Car rental and Arecibo Observatory

Mango Tango

We're staying three days pre-cruise in San Juan at the Intercontinental hotel. We're thinking of renting a car and driving to the Arecibo Observatory. Where is the closest car rental agency from the Intercontinental? We don't know if we want to rent a car at the airport when we arrive, or take a cab to the hotel and then rent a car the next day, just for one day.

I'm a little concerned about getting lost on the way to the observatory. Do the car rental agencies give you a map of Puerto Rico, or can they give you a detailed description on the exact way to get there? I'm not too worried about the main Route 22 West to Arecibo or Route 129 South...it's the small road 625 that looks like it might be confusing to find your way. :confused:

We're staying three days pre-cruise in San Juan at the Intercontinental hotel. We're thinking of renting a car and driving to the Arecibo Observatory. Where is the closest car rental agency from the Intercontinental? We don't know if we want to rent a car at the airport when we arrive, or take a cab to the hotel and then rent a car the next day, just for one day.

I'm a little concerned about getting lost on the way to the observatory. Do the car rental agencies give you a map of Puerto Rico, or can they give you a detailed description on the exact way to get there? I'm not too worried about the main Route 22 West to Arecibo or Route 129 South...it's the small road 625 that looks like it might be confusing to find your way. :confused:

We just did this on December 11. We rented from Charlie Cars. You can find them on line or call them directly. They have two offices, one in Condado, near the cruise port, and one in Isla Verde, near the airport (this one is open 24hrs). They will pick you up at your hotel or airport and take you back to either hotel or cruise port when you drop off the car.

We rented both pre and post cruise and both offices were very helpful. They provided us with a map of PR and gave us directions and advice on how to get to Aricebo. Be adviced that there are several tolls on the road that add up to a total of about $3.50 each way. The cash lane is on the far right, so if you stay where the big "C" is posted you'll be fine. Charlie Cars gave us all of this info before we left. Aricebo was fairly easy to find, but we took our GPS with us. I believe you can also rent one from Charlie Cars for a minimal amount. The one turn we had trouble finding was 625 (I think) because it wasn't marked well. After that, there were signs everywhere directing you to the Observatory. The drive up is beautiful! Enjoy your trip :)

We just did this on December 11. We rented from Charlie Cars. You can find them on line or call them directly. They have two offices, one in Condado, near the cruise port, and one in Isla Verde, near the airport (this one is open 24hrs). They will pick you up at your hotel or airport and take you back to either hotel or cruise port when you drop off the car.

We rented both pre and post cruise and both offices were very helpful. They provided us with a map of PR and gave us directions and advice on how to get to Aricebo. Be adviced that there are several tolls on the road that add up to a total of about $3.50 each way. The cash lane is on the far right, so if you stay where the big "C" is posted you'll be fine. Charlie Cars gave us all of this info before we left. Aricebo was fairly easy to find, but we took our GPS with us. I believe you can also rent one from Charlie Cars for a minimal amount. The one turn we had trouble finding was 625 (I think) because it wasn't marked well. After that, there were signs everywhere directing you to the Observatory. The drive up is beautiful! Enjoy your trip :)

Thank you so much for this information! It makes me feel better about renting a car and driving to the observatory. I'm really looking forward to this. :)

We too have rented from Charlie cars and driven to Arecibo. You might also want to take in Camuy Caves that is also really close. We did both on the trip and was the highlight of our 'extra day' before our cruise. We had a GPS to get us to the general area and then just follow the posted road signs.

We actually bought our tickets at Camuy Caves, left, went to the observatory and then back to the caves for our scheduled tour. There were 300 kids on a school trip that day at the caves!

Have fun.. We did.

Larry

We too have rented from Charlie cars and driven to Arecibo. You might also want to take in Camuy Caves that is also really close. We did both on the trip and was the highlight of our 'extra day' before our cruise. We had a GPS to get us to the general area and then just follow the posted road signs.

We actually bought our tickets at Camuy Caves, left, went to the observatory and then back to the caves for our scheduled tour. There were 300 kids on a school trip that day at the caves!

Have fun.. We did.

Larry

I had thought about going to Camuy Caves and now you just convinced me to go! Thanks for the info! :) By the way, what week in January are you going to be on the Serenade? We're on the 7th and 14th.

If you are driving yourselves, give a thought about going to the Cueva de Indio in Arecibo (proper footwear needed) or Cueva Ventana (you need flashlights). Both are amazing, on your schedule, and budget friendly. They are some of my favorite places in PR and not far from where you will be headed.

Archived