Upsell Fairy Question

scfa99

I am travelling with 2 other couples.

We have an aft penthouse they each have an aft balcony, the 3 cabins are in a row on dec 10.

If we link our reservation, do you think there is a chance the the 3 couples could get upsold to the GV?

That would be awsome.

Lois

Yes, it happens! i read it within the last year. they wrote a wonderful review, with photos. Just depends on how booked the ship is, etc. But that is the exact situation of the people who booked AS A GROUP, meaning their reservations were linked. If yours are not linked, mAke sure your travel agent or personal cruise consultant links them or it can't happen. Good luck!

To list my own ONE upsell, it was with our first cruise on NCL on the old Majesty to Bermuda. They must have called our travel agent only a week or so before because when I checked in the man called me Beverly and I corrected him. Otherwise he was going to check me in to the original room!

It was from a 108 sq ft to a 145 sq ft ocean view for $25 each. We did not lose our on board credit, either.

This is what we did. We were in an aft penthouse I was watching the prices and about 2 weeks before sailing my TA called NCL and the moved us up to a 2bd room villa in the courtyard since the price had fallen to $100 less than what we originally paid.

All I can say is "wow."

great responses so far, very interesting. so I gather based on what I've read that if I booked via an online TA i'm probably hosed because they need to facilitate the transaction with NCL. Am I correct in assuming that under no circumstances will NCL call me directly? Is there any way I can transfer the reservation to NCL from the online TA?

Thinking out load I wonder if you get an upsell how that will work in the new latitude program rankings. If you are under the original booking or the new suite? I digress, that's for another thread.

I think it mainly has to do with how full (upper category cabins) the ship is.

We have been upsold twice. Both booked via TA. Never had a call. Once while on the ship on a b2b. Spoke with the Hotel Director directly. And once via email from NCL. I then had to coordinate through my TA.

I have been working with the same TA since 2002 and got one upsell on my first cruise - on the second and third cruises there were no chances of upsells. Still hoping for our fourth - although we have already booked an AFT suite so there are only two rooms left that would be an upsell for us - the DOS on deck 15 of the Pearl - which I would take in a heartbeat. And like everybody else says, upsells happen just before a cruise sometimes after final payment - sometimes right before.

The upsell fairy won't call you if you used a TA. They call them and they in turn call you.

My TA calls me right away if she gets a call (CCL was FREE UPGRADE 4 times to eventually a junior suite!)

I meant where is the UPGRADE fairy (sometimes I type faster than my brain can comprehend!:o)

So many people with 30 plus cruises and never a call -- very strange.......

Kathy

• 4 weeks later...

I have been on NCL one time and booked on a second NCL cruise in Feb., and on Carnival one time. The only upsell I got was from my one cruise with Carnival. They called me perhaps 1-2 weeks before we sailed. I was taken by surprise, really did not think it through, but said no. I do not remember for sure the details, but believe I could have gone from an inside room to a room with an outside balcony for no more than $200 total, not per person. I should have taken the deal.

I did not call them. They called me. Almost, but not quite last minute.

We have always booked aft cabins and have turned down two upsell calls because we see no need for spending more money for space and services we don't need.

We are quite satisfied with making our own reservations for dinner and see no need to have someone at our beck and call 24/7.

I keep checking and for our cruise in Jan it seems all the suites are still open but the balconies and lower categories are full. I keep watching to see. Since it is DH's b'day cruise, if I see something great, I would totally snap it up.

Of course I would need to take into consideration the loss of any OBC's. We have $450 btw NCL and the online TA at time of booking so that would weigh in there too.

Can't hurt to dream tho!

I would definitely take an OS upgrade from our aft PH if the price was right.

• 3 weeks later...

I was just doing a search on upsells and found this thread. I am booked on the Epic in a B6 (large balcony). We decided against a mini suite because we'd rather have a bigger balcony than a bigger cabin. But from what I've been reading, it looks like a lot of upsells are from mini-suites or above. So do you think I would have been more likely to get a call if I had booked a mini-suite? Will the mini-suites likely get the calls first (if there are any upsells to offer)?

Thanks!

I took advantage of an upsell from my Mini Suite to the Owners Suite a little over a week out from my cruise date. I always book through my PCC direct at NCL. They obviously had my profile pulled, knew I was Gold lattitudes and just a few points away from Platinum. I don't know if that meant anything or not.

Just a clarification ... if i am not mistaken ...

1) an upgrade you do yourself - you may lose your OBC

2) an upsell is via the fairy - you shouldn't lose your OBC

3) that being said, I have never received a call from the upsell fairy but I am a happy girl anyway ;).

what if you booked through a large online TA? just wondering if this is a disadvantage to using this type of TA.

I used a large online TA and received a call for an upsell. The TA is one of the well known companies. Upsell was a balcony to a large Penthouse on the POA. It was our very first cruise. It was about a month before the cruise and it was in 2007. I think they like to get first timers hooked on Suites.

I have not heard from the upsell fairy since and I now use a regular TA.

I am turning Platinum during my next trip. I am hoping that they like to favor their Platinum folks also.

