Cost of Disney?

Punchie

My best friend wants to go on a Disney cruise next Aug on a 4-night to the Bahamas. She has a balcony reserved and the cost is appx $2000 for each of us (we're both bringing our daughters, ages 5 and 6), so $1000 per person. Is this a reasonable amount for this type of cruise? I know I'm paying for the Disney brand, and I've heard the service is amazing, but I've not paid this much per person for the base rate of a cruise before. Plus there's airfare. I know my daughter would be in heaven on that cruise. I'm just having reservations about the cost.

Thank you for your help!

My best friend wants to go on a Disney cruise next Aug on a 4-night to the Bahamas. She has a balcony reserved and the cost is appx $2000 for each of us (we're both bringing our daughters, ages 5 and 6), so $1000 per person. Is this a reasonable amount for this type of cruise? I know I'm paying for the Disney brand, and I've heard the service is amazing, but I've not paid this much per person for the base rate of a cruise before. Plus there's airfare. I know my daughter would be in heaven on that cruise. I'm just having reservations about the cost.

Thank you for your help!

It is summer, it is DCL, and you are looking ONLY 8 months out. Based on these I'd say it is "reasonable". You can probably find a 3-nights balcony costing less than $1800 (tax included) for 4 people although during off season. DCL cruises for all ships in the summer are the most expensive. If you look at the same cruise in August 2013, it will be cheaper, but still relatively more expensive than other time of the year. DCL price only goes up as you get close the date of cruise, so always book early - over a year or more.

FYI - at one point I held a reservation for the 8/24/12 5-days Dream sailing, lowest verandah category for 2 adults and 2 children was $3170 (tax included). I have moved the reservation to other dates since then. Checking the same date/category just now and the price is $4740.

Thank you for your help!

Your problem is timing. For 2 adults and 2 kids August 2012 is about $5000 to $6000; but August 2013 is $3000 to $4000.

You might look at the other Disney Cruises in August 2012.

8 night Bahamas out of New York $7000

7 night Alaska out of Seattle $5000 to $6000

Or the one I just booked...

7 night 2012 Thanksgiving Mexican Riviera from Las Angles $4000 for the 4 people.

Thank you! She made the reservations several months ago so the price is a little over $4000 for all of us; deposit has been paid. I'm glad to know that this is a reasonable price for Disney. That makes me feel better about what I'm paying. I'm sure that once I'm onboard, I will completely fall in love with it. Now I need to start poking around the site to learn more about this ship.

1. Make sure you kids go to the Kids area, they will love it.
  2. Take a white pillow case and leave it at the front desk on the cruise ship and they will have it signed by all of the characters.
  3. Take things and decorate the door on the room, it will excite your kid every time they go to the room.
  4. Ask questions and read review but take everything with a grain of salt.
  5. Go to http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2583392 and find your cruise. The people posting on this board are Disney Cruisers and will be able to answer anything and will have extra meetings and gift exchange and etc that will enhance your cruise.

Thank you for your help!

• 4 weeks later...

Just for the fun of it, I figured out what it would cost for a week at Disney World versus a week on the Disney Magic.

For a family of 4, the cruise is a better deal as it is all inclusive. In addition a cruise is far more relaxing and less stressful on the family.

Also the kids program is outstanding. Mom and dad have quality time while the kids are having a blast in the various Disney programs.

:)

Been looking at disney as a possibility. Sounds like a lot for a short one, is it really worth it?

We're about ready to find out. It's waaaaay more than Carnival and almost as much as we paid for a transatlantic on Cunard. But, yes I know according to the boards you can't compare DCL with CCL...we'll see.:confused:

Been looking at disney as a possibility. Sounds like a lot for a short one, is it really worth it?

I think it depends on a number of factors. We did a Disney cruise last year, and really enjoyed it. However, we came away thinking that we would probably never cruise Disney again. Our reasons were/are:

1) Cost for the same itinerary as compared to other cruise lines was much higher. Yes, we know we're paying for the Disney brand name, but I'm not sure the differential was really worthwhile.

2) Our daughter liked the kids' club, but she's enjoyed other kids' program experiences as well and other than the character tie-ins, Disney didn't seem to have anything that she loved that much more than any other kids' program.

3) For us, the Disney tie-in was nice, but if we feel the need for a Disney fix, I'd rather go to the parks. We're complete Disneyaholics (held annual passes to Disneyland for 15+ years and have had annual passes to Disney World for the last 3), but if we want to take a cruise, we want to take a cruise. If we want to go to Disney, we want to go to Disney and ride the rides, see the sights, etc.

Since we've returned, I've been asked by a number of people who have children what we thought of the cruise. I would suggest doing it once while your kids are young enough to enjoy it (probably 12 and under?) and then see if it's really for you. I'm glad we did it the one time, and we all had a ball. However, my daughter is turning 8, and if I suggest anything Disney to her, now she wants roller coasters and dining with Princesses at Epcot and all the other park experiences. When she was younger she probably would have been content with just seeing characters, etc. Now that she's got a taste for all the parks have to offer, that's what she prefers.

All that said, that's just our experience. My 65-year-old mother would always prefer Disney because she feels like she knows what she's going to get, and she's enough of a kid at heart that she likes seeing the characters, etc. Me, I'd rather save the money, take a cruise on another line and then use the money I saved for a long weekend at Disney World :)

Archived