Explorer of the Seas dining questions

Our only other cruise was on NCL, where they have freestyle dining. You just showed up in the dining room when you were hungry and they served you. It was great. I'm curious how things work with assigned mealtimes. What if I get hungry in between? What's open all the time on Explorer besides room service?

Also, is Portofino the only specialty dining restaurant? What are their hours?

Are there sample menus online?

Do they stagger the passenger's arrival times to the dining room, or do you all just show up at once in one big hoard and then have to wait in line to be seated?

Thanks,

Pyedog

You will have early dining at 6PM or late at 8:30 which ever you have chosen. Everyone shows up at the same time and I never had to wait in line, you just go to your assigned table and your servers will be ready for you. You have three other choices besides room service. Portafinos or the buffet Windjammer or Johnny Rockets. There is always food available so you will never go hungry. You can also get snacks on the promenade 24 hours a day.

Don't worry about the "hoard" thing. Explorer's dining room is on three decks, and it has never been a problem for us. Just a moderate number of folks heading for their tables.

You can also get little snack sandwhiches down at the Promenade Cafe. There are also a couple of ice cream machines for that type of snack. Portofinos is the only alternative dining on Explorer. I don't recall specific hours, but they do seat as late as 9:00/9:30. I believe they open around 6 pm, but don't quote me on this.

Thanks! Now that I understand everyone has an assigned dining table, it follows that seating will be quicker/more orderly than it would otherwise.

Is the Promenade Cafe the same as the English Pub I read about?

Also, I understand there's an extra flat fee, $20, I think, for Portofino's. What is the fee for Promenade Cafe & Johnny Rockets? I assume the WindJammer and snacks are included in the cruise price.

Is there also an assigned seating time for breakfast and lunch, or just a window when they're open and you can go to your assigned table?

Also, how early/late can you be off of the assigned time and still expect to be served? 5 min? 10?

Thanks Again,

Pye

Promenade Cafe and English Pub are different, both on the Royal Promenade.

Promenade Cafe - Free. JR's 3.95 cover charge

Windjammer & Room service - free (should tip server a few $$ w/ room service)

Breakfast and Lunch are open seating in Dining room, you will be seated at a table, not the same as your dinner table. Or you can go to Windjammer Buiffet.

Archived