Malaria precautions in Madagascar

dilly2

Can anyone help. We are on cruise 4204 departing 5th Feb, and one of the ports we stop at is Madagascar. It is a malaria zone. Is it advisable to take malaria tablets just for this day, or will it be ok as we are only there in the daytime? Thanks.

Hi dilly2

U really need to speak to your doctor re this, however with my malaria medication (I'm Australian), I start taking it 2 days before I arrive in the malaria zone and continue taking it for several weeks later! There are a few different types of malaria medication, so speak to your doctor about one that would be appropriate for u.

Mosquitoes are around all the time, not just night time:)

Cheers

Jennifer

Thanks for the replies. Perhaps i put the question badly, as i am aware malaria tablets cannot be taken just for a day. I was trying to find out if a course is really necessary for a 1 daytime visit. However I will now take your advice and get a course of tablets.

BTW ging 466, love the cat photo, looks identical to one of my cats! Is it a Birman or Ragdoll? I cant tell without seeing the paws. Mine is a Ragdoll called Smithy.

BTW ging 466, love the cat photo, looks identical to one of my cats! Is it a Birman or Ragdoll? I cant tell without seeing the paws. Mine is a Ragdoll called Smithy.

Hi dilly2

Yes, she is a Ragdoll...her name is Phoebe. 6 years old and my baby girl :D

I adopted her in February this year, she had been a breeding queen.

If u have some pics of Smithy, pls email them to gingiepoo@hotmail.com

Cheers

Jennifer

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for the replies. Perhaps i put the question badly, as i am aware malaria tablets cannot be taken just for a day. I was trying to find out if a course is really necessary for a 1 daytime visit. However I will now take your advice and get a course of tablets.

Dilly,

I contacted the CDC once for a trip to Ecuador and for Malaria the person reminded me that that Anopheles female Mosoquito is a night bighter. Since I would be there only during the day I elected not to take the malaria tablets. You have to take the course and not just one pill. I guess if I had been bitten even if during the day I would have started the medicine, but I wasn't so didn't take the medicine. :

Do all mosquitoes transmit malaria?

A: Only certain species of mosquitoes of the Anopheles genus—and only females of those species—can transmit malaria.

Thanks for latest advice. I have since spoken with a medical travel adviser, and have been told that they generally do not advise it necessary to take malaria tablets just for a daytime shore excursion. So think we will just cover up well, and spray ourselves with mosquito repellant.

Archived