New requirements about passports - questions

Hikini

We have always been able to use our birth certificates for sailing from Seattle to AK, with one stop in Canada.

I've heard recently that they are going to require ALL citizens to get a passport. Do you know anything about this? When will that be a requirement?

We sail again in September so I want to be sure we don't run into troubles.

Thanks for the help!

Hikini:D

From what I've read, these new regulations do not go into effect until some time in 2006. I would however go to the INS web site and check it out for myself if I were you. Of course you have plenty of time to get a passport if you are not sailing until September so why not do it now. They are good for 10 years.

Thanks for your reply - I'm on the travel.state.gov website right now. I'm traveling with and responsible for my elderly parents, so if we all have to get passports I want to know in plenty of time!

We have always been able to use our birth certificates for sailing from Seattle to AK, with one stop in Canada.

I've heard recently that they are going to require ALL citizens to get a passport. Do you know anything about this? When will that be a requirement?

We sail again in September so I want to be sure we don't run into troubles.

Thanks for the help!

December 31, 2005 and after, passports needed for the Caribbean.

December 31, 2006 and after, passports needed for Canada and Mexico.

December 31, 2007 and after, passports need for all border crossings.

This means many who have never used a passport will now need one and applications will be pouring in. Wait times to get one could increase. I would not wait until the last minute. They are good for ten years for adults and the cost just went up to $97 plus the cost of two passport photos. Walgreens, Wal-Mart, among others will take photos for you. Most court houses and other government buildings will have the applications. If you don't have a passport, you will need a certifiable copy of your birth certificate.

December 31, 2005 and after, passports needed for the Caribbean.

December 31, 2006 and after, passports needed for Canada and Mexico.

December 31, 2007 and after, passports need for all border crossings.

This means many who have never used a passport will now need one and applications will be pouring in. Wait times to get one could increase. I would not wait until the last minute. They are good for ten years for adults and the cost just went up to $97 plus the cost of two passport photos. Walgreens, Wal-Mart, among others will take photos for you. Most court houses and other government buildings will have the applications. If you don't have a passport, you will need a certifiable copy of your birth certificate.

Everything retired said is true except that last sentence. You will not be able to travel on your CERTIFIED birth certificate after the dates. To get your passport you need your official birth certificate. They take the certificate and pictures (and money). They will return the certificate, alas, not the money:(, with your passport.

Everything retired said is true except that last sentence. You will not be able to travel on your CERTIFIED birth certificate after the dates. To get your passport you need your official birth certificate. They take the certificate and pictures (and money). They will return the certificate, alas, not the money:(, with your passport.

Thanks. That was what I meant to say. If you don't have a passport, you will need certified birth certificate to GET a passport. I knew what I meant, just didn't make it very clear. Thanks for making it clearer.

I finally got one this year for the first time ever. It's a painless process, and well worth it. When we checked into the Dream a couple weeks ago, they just scan your passport info real quick and you're done. Definitely the easiest check in I've ever been through.

Proposed Timeline for Implementation for Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative Requirements

The travel initiative requirements will be rolled out in phases, providing as much advance notice as possible to the affected public to enable them to meet the terms of the new guidelines. The proposed implementation timeline is as follows:

• December 31, 2005 – Passport or other accepted document required for all travel (air/sea) to or from the Caribbean, Bermuda, Central and South America.
  • December 31, 2006 – Passport or other accepted document required for all air and sea travel to or from Mexico and Canada.
  • December 31, 2007 – Passport or other accepted document required for all air, sea and land border crossings.

Doesn't "or other accepted document" mean the birth certificate? I am asking because I have cruised since Dec. 31, 2005 and used my birth certificate. I know we will all have to eventually have to have a passport but I did use my birth certificate in Feb. this year...

The travel initiative requirements will be rolled out in phases, providing as

Doesn't "or other accepted document" mean the birth certificate? I am asking because I have cruised since Dec. 31, 2005 and used my birth certificate. I know we will all have to eventually have to have a passport but I did use my birth certificate in Feb. this year...

Carolyn, Thank you. I'm glad I'm not the only one with senior moments. December 31, 2005 has not come yet. That's the end of this year.:D

And no, other accepted documents is not a birth certificate. They are very few and special documents some people use when traveling frequently to specified places. Most, if any, will not work for a vacation traveler.

I am so laughing at myself..:p :p Yep, "guilty as charged" of having a senior moment.. Why in the world did I think 2005 had come to an end already:confused:

I am so embarressed!

I'm sorry. I just had to laugh, but with you, not at you. I had to read it a couple times before I figured out why it didn't seem right.

But please, don't get me to 2006 yet. At my age and health, I need every day I can get before I wake up on the wrong side of the grass.:eek:

[quote name=Carolyn1950The proposed implementation timeline is as follows:

[*]December 31, 2005 – Passport or other accepted document required for all travel (air/sea) to or from the Caribbean, Bermuda, Central and South America.

[*]December 31, 2006 – Passport or other accepted document required for all air and sea travel to or from Mexico and Canada.

[*]December 31, 2007 – Passport or other accepted document required for all air, sea and land border crossings.

Can somebody explain something to me because I'm just not getting something. Once the first two items above have been implemented (i.e., we're past Dec 31, 2006), what's left for the third item to cover? Or are they just being overly thorough with the third item? It seems to me that anything not in the Western Hemisphere is already covered by current regulations. I must be missing something.

OK. Just checked the regulations for U.S. passports. If you were 16 or older when the passport was issued, it's good for 10 years. If you were 15 or younger when the passport was issued, it's good for 5 years.

Archived