Celebration -30 November

Hello.

First posting, first cruise (apart from loads on the HM Grey-Funnel Line).

Join Celebration next Wednesday at Limassol.

Calling at Alanya, Alexandria, Port Said, and Ashdod, then a week's stay in Paphos.

Lots of violent protests in Alexandria and Port Said at the moment.

If these troubles continues, and they look like they might, is the ship still likely to call at Alexandria and Port Said, or will Thomson's err on the side of caution and call in somewhere else (Rhodes, Marmaris??).

I realise nobody will know for definite, but I'm just wondering if anyone has been through the same situation before?

Hello Lancaster Lad and welcome

You get loads of information from this forum, everyone is very helpful, i think there is a post on here that mentions the problems experienced early this year, the ship diverted to Israel instead of Eygypt on the advice of the Foreign Office.

Take you are an ex-matelot?? :)

Thanks Topsey.

I've been browsing this forum for a while now.

Most of the questions I would have asked, and more, have been answered.

I've trawled the threads from when the Arab Spring kicked-off thanks.

I can't find anything Thomson specific, but is seems like little things like unrest in the ME and N.Africa were easily dealt with by other operators.

So I'll just sit back, enjoy the AI, and look forward to wherever we turn-up.

RN 1971-94. I had the keys to the Pay & Cash Office, so arguably the most important bloke onboard.;)

Thanks Topsey.

I've been browsing this forum for a while now.

Most of the questions I would have asked, and more, have been answered.

I've trawled the threads from when the Arab Spring kicked-off thanks.

I can't find anything Thomson specific, but is seems like little things like unrest in the ME and N.Africa were easily dealt with by other operators.

So I'll just sit back, enjoy the AI, and look forward to wherever we turn-up.

RN 1971-94. I had the keys to the Pay & Cash Office, so arguably the most important bloke onboard.;)

You're adopting the right approach. There's clearly nothing Thomson, you or any other cruiser can do about the situation in Egypt - it's disappointing for those who had a burning, specific desire to go there and nowhere else, but if you can be philosophical, enjoy the great friendly atmosphere on board and make the most of wherever they do take you then you will have a great time.

Thomson will err on the side of caution and not go to areas where your safety may be an issue (and who would want them to - although I bet you'll find some moaners on board depending on what/which itinerary changes are made! :rolleyes:). Certainly there are a few ports in the area they could divert to - and some fantastic ones too - Marmaris and/or Rhodes would make me happy!

Anyway, hope you go somewhere you really like and that you have a a wonderful time and enjoy your first cruise. Enjoy! :)

Hi Lancaster Lad.

We were on the Celebration in January when all the troubles started in Egypt. We were doing the Red Sea Cruise and unfortunately we couldn't dock in Egypt. The only thing I can assure you with is that Thomson's will have your safety as top of their list and i know that on our trip the Captain was taking instructions from the Foreign Office. We eventually ended up in Israel and had a great time. I am sure that you will enjoy your cruise no matter where you end up.!

Might have a passport problem when we visit Israel.

Mine has only just been re-issued so I'm alright.

But our Doris' passport was issued by the British Embassy in Riyadh (Saudi Arabia).

She hasn't got any 'politically offensive' visa stamps in it, as they went in her 'other' passport.

Just have to wait and see. If Israeli immigration won't let in, then we'll have to waggle back onboard and give the AI a bit more hammer:)

Archived