Discover Scuba....Grand cayman or Cozumel???

dbpowell

Want to take my 14 year old son scuba diving as a surprise when we are on our cruise. we will be in one on the 2nd of Feb and the other on the 4th. I have done a lot of reading on the boards about both but still need some advice and guidence from those that are far more experienced than me.

Will have to be a discovery dive since my son has never been and I haven't done it in 25 years.Also want it to be a good first experience for him that he won't soon forget and may want to do again.

Haven't looked at Cozumel much most has been in the Caymans ayt eden rock sunset house etc...Oh please help me make sense of it all. Thanks

I've taken my now 20yoa dd on a 'discovery' twice in the last 20 months, I've been a certified diver since 1974 and stopped counting my dives at 500

Her first was in Cayman at Sunset House which I set up via e-mail. My two daughters were the only two students to one instuctor. I dove with them. We did not see another diver. the 'pre' work was in Sunset House pool. then we jumped into Sunset's sea pool .... then out to the reef. IMO well done (but more expensive than the ship's excursion) btw, I've been returning to Sunset House since the early 80's

Yougest wanted to dive again and had not found time for a course so on the next cruise I booked a d-dive thru the ship in Coz. It was the basic ship arranged tour and we were in a group of 20 . . . a shore dive (no pool for the skills test) dd had fun but if you want me to compare the two . . . .

SCUBASpring2011.jpg

Tough question, I have only dove Cozumel. That said I was not very happy with the arranged tour, I did fill out a comment card with the ship. So far my best dive trips have be arranged as independent.

Thanks for all the replies. I booked a dive with an independent that was recommeded on this board and a scuba diving board that I found. Have had a couple of conversations and emails with him and looking forward to the trip(my son still doesn't know). They have one DM to every three dives and for discovery scuba start out in classroom then shallow water and then finally a dive with a DM no more than 40 feet boat dive. Once again thanks to all

• 2 weeks later...

We don't have an excursion booked for Cozumel. Had read about the beautiful reefs there and originally thought we wanted to do a snorkel excursion. After reading more posts, have considered a discovery dive. We have 2 adults and 2 children ages 20 and 22. Any suggestions?

• 2 weeks later...
Another vote for Sunset House. Was there last week and could not have been more pleased with them. Also, Cayman is much easier diving than Cozumel as Coz would be a drift dive which I would think a little overwhelming for a discover dive.

to be fair

having accompanied dd on discovery dives in both places

OUR disc' dive in Coz was in a place protected from the current - most 'real' diving in Coz IS drift difing - AND our disc' dive, no drift, was pretty poor as far as the lookee see, but daughter loved it as it was new to her . . .

• 1 month later...
I booked a discover ive for myself and 14 year old son through an independent that was highly recommended on the boards. We are set to go for Feb 3rd. Let me know if you want any more info.

May I ask who you booked with? I am interested in doing this with my DD and DS as the other family members are staying on the ship. From you review...it sounds like it went well.

• 1 month later...

I would do my discover diving and your tune up in Grand Cayman. They have several options all close to the boat. You can book with the boat or go off and walk to the Eden Rock Shop. If the seas are rough can be a hard entry as this is a shore dive. In Cozumel you are dealing with current and will have to dive from a boat.

I did a ship tour dive in Cozumel, IMO be very careful.

Find out who they use before you book, check reviews of

the company from someone other than the tour desk.

If it is a discover dive find out what the guide/guest ratio

is.

If it is more than 1-2 find someone else.

It really should be 1/1, I don't give a Rat's A**

what you are told any larger ratio than 1-2 is not

safe, 1-2 is bad enough!

Diving and Discover diving is Safe but it is to easy for

mistakes to happen with larger groups, you are just

pushing the odds, when they do YOU will often be

on your own.

• 3 weeks later...
I booked a discover ive for myself and 14 year old son through an independent that was highly recommended on the boards. We are set to go for Feb 3rd. Let me know if you want any more info.

I am interested in who you used? and how long of a dive? would you and was it all you imagined it would be?:confused:

• 1 month later...

we just got back from cayman and we did the discover scuba with JJ Divers it was only $75 and was awesome! we even hit a beach and got a free drink !!

we didnt have to be certified or anything! i posted a few comments on them today cause it was the highlight of our trip! swimming with turtles and rays and 10000's of fish everywhere !!! u should deff check them out and let em know sonny and sandy sent you ;o)

the web site is jjdivers.com

hope this helps

sorry i didnt really answer your question lol

It was MORE then what we expected !! We didnt spend ANY time in a class room... they picked us up from the port and drove us to a remote dive spot that not a lot of operators use cause it waste gas lol

my wife wrote a review on trip advisor about them ... they really went out of there way and made us feel like family

Archived