Shrimp Truck

margord

Apparently there is more than one shrimp truck. The one we went to was Giovanni's - nothing more than a van parked at the side of the rode with picnic tables under a tent cover BUT it was the very best garlic shrimp we've ever eaten. It is quite a way from Waikiki - not too far from the Hilton Turtle Bay Resort. We're going again this fall. Worth stopping if you're driving around the island.

• 2 weeks later...

My two cents.....

Just got back from my 4/6 cruise on Celebrity Infinity. I'd read about Giovanni's Shrimp truck on this board, but I found a coupon for a free soda with each plate lunch ordered at this place called Romy's. So, as we drove our rental car around to the North side of the Oahu, we whizzed past Giovanni's truck (set up exactly as described in the previous post), and kept our eyes peeled for the Romy's green shrimp shack (as was advertised on the coupon). Well, we found it (though it's actually painted red, not green!) just past the sugar mill and shrimp ponds, cashed in our coupon for our free can of soda, and decided to split one garlic shrimp plate lunch (came to about $11). Let me just say, the portion was HUGE (more than enough for the two of us), with about 10 GIGANTIC shrimp dripping in garlicky goodness on a mountain of rice. Luckily, there was a washstand with soap to clean away the garlic we couldn't lick away off our fingers, and we had gum to spare anyone from an unpleasant first meeting (we could have killed Dracula!). I would recommend this place to anyone.

Devonne

Hey Spleen,

Sorry it took me until today to reply back...roughly one hour after getting back to work, I caught the office flu bug and have been sniffling and hacking and lethargic since then.

In a nutshell, I LOVED my first visit to the islands. The weather was not humid like everyone said it would be, though there were more overcast/rainy days than sunny days. If I had to choose just one island to go back to, it would be Maui (no rain/overcast days, absolutely beautiful), though the whales were practically gone for our whale watch (we'll be sure to go in January or February next time). If I had to pick a second island to revisit, it would be Kauai. However, I loved the whole experience and am glad I did it. Thanks for asking!

Devonne

FYI - I am now addicted to snorkeling! As long as I have a float vest that will keep me from sinking (my big fear), I'm good to go. We ended up going to Hanauma Bay, saw lotsa fish, and left before it started getting crowded and the water getting cloudy. Thought I'd share that with you, and will eventually post it on my "Snorkeling for those who cannot swim" thread.

Archived