Dining Preference Question

kelikea

My husband and I are sailing on the Summit this Saturday and I checked our online account and it says that our dining arrangements are for 8:30 pm. Apparently we can only change it by calling our travel agent person (they're number is at the top of the page), but I call and this guy is always out of the office. Can I just ask to change my dining preferences when I get on the boat?

When you go on board, there will be a time available to see the maitre de. You can ask at Customer Relations (The purser) where and when. You 'generally' will be able to change your time. Ask nicely and don't be too pushy, as some people will be. It is part of the maitre de's job to re-arrange seating, but if the ship is very full and lots of people have requested the same thing you want, it may not be possible. You can also request 'anytime' dining and not have an assigned time. But that is also sometimes fully booked. Good luck!

For some reason, it seems to me that most people waiting to see the Maitre D want to change from late to early seating. He is always setup near the dining room or in a lounge to take change requests. I suggest you go to your cabin ASAP and get the dining assignment card. Then find the Maitre D. Depending on how full your cruise is, he may be able to change you right then. Or he may need a day or two. Occasionally I have seen people who are waiting to see him change seating times between themselves. They just go up to him as a small group. In any case, usually by day two they can make a change.

My husband and I are sailing on the Summit this Saturday and I checked our online account and it says that our dining arrangements are for 8:30 pm. Apparently we can only change it by calling our travel agent person (they're number is at the top of the page), but I call and this guy is always out of the office. Can I just ask to change my dining preferences when I get on the boat?

By chance, are you trying to switch from late seating to "Select" (open) dining? If this is the case, the reason you have to go through the TA is because you have to pre-pay gratuities when you choose Select dining, and only the TA can handle that.

As the previous poster mentioned, you can often make this change after you board, assuming space is available. If you are only trying to move to the early seating, your TA could, as a minimum, put you on the waitlist if this seating is not currently available. If you want Select dining and if it is not currently available, you have to prepay gratuities to be added to waitlist.

As a side note, is anyone covering for your TA when he is out of the office? I would think someone else at the agency should be able to handle this simple request.

I use a TA who also is hard to reach; but, I just press zero and go to a customer service agent who takes care of me. Of course, you may be dealing with a smaller agency.

Wolfie

Archived