Trip Insurance Limit Question

apdchief

How much coverage is enough for medical coverage and medical evacuation? I want to insure my trip with adequate coverage, but not get too much coverage.

My last cruise I used Carnival's protection, but I am finding out I can get more coverage for the dollar by not going through Carnival.

Thoughts?

Experiances?

Go to www.insuremytrip.com and plug in your information.

Like how much the cruise is, where your going.

You will just fill out a short application.

You will see around twenty to twenty five different companies and policies to select from.

I usually look at the lowest cost ones.

I like around $25,000 for medical and around $100,000 up to $500,000 for medivac.

I never take out Carnival's insurance because of the $$$$. Nearly used the policy once but never made a claim so far.

Rocky

I just go with what my TA recommends. The most important figure is med evac $. IMHO.

If you or anyone in your party has a pre-existing condition, be sure to look at that clause closely. Last I heard, Access America has a decent pre-existing condition policy -- but it has to be purchased within a short number of days (10-15) of booking the cruise. This may have changed and I am not aware. By using the same TA for about 10 cruises, she knows what I need better than I do.

Gloria, it's wonderful that you trust your agent that much. I too was an agent. The commission paid to an agent who writes up the insurance is more than 30%. You can really do much better at Insuremytrip.com......it's what I use.

Caribbean cruise/Alaska/Mexico? $100K for medivac $250K medical

Any other cruise? $500K medivac $1M medical

Medivac is not limited to "from ship to nearest hospital". Medivac also includes medivac/ air ambulance back to hospital of choice near home for continuation of care if required.

I just go with what my TA recommends. By using the same TA for about 10 cruises, she knows what I need better than I do.

I would think YOU would know what you need more than your TA!?!?

There are plenty other options, and less expensive ones that may or may not offer better coverage. Check with insuremytrip.com or even with your CC Company. My CC also happens to be my insurance/banking institution so I use them, but YMMV.

Good luck whatever you choose!

Archived