Cozumel by Jeep and snorkel excursion?

seafoy

I was wondering if anyone here has done this excursion and their thoughts on it. I was on the Cozumel board, but couldn't find anything specific to the RCCL excursion. I really liked that it combined a tour of the island with snorkeling(really hoping it won't be too cold in early January!) ...as we have never been to Cozumel before. Thanks for any imput!

I did this excursion last December and I (along with my mom and niece) really enjoyed it. We drove around the island to a state park and saw the crocodile area, a light house and did some snorkeling at a really nice beach. The reef that we snorkeled on wasn't the greatest but it had some nice coral and sea fans and lots of fish. The water temps were probably in the high 70's. Just be aware that, at that time, the jeeps were manual transmission so someone that can drive a stick will need to drive.

I did notice that part about the manual transmission....a LONG time since me or my husband has driven, but he seems to think it will be no problem for him!! We do have our three teenage daughters coming with us, so we would have to be split up in the jeeps as apparently they only hold 4 people....do they just assign the extra people to another jeep when you get there? Thanks for the warning about the water temp....that would be pretty chilly for a Floridian!

Yes, the jeeps are standard sized Wranglers so they'll only hold four people. As for the water temperature... the tour guide was also the snorkeling guide and he started off with a shorty wetsuit and then took it off as the water was warm enough for him. It was a nice and sunny day so the surface temperature was plenty comfortable. You could bring a wetsuit vest if you were worried about temps, but I've dived Cozumel in February and March and I considered that comfortable temperature even at depth.

You mentioned that the excursion was a bit boring...did you find that you spent more time in the Jeeps traveling around the island than you would have liked? We have three teenage girls that will be with us and one of them has already voiced that it looked boring....I was hoping to get out and see a lot of different sites.

If you do the one that goes to Punta Sur and includes snorkeling, then I don't think they would be bored. In addition to the snorkeling, you will also stop at the nature preserve which is an alligator habitat.

We thought the scenery was the best part, but we're a couple of old fogeys and we like that sort of thing!;)

I did notice that part about the manual transmission....a LONG time since me or my husband has driven, but he seems to think it will be no problem for him!! We do have our three teenage daughters coming with us, so we would have to be split up in the jeeps as apparently they only hold 4 people....do they just assign the extra people to another jeep when you get there? Thanks for the warning about the water temp....that would be pretty chilly for a Floridian!

Don't worry about driving a manual transmission. It had been many years since I driven one and it came right back in about 1 min. of driving. but then again I learned how drive on a manual .

You mentioned that the excursion was a bit boring...did you find that you spent more time in the Jeeps traveling around the island than you would have liked? We have three teenage girls that will be with us and one of them has already voiced that it looked boring....I was hoping to get out and see a lot of different sites.

My 15 year old niece didn't think it was boring. However, your mileage may vary. ;)

I went back and re- read the excursion description....I wonder if they may have changed it up a bit as it sounds a little different from what a few of you have said. It says you go to El Cidral, El Mirador, a tequila factory(just what my girls need to know about!.. LOL), a sandy beach and then I guess a different beach for snorkeling. It sounds like a full itinery and will probably go ahead a book it!

Hi, ya loved snorkelling , then I think we had a 25 min drive stoppes at a beach for about 10 min, it was fab to look at then drove again and stopped at a few stalls, then drove agin stopped at tequila factory, drove stopped in the middle of no where for lunch and the drove back, it took 5 and half hours I think and 2 of our stops were 40 min rest of them were 10 I think

I'm planning on booking this tour also in January. I have never snorkel before and have a strange question. Are you able to wear contacts when you snorkel? Also, it was stated lunch is in the middle of no where, is lunch at a resturant. How was the food?

We were in Cozumel last December (Voyager) and we did a similar tour. We drove a two seater ATV's, not Jeep Wranglers. SO MUCH FUN! We did see the crocodile area, the light house and did some snorkeling at the beach. We saw the Jeeps, and the ATV's were so much more fun, plus they were automatic!

Archived