Bannister Island

cruizinmimi

Just got back from the Mariner of the Seas where we took this ship excursion over to Bannister Island. Through the ship we paid $45pp to have a tender pick us up right from the ship and take us over. We were the 1st tender to get there. Left ship around 9:15am. When we got there we were lucky enough to get 7 chairs together under a beautiful shaded area and 2 mats to swim and play on. They have kayaking available also. There was no trampoline, but there was a volleyball net set up on the beach.

Beautiful place, but by the time 10:30 arrived there were 3 other tenders to drop people off. Lots of people. You could not swim anywhere. It was a roped off area to swim in. Of course, there were so many people, the water was stirred up and you could not snorkel. Very murky water. We were all jammed in this little area. The island itself is beautiful with lots of shade and lots chairs. Not enough mats and just about 3 kayaks at time. Here was the kicker.....the restrooms had no running water to wash your hands and the showers did not work either. The Manager did apologize when we got back on the tender to leave (2pm) to go back to the ship. They finally got everything working around 12:30pm, but people were leaving to go back.

There was a really neat bar, restaurant with tables to sit at and a cute little boutique to shop. Changing areas, showers (that did not work), clean restrooms, kayaks, mats, volleyball net.

Just thought I would come and give an update. I never found any information on these boards before I left to go to Belize. If I can answer any questions, I will.

I was there the same time as Linda. Though we arrived later. As she said, there was no water trampoline, as advertised. The beach was already filled with people, but we were able to find some chairs and move them to a nicer spot. But the big problem for us was the lack of floating mats. We got there around 10am and weren't able to find one to use until about noon when the first tours started leaving. We enjoyed the beach and water a lot more once we had a couple of mats.

About the beach, the first few feet were fairly rocky with broken shells. And after awhile the seaweed started getting stirred up. A few feet out the water was a lot clearer (though not crystal clear) and the bottom was soft and sandy. Then when you got out about 50 feet or so, the bottom was muddy (ick!). That's why I needed the mat. ;)

The day wasn't a total bust for us. We ended up really enjoying ourselves the last hour or two when the crowds started clearing out. Be warned though that older kids might get a bit bored. My 7yo had a ball playing in the sand and looking for shells. Oh and the chicken strips were surprisingly good! :p

you say that you were on first tender at 0930H - what time did ship -and which were you on - arrive? how long after scheduled ETA did first tenders show up? were those tenders going only to Bannister or did they go to TV, too? do you happen to know how long after scheduled ship ETA first tenders to TV were there? (will be there next week. not going to Bannister, but want to be on earliest tender to TV)

thanks, Linda & Beth - or anyone who can reply!

Archived