Pride of America

cat-tav

Hi Cathy,

Yes, we're just back from the Dec. 10 -17 POA cruise and the White Hot Dance Party was on Wednesday night (not required to be in 100% white, but fun to do so). That was also the same night as "Norwegian's Night Out" where guests are encouraged to dress up if they want to. You could also get your picture taken with the captain that night.

Thanks, Sherrica--I'll be sure to pack something white!

I've read mixed reviews of the POA--how was your experience? I'm taking this particular cruise for the scenery, but I'd like to have a great cruise experience also.

I was on the POA last week with Sherrica. I don't remember anything about "Quest".

As far as the ship goes, we had a great time. The experience isn't the same as when I have traveled other itineraries, but we didn't let that impact our trip. The room stewards we interacted with were fantastic. Service in the restraurants was mixed, some were fine, some not so good. Nothing stood out as 5 star service, but I don't normally eat at those types of places anyway :D:D:D. I would do the trip again in a heartbeat.

We are thinking about booking the POA for a family cruise in December 2014 (Yes, I do like to plan ahead) and are considering the Obstructed View Family Suite since it can accomodate 6. My thought is that the combination of a port intensive itinerary and early sunset in December will make the lack of view from the suite a non-issue. Any light you can shed on this would be appreciated.

For what it's worth, we usually sail in balcony cabins, but the cost of doing it this way will save us thousands of $$$.

We were on POA in September for our second time and don't remember Quesr, but I dont usually go in for those sort of activities, so it may well be it was offered and I don't remember. I posted z review, so you might check that out for a complete answer. I would not hesitate to do this cruise again because it is the cheapest way to see Hawaii but it is not nearly the same as other NCL cruises. If you go with the expectation of a good but not stellar cruise, you'll be fine

We are thinking about booking the POA for a family cruise in December 2014 (Yes, I do like to plan ahead) and are considering the Obstructed View Family Suite since it can accomodate 6. My thought is that the combination of a port intensive itinerary and early sunset in December will make the lack of view from the suite a non-issue. Any light you can shed on this would be appreciated.

For what it's worth, we usually sail in balcony cabins, but the cost of doing it this way will save us thousands of $$$.

This was the first cruise we booked a balcony for. We actually did it because of the cabin though, not the balcony (we did a 2 bedroom family suite). I am so glad we had a balcony. The lava flow and Na Pali coast sail-bys were awesome to see from our own balcony, although you can only see both of these from your balcony if you are at the aft, as they are on different sides of the ship. We also had some beautiful sunrises and sunsets from our balcony. Of course you can always go to public balconies of the ship for all of these places, but we liked the privacy and quite of our own balcony. We also had two small children that were asleep for the late night lava flow so it was nice to be able to leave them sleeping and still see it.

I had read that since the tsunami in Japan, the lava flow had stopped. Has it started again? I hope so!

The lava is once again flowing into the ocean and it is spectacular! Sit on starboard (right) side of ship. To hear the narration about Madame Pele, go to decks 6, 11, 12 13.

There are two themed parties: White Hot Dance Party on Day 5 (Wed) and FABBA on Day 4 (Tues).

Travelling on our own, I assume we need to use cabs from airport to ship and from ship to airport. Can anyone advise approximate cab fare and how long to allow. Any other alternatives?

Thanks.

Cabs on Oahu are expensive since it is more crowded here than anywhere else in Hawaii (about 1 million people live on Oahu). For this reason, the ride from airport to pier can take up to an hour in rush-hour traffic. There are many transport companies to book transportation. Make sure to call their 808 (Hawaii) number and ask to make sure it goes to POA pier.

Google the following transportation companies to see the prices on their websites (there are MANY others, just google "Oahu airport to pier transportation":

Viator (around $14.50 - 28.50 includes a lei at the airport)

VIPtrans - they use smaller vans

Shuttlewaikiki ($8-10) - they use HUGE bus, like Roberts Hawaii (below)

Roberts Hawaii ($10-12) - they use a HUGE bus and stop at many hotels in Waikiki but also have a stop at pier.

I just returned from Hawaii on POA. Here's the link to my review:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1534322

• 1 month later...

It's been several weeks since anyone posted here. Is nobody but me excited about this cruise or is everybody just busy?

I found a company that will arrange lei greetings at the airport when you arrive in Honolulu. I think I'm going to set that up to surprise my cruise-mates. Should make us really feel like we're in Hawaii!

Archived