Can you get kids food in the Main Dining Rooms?

dsaurus

Does anyone know if you can get kid-friendly food in the main dining rooms on the Jewel? My 3 yr old will be turning 4 while on the cruise, and he's a good eater, but likes most things PLAIN (without sauces or gravies). I know the chefs have so many people to feed at once that they probably can't do special orders, so I was wondering if there was a kids menu at dinner.

Does anyone know if you can get kid-friendly food in the main dining rooms on the Jewel? My 3 yr old will be turning 4 while on the cruise, and he's a good eater, but likes most things PLAIN (without sauces or gravies). I know the chefs have so many people to feed at once that they probably can't do special orders, so I was wondering if there was a kids menu at dinner.

Yes, they have a kids menu with the usual fare:

pizzas

hot dogs

grilled cheese

chicken fingers

etc.

Kids menu is always available. Wide variety of things. And if he decides he wants something off the adult menu, he can order from that as well.

Chicken fingers, burgers and a PBJ sandwich are also available off the room service menu. I have also seen adults order from the kids menu.

Here is a recent kids menu:

CHOOSE A JUICE

• orange

• apple

• lemonade

• cranberry (not listed, but probably available as they have it at breakfast)

SOUP’ER DOUPER NOODLE SOUP

• nothing green! CHICKEN NOODLE only

HOW NOW GROUND ROUND COW

• hamburger or cheeseburger with ranch fries

AHOY MATEY!

• Have a hot dog with battered fries & thing’s

CRISPY FRIED ONION RINGS

ITZA, PIZZA!

• Your own CHEESE or PEPPERONI or as you like it!

NO, i want a peanut butter & jelly sandwich!

LOTSA PASTABILITIES

• Spaghetti plain or with CHEESE or with our special Meat Sauce

CAPTAIN KIDD’S FAVORITE

• GRILLED CHEESE with curly FRIES

JURASSIC DINO DUDES

• breaded chicken patties in disguise with fries (they were just nuggets on our cruise – not dinosaurs)

ICY ISLAND TREATS

• chocolate, vanilla, or strawberry ice cream

• pineapple, coconut, or lim sherbert

• lemon jello (orange, red, and green were available as well)

PINA COLADA ICE CREAM COUPE

• ask for the FROZEN YOGURT of the day

JOLLY ROGERS FRUIT MEDLEY

• chunks of fresh fruit

NEVER SAY SALAD AGAIN

• Crisp Iceburg lettuce with oranges

• ask your server for the choice of dressings

NOTE: They have an awesome macaroni and cheese – not on the menu (unless it is considered the spaghetti with cheese) but you can definitely order it!

Don't discount ordering something off the main menu without sauces etc. DS1 can be picky and we ordered chicken without sauce and pasta with marinara sauce successfully in the MDR on the Sun. The staff seemed more than happy to accommodate his requests.

The kitchen is very flexible no matter where you are eating - mdr or specialty restaurant. My dd (now 17) has gotten tenderloin medallions w/o sauce at Le Bistro, plain pasta w/red sauce all over the ships, various chinese dishes w/o a certain ingredient she took exception to. I've found that the wait staff and chefs are very accommodating. :)

My kids really enjoyed the roast chicken with mashed potatoes, gravy, and green beans that was on the "always available" side of the main dining room menu. And I would order them the fruit plate from the kids menu as a "starter" while we were having our appetizers.

But yes, the kids menu is extensive, and available in all dining rooms, including the specialty ones. You won't have a problem! Enjoy!

When we first started sailing with our kids, we made a rule--no hamburgers, hot dogs, pizza, chicken fingers, etc. in the dining room for dinner. Ours were a little older than OP's. They could have 'kid's food' (Love the tearm, dsaurus!) for lunch or snacks, but not dinner. We always found something they enjoyed--and reassured them that if they 'hated' it, we could get something else for them. In all the cruises and cruise dinners we shared, only one dish went back. As the year's progressed, they became very adventurous eaters!

And the waitstaff never had a problem with customizing the dishes for their young tastes.

When we first started sailing with our kids, we made a rule--no hamburgers, hot dogs, pizza, chicken fingers, etc. in the dining room for dinner. Ours were a little older than OP's. They could have 'kid's food' (Love the tearm, dsaurus!) for lunch or snacks, but not dinner. We always found something they enjoyed--and reassured them that if they 'hated' it, we could get something else for them. In all the cruises and cruise dinners we shared, only one dish went back. As the year's progressed, they became very adventurous eaters!

And the waitstaff never had a problem with customizing the dishes for their young tastes.

Sweet!!!!

Thank you all so much! I feel so much better. I'm planning on trying a regular entree for him, but knowing I can get "kids food" as a backup is great. I've never been on NCL before and it's so nice to hear that they cater to kids so much.

Dsaurus, you will find that they cater to EVERYONE! Their goal is for you to be happy. I'm not a big eater and can never seem to finish my entrees. So many times the servers see I haven't 'cleaned my plate,' and thinking I didn't enjoy my meal, asked if I would like another entree.

You won't be disappointed!

I don't think you mentioned what ship you are on but some of the ships have a "kids buffet". My son loved to go there and pick out his own dinner (supplemented by salad or veggies from the regular buffet)

He often preferred to eat there then go to Kid's Crew and not have to endure " a boring dinner" with us:rolleyes:

I don't think you mentioned what ship you are on but some of the ships have a "kids buffet". My son loved to go there and pick out his own dinner (supplemented by salad or veggies from the regular buffet)

He often preferred to eat there then go to Kid's Crew and not have to endure " a boring dinner" with us:rolleyes:

OH great point! My kids loved the kids buffet.... I know it's on the Jewel Class ships, and the Dawn and Star, but maybe others. It's lower down, and had seating for kids (small stools at shorter tables), and always was stocked with kids favorites along with fresh fruit, carrot and celery sticks, and chocolate chip cookies. Some parents will feed their kids there, then take them to the kids club and enjoy a slower paced dinner for two... perhaps at a specialty restaurant. They have pitchers of milk and juice there too.

Archived