Excursions in Aruba

lgilroy

We are sailing on the Crown Princess on the December 31st sailing. We are trying to pick an excursion for our stop in Aruba. Does anyone have any suggestions?

We were looking at the helmet dive or a city tour but any suggestions would be greatly appreciated :)

I was there two times last year and the best tour by far was one I picked up as I approached the exit from the pier. There are vans there and for about $25/pp will give you a two-hour tour and drop you off pretty much anywhere you want. A bus line runs along the beach/hotel area so it's cheap and easy to get back to the ship. My van tour stopped everywhere the ship's tour went, and more. It was great.

The other time I was there, I took the snorkeling tour and it was awful. I'd heard negative reports about it on my first time in Aruba, that it was crowded and unsafe. My friend wanted to take it so I did. The previous reports were correct. About 10 of us had to stand with our stuff for about half an hour, until the catamaran opened the netting at the front and back. Even then, those who went on the netting left their stuff on seats so there was almost no room. When we anchored to snorkel, they allowed a private boat to tie up behind us, which meant there was only one way to exit the boat to snorkel: off the side. A couple of people who were snorkeling wound up towards the back of the boat and the private boat almost took them out because it was swinging from side-to-side. We got back to the ship two hours late which meant we didn't have the time to shop or look around at the pier area. I can't recommend this tour. :(

Unlike Pam, we had a fabulous time on our "Sail and Snorkel" tour when we were on the Island Princess last year. The supplier of the catamarans is called Red Sail Cruises. As we were among the first to board the catamaran, we had good seats on the front of the boat by the netting. The cruise to the first stop, Boca Catalina, was quite pleasant and we enjoyed visiting with some of the others and looking at the beach resorts that we passed.

We were the first boat of the day to reach Boca Catalina, so the water was not churned up by snorkelers and we had good visibility. The coral and fish at Boca Catalina are excellent. (This was actually our 2nd time to snorkel here as we had done a week's vacation in Aruba a few years earlier.) We spent about 45 minutes snorkeling here which was plenty of time.

We then moved to the shipwreck of the Antilles, a German freighter. It's a bit more difficult to snorkel here because the water is rougher. There were also more people here because there was another boat. I still found it interesting even though it was, again, my second time to snorkel here. Snorkeling a shipwreck is a different experience from snorkeling a reef, but both are good experiences. I probably spent about 30 minutes snorkeling here which was sufficient.

On the return trip back to the ship, the bar was open and rum punches and sodas were available for free. The rum punches were a bit weak, so you'll probably want to drink several of them. We got back in plenty of time to get cleaned up on the ship and and head to a couple of shops in town.

Personally, I would choose anything connected with the water in Aruba (helmet dive, snorkel tour, etc.) over a city tour. If your city tour includes a visit to Arikok National Park and exploring a cave there, then it might be worth it. (We did this on our own during our week's visit a few years prior to our cruise visit.) But I don't think a tour of the town itself would be so interesting.

We also did the sail and snorkel and loved it. I thought the 1st stop of snorkeling the reef was the best. My husband really enjoyed the ship wreck snorkel but I found it to be a little to rough for my liking. It was a little hard trying to swim against the current by the ship wreck but if your strong swimmer you will do fine there. We will be there again in a little over a week and this time we are planning on doing what Pam suggested and just find a van tour when we get off the ship.

Just back from the Emerald Princess. My sister and I did the ship's excursion "Arikok National Park & Beach" and we loved it. A ranger gave a guided hike in the NP describing the flora and fauna and history of Aruba. The we were taken to Arashi Beach, which was divine. No snorkeling there (we snorkeled in 4 other ports) but I could have floated in that water forever.

attachment.php?attachmentid=213544&stc=1&d=1322389396

Arikok National Park

attachment.php?attachmentid=213546&stc=1&d=1322389396

Arashi Beach

attachment.php?attachmentid=213545&stc=1&d=1322389396

Floating forever.....

1804541659_ArikokNationalParkIMG_2043web.jpg.2c41f2fcd31e959c1b8d7407a05d2694.jpg

1892426582_ArashiBeachArubaIMG_0922web.jpg.de8e7e99065c3617c7bf558560ab0f77.jpg

519003341_ArashiBeachIMG_2085web.jpg.285e258812121d458cc4c59203851f61.jpg

We are sailing on the Crown Princess on the December 31st sailing. We are trying to pick an excursion for our stop in Aruba. Does anyone have any suggestions?

We were looking at the helmet dive or a city tour but any suggestions would be greatly appreciated :)

On the same sailing as you and we are doing the Baby Beach Safari with ABC Aruba Tours www.abc-aruba.com/

I was there two times last year and the best tour by far was one I picked up as I approached the exit from the pier. There are vans there and for about $25/pp will give you a two-hour tour and drop you off pretty much anywhere you want. A bus line runs along the beach/hotel area so it's cheap and easy to get back to the ship. My van tour stopped everywhere the ship's tour went, and more. It was great.

Pam, a couple of questions. Were you solo and did they put you with a group? What time did you get the tour? I want to be able to wander off the ship after a leisurely breakfast - around 9:30 or so. Thanks.

Fanchthang~ When did you use this company? I can't seem to find any other info about them. Do you have a review somewhere?

Thanks for the info!

check them out on Tripadvisor.com....just type in aruba bob snorkeling in the search area and a bunch of reviews come up

We just returned from a Southern Caribbean cruise on Caribbean Princess and used www.arubabobsnorkeling.com Stuart responded to our email inquiries promptly and gave us instructions on where to met us (two couples) at the ship's pier and took us to Club Arias, a great B&B where their office is located. Fitted us with masks and fins, etc. and took us to Mangel Halto, a beautiful beach. Easy entry into the water, lesson on how to use the motorized scooter and off we went. Quite easy, actually. You can either stay on the surface or use the device to propel you for a dive closer to the underwater sights. We were experienced snorkelers, but Stuart was still very attentive for our safety and guided us through the water for a 2 hour adventure. Stuart modifies the tour to accommodate any level of experience. He also took pictures along the way and emailed them to us when we got home, no charge. Since we had done the usual touring of Aruba on a previous cruise, we looked for something different, this was it. After the snorkel, Stuart took us to Zeerovers for lunch. A great fish restaurant which only sells the fish/shrimp they catch that day. When it's gone, they close. Can't say enough about Aruba Bob's, a refreshing change from the usual impersonal, cattle car operation.

Archived