To grip or not, that is the question.

TheRoff

I know there are some out there with battery grips on their DRLRs. I am packing my toys as we leave tomorrow for a drive to Ft. Lauderdale for a family Christmas cruise on the Crown Princess. I usually don’t travel, as air travel, with the grip for my 5DM2, but since we are driving. I really like the way it handles with the grip. What have you done on a cruise?

Larry

I only use a grip when I am using a big lens, as it tends to balance my camera. But I don't take my heavy glass with me on a cruise, so I leave the grip off as well.

The grip just makes a heavy camera all the more heavy, so I leave it off unless it is for balancing the camera.

If it were me, I'd leave the grip at home just to save on the weight when wandering around shooting. Although I am used to having that weight on it all the time, so going without it might be weird.

But, my husband has clearly said that he's always travel with the grip on his since, like you, he likes the feel of the camera with it more than without it.

I always left the grip on my A700 when we cruised. Mostly because I shoot a fair amount in portrait orientation and it makes it easier. The second battery also assures me that I won't need to worry about running out of power during the day no matter how much I shoot and chimp. I haven't picked up the grip for the A77 yet, but I will before the next cruise.

Dave

I haven't felt the need to bother with a VG myself...if I did have one, I'd likely leave it home while cruising to save weight. I shoot a fair amount of portrait, but never found it uncomfortable to hold my camera in that position without grip, and I've never had battery life worries because all three of my DSLRs have had huge battery life with proper meters to gauge time remaining - I've never come close to running out of battery in a single day of shooting, even at 2,500+ frames. I've shot with cameras with VGs or double grip bodies, and like the way they feel just fine, but just never felt it a necessity so don't bother to buy one for my DSLR.

Archived