place for as little or long as we want.

We are booked with MaryLou Tours on our upcoming trip on Golden Princess.

ALL Contact we have had with them has been very prompt and professional. I can't, as yet, comment on the actual product but will know shortly. Everything I have read about this group has been positive and we have not had to pay a cent until the tour is completed.

Add on top of all this, we are a party of 4 and they are taking just us 4 on our own tour so no need to accomodate others who may have wishes that do not jive with what we want to see.

Just my thoughts but backed up with absolutely no personal experience as of yet.

I am also booked with them for April 2012. I emailed them a few months ago asking if they had room for a Solo cruiser and was quickly emailed a prompt positive response. They have also emailed me a couple of weeks ago just staying in contact. I have only heard good things about this couple.

Pat

Just got off the Golden Princess Dec.7-21. We used Ricky's Tour, which I highly recommend. E-mail Rickystours@yahoo.com. for complete info. He is an independent operator. He will e-mail you a complete itinerary for his excursion. Starts at 9:30 from the pier and got us back by 4pm.

Trip includes Rainbow Falls for pics, lots of other scenic stops, macadamia factory, orchid garden/shop, but the highlight is the Volcanoes National Park, Lava tubes and lots of historical info. Trip is $60/pp and he has a comfortable van that seats 7, so we didn't feel crowded.

Nice day, good weather and we didn't have to battle the crowds. He was very knowledgable about the islands.

Kathy

I am also booked with them for April 2012. I emailed them a few months ago asking if they had room for a Solo cruiser and was quickly emailed a prompt positive response. They have also emailed me a couple of weeks ago just staying in contact. I have only heard good things about this couple.

Pat

Pat; When we return (Feb 15th) from our Golden Princess Cruise. I will be writing a review which will include photos taken during our Mary Lou tour.

Most if not all photos will be 3D, so if you are interested you can buy Red/blue 3D glasses on the web for under 10 dollars which will allow you to see the 3D images. Google 3D glasses and you will get hundreds of places to buy them.

See my blog address in my signature for examples of photos I have taken. Our last trip was a month ago to Las Vegas and this should give you an idea of what I am hoping to accomplish during our trip to Hawaii.

BTW: Mary Lou Tours allow the customers to pick where they wish to go as opposed to having a set route and schedule. They make recommendations but you get to decide where, when and for how long.

Cheers!

Edited by wilfros

We also used Ricky's tours, very nice day w/ him. Private tour, 8 seater van, $60. pp. Picked us up at dock. We arrived late due to weather so didn't get picked up til 11 am. However, Ricky really outdid himself to get all of the itinerary in that he had given us in his email. He was very prompt responding to my emails. Would highly recommend Ricky.

http://www.rickystours.com/tours.html

Just got back from the POA. We used Mary Lou and her Husband Ken for both Hilo and Kona. They are wonderful and sweet. They give you a tour of everything and you get what you want. If you beach time they will give you beach time. They are very knowledgeable and aim to please you. They are not the big bus tours. Everyone who was with us these two days felt the same way. They are great and you won't be sorry if you use them. Doxie

Yes they will guide you along the way. Their tours are about 5-6 hrs. but very enjoyable time. They are about taking you around and making you happy. We used them for both Hilo and Kona. Everyone who toured with was talking about the good time we had with them.

I suggest you email them kensmet@hotmail.com or call them at 1-509-690-8163 They will answer any and all your questions. Both Mary Lou and Ken are very informative and knowlegeable.

• 4 months later...

We just returned from a 15-nighter on Century. Although we had plenty of sea days, we only had 4 days in the Islands, so we wanted to make every minute count! ;) Our day in Hilo was the shortest (all aboard at 3:45pm), but Ken (MaryLou's husband) was able to get the six of us around much of the island, in a limited period of time. :cool:

We started in Volcanos Nat'l Park -- which was great, despite the cold rain. From there, we went to the Orchid Farm, the Macadamia Nut farm, Rainbow Falls, and then we went to the coast to view the sea turtles. Being a much more personalized tour than the "big-bus" operations, we made a stop at a local farmers' market to sample some of the local fruit (fresh white pineapple to die for). Ken even made a quick stop at the Hilo post office, so that we could mail postcards that we'd been dragging around for a couple of days.