Donna

Just a clarification ... if i am not mistaken ...

1) an upgrade you do yourself - you may lose your OBC

2) an upsell is via the fairy - you shouldn't lose your OBC

3) that being said, I have never received a call from the upsell fairy but I am a happy girl anyway ;).

1. You can upgrade yourself but have seen this word used also if you are given a better cabin at no cost to you. If they give you the upgrade I don't think you lose your OBC but possible

2. Could go either way on OBC.

3. Good plan to book whatever is sure to make you happy but would be wonderful if you are called by her highness.:D

The upsell fairy won't call you if you used a TA. They call them and they in turn call you.

Not true.. I have had 2 upsell phone calls... One is the above situation where NCL called TA then they called me then I missed the opportunity because it took too long the other time NCL called me directly.... and it was a good month before the cruise.. Went from aft balcony to OS... guess its all differnt

• 1 year later...

1) First times cruisers with NCL, booked an inside cabin for the Norwegian Jade March 6th sailing from Rome directly with NCL.

Basically, after Egypt was dropped from the itinerary prices took a big hit. We called, were able to get upgraded from that inside (IF) to a mini-suite (MX-MA) for about $30 in taxes. Upsell fairy called early this week to offer upgrade to an aft penthouse (SF) for under $400. We took the deal. (She originally offered a haven family villa (S4) for a little over 1k, but we couldn't swing it right now). All in all, I'd say we made out like bandits on this cruise.

1) First times cruisers with NCL, booked an inside cabin for the Norwegian Jade March 6th sailing from Rome directly with NCL.

Basically, after Egypt was dropped from the itinerary prices took a big hit. We called, were able to get upgraded from that inside (IF) to a mini-suite (MX-MA) for about $30 in taxes. Upsell fairy called early this week to offer upgrade to an aft penthouse (SF) for under $400. We took the deal. (She originally offered a haven family villa (S4) for a little over 1k, but we couldn't swing it right now). All in all, I'd say we made out like bandits on this cruise.

That's absolutely wonderful! You are going to enjoy that suite and all the perks. Have a simply perfect vacation. :D

(And you're right... you DID make out like bandits!)

That's absolutely wonderful! You are going to enjoy that suite and all the perks. Have a simply perfect vacation. :D

(And you're right... you DID make out like bandits!)

Thanks! ! We're particularly grateful because this is our much belated honeymoon. I have a suspicion they also do it to hook you. I hear it's very hard to go back from the suite life. . .

Thanks! ! We're particularly grateful because this is our much belated honeymoon. I have a suspicion they also do it to hook you. I hear it's very hard to go back from the suite life. . .

I'm glad you're aware of that in advance. :D

We got an upsell from a mini-suite to a 2-Bedroom suite on the Dawn in 2006. We haven't booked anything but a suite ever since. In 16 days, we'll be climbing aboard the Jewel and can hardly wait. :D:D:D

EDIT: Forgot to say Congratulations on your belated honeymoon! Oh boy, you are REALLY gonna enjoy that suite! ;)

You better believe it. Hooked for life.

I'm glad you're aware of that in advance. :D

We got an upsell from a mini-suite to a 2-Bedroom suite on the Dawn in 2006. We haven't booked anything but a suite ever since. In 16 days, we'll be climbing aboard the Jewel and can hardly wait. :D:D:D

EDIT: Forgot to say Congratulations on your belated honeymoon! Oh boy, you are REALLY gonna enjoy that suite! ;)

Curious what you booked on Jewel. Since she is coming to Texas I see a return to that ship in my future.

Curious what you booked on Jewel. Since she is coming to Texas I see a return to that ship in my future.

Haven 2-Bedroom. We were in an OS on the Jewel last February and absolutely LOVED it, but this time we'd like to be a little closer to the Haven. We found we hardly used it at all because 1.) it was such a distance away, and; 2.) the OS is a haven in and of itself. ;)

She's a great ship. I think you should book her! :D

Haven 2-Bedroom. We were in an OS on the Jewel last February and absolutely LOVED it, but this time we'd like to be a little closer to the Haven. We found we hardly used it at all because 1.) it was such a distance away, and; 2.) the OS is a haven in and of itself. ;)

She's a great ship. I think you should book her! :D

I was on the Jewel for 2 week transatlantic in 2005. Mom booked with my TA cousin. An oceanview. Mom got bronchitus and it was torture. Not Even a balcony to escape to. I said "never again", and insist on 2 rooms.

It was also on the cruise we met two gentlemen at our pre cruise hotel who were in the Haven. They indoctrinated us into the NCL suite life, had us up a few times. The butler delivered lunch. That sealed the deal.

I think my mom would love the Haven. She is a "ship" person more than a "port" person. The 2 bedroom would work well for us. I have an inkling that will be on our agenda.

Do you know which 2 bdrm is nearest to the door to the courtyard? She would love that.

Thanks! I appreciate your reply. Since my Sun cruise is only 3 weeks away I need to start planning the one after that to keep away the "no-cruise blues".

Archived