What is the deal about coffee?????

travelgenie

Actually, I think it makes a great iced coffee. Lots of cream and a little sweetener and you have a great pick me up.

I was going to say the same thing. In the HC, it's a simple matter to fill a glass to the brim with ice, add hot coffee, et voila!

Part of it comes down, I think, to whether you prefer your coffee black. I - with not a smidgen of guilt - ruin the True Coffee Experience with cream and Splenda, and find the onboard swill perfectly swillable.

Once upon a time, all the mass market cruise lines had lousy coffee. The, when good coffee became a very popular item, some cruise lines did try to improve their onboard coffee. For example, HA was using Seattles Best in their Lido and dining room. But alas, good coffee is expensive when you buy it by the ton and the cruise lines noticed that folks were willing to pay several dollars for decent coffee when they were on land. So they got wise and decided to continue serving lousy coffee in the Lido buffets and sell

"real coffee" in order to generate some onboard revenue. This is the current tend in cruising. If enough cruisers complain about the quality of something (i.e. food, coffee, ice cream, etc) they design a new venue for that item (alternative restaurants, coffee bars, ice cream bars) and turn it into a new profit maker. We figure its just a matter of time until they charge for using the elevators, tenders, deck chairs (they already have this option), drinking water (hmmm. they do this now), touring the ship (hmmmm), etc etc.

Hank

I love good coffee and tea so I'm erring on the safe side and taking a small french press and mini tea kettle with me. That way I can also have hot enough water for tea too!

Re the coffee card--how many punches are there? There will be two of us on a 7 day NB Alaska cruise --three days at ports. Typically we are a latte-a-day folks when traveling but I imagine some hot chocolate drinking on scenic cruising days. Are we better off paying as we go?

The specialty coffee card has 15 punches. Works for two on a 7 night cruise if each has one per day. If used up completely you save about 1/3 on regular price of specialy coffee plus you get the free brewed coffee for that cruise. Any left over punches can be used on another cruise

I will be going on my first Princess cruise in February and have been looking at the boards in preparation for our trip. I have noticed some postings about coffee cards, do you really have to buy a card to get a real cup of coffee? What kind of coffee is available for no charge?

As someone who recently cruised Princess for the first time, I'll offer my 2 cents. When you order coffee from room service make sure you indicate "very hot" and get a small pot of scalding hot water. It's very strong.

I never bought a coffee card and survived.

If you will be going to Panama, you'll be able to pick up some of the best coffee you'll ever taste. I used this to sooth my post cruise blues :)

BTW, Am I allowed to post the name of the coffee I bought? At any rate, I found an importer from Miami so I can continue to get this wonderful brew!

We're big coffee drinkers, and in fact our home coffee is shipped monthly from Hawaii, since I love Kona.

That said, we will drink the syrup when we're not at the IC. It's tolerable for us.

In 2007 we were on the Dawn, and they decided they'd punch for the brewed. I pointed out that the cost of brewed was less than the cost per punch, and it made no sense to punch. So, I just paid my 1.25 or whatever it was. Never had that issue again, though.

On that cruise, we were having lunch in the MDR one day, and for our after lunch coffee, the waiter asked us to wait a couple of minutes because he was making a fresh pot. We then noticed a significant improvement in the taste. So I think fresh and hot makes a difference on the syrup coffee.

If you will be going to Panama, you'll be able to pick up some of the best coffee you'll ever taste. I used this to sooth my post cruise blues :)

BTW, Am I allowed to post the name of the coffee I bought? At any rate, I found an importer from Miami so I can continue to get this wonderful brew!

Unless you are selling the coffee or getting commission on the sales, I think you are safe in disclosing the name of the coffee here. CC just doesn't want soliciting or advertising on the site.

We are going to Panama in March and love good coffee so: do tell, what and where you got it if you don't mind giving away your secret.

We were on RCI Jewel of the Seas in October; they used real ground coffee. Even in the buffet restaurant. No syrup.

Sometimes we bring a couple cinnamon sticks on the cruise to help cover the syrup coffee flavor. Each stick can be dried off and reused a number of times. Forgot them on the last cruise.

Art

WOW, I am surprised that Princess serves coffee made from syrup, especially in the dining room, now I wished I hadn't asked:(

It's all mind over matter. People are automatically assuming that just because the coffee is made from syrup it is going to be horrible. I had coffee in the HC with 2 friends who had never cruised before and both consider themselves to be 'coffee snobs'. Grinding their own beans fresh with each pot, using filtered water, etc. Well, I didn't say anything to either of them when the waiter brought us coffee. They both drank it and when I asked how it was, they both thought it was fine. :D

Unless you are selling the coffee or getting commission on the sales, I think you are safe in disclosing the name of the coffee here. CC just doesn't want soliciting or advertising on the site.

We are going to Panama in March and love good coffee so: do tell, what and where you got it if you don't mind giving away your secret.

Oh good! I ended up buying a ground coffee (gasp), which is anathema in our house but our guide in Columbia assured us that it was the coffee she drank and was the favorite of the locals. It's called Sello Rojo (SAY-o ROW-hoe).

I confess to being prepared to enjoy the ground beans from Costa Rica better, but, oh Lordy! This ground stuff is so good.

It's ground very fine so use about half what you normally do. There's no bitter aftertaste.

If you find that you like it, I'll email you the link. We will be ordering some in the coming weeks.

We bought it in a little shop in the old walled city in Cartagena.

I hope you have a great cruise! And sorry for being misleading about where I bought it. I reread what I wrote and, while I bought it on my Panama itinerary, I bought it in Columbia.

Archived