I also noticed that, while the larger tours just seemed to dump folks out at the various attractions, Ken accompanied us at every stop. He was a great source of information about the sights, as well as life on the island. We also met MaryLou, who was taking another small group around to some of the same destinations -- a very nice lady.

We would definitely recommend MaryLou Tours to anyone who wants a small, personalized tour, at a reasonable price. They have a nice website, and respond to e-mails quickly -- booking the tour was a breeze. :)

We used MaryLou's tour on April 25th and 26th and had a wonderful time. On Hilo we had a small group of 6 and on Kona it was just my husband and me. Ken was very personalized and showed us so many things. He had great suggestions for our stops and he is very informative. This was a great tour for each island!! He even made me eat sea salt right fromthe ocean. Very cool.

So glad to hear all the positive comments re Marylou's tour. I had booked them based on what I have read on the boards (and Tripadvisor)...............small group, more personalized. Since we're only 2, we're hoping they match us up with others that will have the same interests. They were VERY prompt about responding to my original email and confirming when I asked them to reserve space for us. We're only doing the Hilo tour.

debster818, awaiting to hear about your tour.

We used MaryLou's tour on April 25th and 26th and had a wonderful time. On Hilo we had a small group of 6 and on Kona it was just my husband and me. Ken was very personalized and showed us so many things. He had great suggestions for our stops and he is very informative. This was a great tour for each island!! He even made me eat sea salt right fromthe ocean. Very cool.

LOL, that is so funny, as I was posting you were too ! Thanks !

Ken was very prompt.....but we got tied up in the restaurant. We called him and told me were on our way and apologized. He was waiting for us with 2 other couples who were very nice. We went to the volcano national park (make sure to bring a sweater it was chilly) He talked to us about the volcanos and the different kinds of rocks while we tour the museum. Other tour groups stopped to get in on Ken's information. We did some short hikes, saw some waterfalls, coffee tasting, orchid farm, macadamena nut factory, went looking for that elusive white pineapple, but could not not one (bummer) He has a cooler with water in case you get thirsty. Some people ate lunch at the macadamena place. My husband and I just got some delicous ice cream. We had a great time and learned alot of things. Not rushed and a small group was great. We also did his tour in Kona, but there was no others in our group.....still had a fun and learned and saw many things.

We spent our day in Kona last summer with Mary Lou. She was wonderful! She greeted us promptly as we got off the tender (from the POA). She presented my daughter and I with wristbands that she had decorated with some of the wildflowers, etc. found on the island. What a sweet extra little touch! She was very friendly and knowledgeable and in addition to bringing us to the places we requested, she had a few suggestions of sites to round out our tour. She brought along bottled water and some cut up white pineapple that was to die for! We met her husband briefly at the beginning and end of our tour and he seemed as nice as she. She took photos all day and we found them e-mailed to us when we returned home! I would heartily recommend Mary Lou and Ken.

They also give tours on the Hilo side of the island. We had first booked Tina of Big Island Aina Tours for Hilo (she was also wonderful!) and she recommended Mary Lou since she usually gives tours only of Hilo and Mary Lou does both Hilo and Kona. Both of them made the Big Island a memorable part of our trip!

I'm pleased to read all of these good comments as we have also booked Mary Lou's, however, she responded to my first few emails same day or next day. but not so quick confirming that we are booked....still waiting :(...but it has only been 4 days since I booked :rolleyes:...guess I am feeling a little anxious and just want to have our day in Hilo settled so I can move on with planning for the next day. ;)

I'm pleased to read all of these good comments as we have also booked Mary Lou's, however, she responded to my first few emails same day or next day. but not so quick confirming that we are booked....still waiting :(...but it has only been 4 days since I booked :rolleyes:...guess I am feeling a little anxious and just want to have our day in Hilo settled so I can move on with planning for the next day. ;)

From my first inquiry to booking.............it was a 4 day span. I would double check in the next day or so. I will definitely report back to let everyone know our experience. We'll be on the POA 6/2....................:D