Carnival prize rules for Canadians?

ChaserX

Received an email from Carnival earlier asking me to complete a survey about a recent cruise. On completion, you are entered into a drawing to win a free cruise. I was reading the contest rules and came across this:

Drawing and Skill-Testing Question for Canadian Residents: If selected entrant is a Canadian resident, in order to win the Prize, the selected entrant must first correctly answer unaided a time-limited, mathematical skill-testing question by telephone at a predetermined mutually agreeable time. In the event that the selected entrant is unable to correctly answer the skill-testing question, the Sponsor shall have the right to randomly draw another eligible entrant, and the Sponsor shall be fully and completely released and discharged from any liability or responsibility in this regard. By entering, entrants agree that the Sponsor’s decisions are final and binding in all regards with respect to the Drawing.

Comments?

It's like that for all contests in Canada. IIRC, it has something to do with differentiating between the lottery (i.e. gambling) and just winning an actual contest. I could be wrong about the reason, but I know that for every contest, Canadians have to answer some sort of question to win.

WHAT IS A SKILL TESTING QUESTION (STQ)

A skill testing question is a legal aspect attached to all contests that Canadian residents can enter.

Some contests may require you to answer the STQ when you enter the contest, other may require it only after you are declared a 'potential' winner.

Because Canadian law prohibits "for-profit" gaming or betting, but does allow prizes to be given for skill (or mixed games of skill and chance), chance-based games (which, a random draw for contesting is), stays legal when contestants are required to answer the "skill" testing question.

The STQ is a mathematical question, which you must answer correctly to be declared the contest winner.

Contests which are run by sponsors in the USA are required to include a STQ if the contest winner is a Canadian resident, even though STQs are not required by contest winners in the USA.

Some canadian contests will ask a trivia question in place of a mathematical STQ.

As others have posted it is a normal requirement for Canada.

I used to do contest and say it a lot.

If you win, don't worry, the question will be easy. Instead of what is the square root of 4611, it will be more like what is 5 + 3 divided by 2.

If you win, don't worry, the question will be easy. Instead of what is the square root of 4611, it will be more like what is 5 + 3 divided by 2.

Yes, as Skylock said, they are always easy questions. There is a mathematic question on almost every contest we enter in Canada, whether sponsored by another country or not.

Thanks to all for answering!

Except, that is, for skylock, who caused me to waste time trying to calculate the square root of 4611(Which is, incidentally, about 67.9015), using my phone calculator which doesn't have a square root function.

Hopefully, skylock never had or will have to figure the square root of 21261321 to win a contest.

Archived