Carnival Special Needs Department...

Dee777

Hi, all.

I have Celiac disease and have to follow a strict gluten free diet. Carnival is great about providing this, but the area they are lacking in is the beer department. They do not carry GF beer.

I called the Special Needs department a few minutes ago and spoke with a very pleasant woman who shall remain nameless :)

I asked her what the policy was (I've read other posts here on this... but wanted to be certain and comfirm) on bringing on my GF beer. She said, and I quote:

"Carnival doesn't have any say in this, as it is up to the Port Authority. Bring a letter from your doctor, bring your beer, but there is no guarantee that they will let you bring it on. It is strictly THEIR decision. Others have done it, they MAY let you if you have a doctor's note."

She could not tell me the number I MIGHT be able to bring. I have read 6 beer from some posts. That seems ridiculously few for a 15 day cruise! Who else is out there who has called Carnival about this issue, and what were you told? I am not doubting this employee in the least, I just thought that it was Carnival's decision what was brought on and how much? Am I just confused, or what?

Regardless, I CAN go 15 days without a beer, but I DO love a nice cold frosty beer on the balcony on occasion :)

It was 12 when I sailed in October 2010, now it's only 6. I didn't call...I just emailed, that way I would have it in writing. Carnival guest services are the ones who emailed back saying I could bring the beer on. Here is the email I recently received.

Dear Kelly,

Carnival Cruise Lines is dedicated to offering a quality cruising experience for all of our guests.

In response to your inquiry regarding Gluten Free Meals, Carnival Cruise Lines can provide you with Gluten Free breads, pastas and cake mix only, which are available in our dining rooms. We also provide assistance with simple requests regarding the method of preparation (including no cross-contamination) from our menu items. If you have a food allergy, please consult with our dining staff for assistance with meal options and food preparations. Arrangements for these requests are to be made with the dining staff on embarkation day.

Gluten-free beer can be hand-carried onboard by guests provided a Doctor's note is presented. If guest does not have a Doctor's note beer will be turned over to the ship following normal alcohol confiscation policies. We will only one 6-pack of Gluten Free Beer per person.

We look forward to welcoming you aboard the Fun Ships of Carnival Cruise Lines.

Antoinette Bromfield

Guest Access Sailing Support

Thank you both very much for your replies.

I will bring 6 GF beer with me, then do a little Googling of the different ports we will be visiting (three of them we will have a rental car) and see where I can find the beer. It is not easy to find where I live but may be easier to locate in a more civilized area LOL

I will also bring a note from my Doctor, whom I am certain will get a little chuckle out of me having to get a note to drink beer :)

Thank you again!

Dee

Archived