transportation to Galveston Texas port

jmr1970

We are thinking about taking a Royal Caribbean cruise from Galveston, Texas in March. Does anyone have any suggestions for transportation (other than car rental) from the Houston airport to the cruiseport in Galveston?

Thank you for any assistance.

Hi, If you are arriving on the same day the ship is sailing, Royal Caribbean sells a transfer bus from both IAH (Houston Intercontinental) and from Hobby airport to the port in Galveston. Otherwise, there are plenty of limo services that can provide transportation to Galveston.

We are on the Mariner in April and I have been researching the same thing. I thought about a car rental for the day we fly in and use it to drive to the port to turn in there in Glaveston, but then you run into the problem of how to get back to the airport when you disembark. I don't really want to pay for a rental for the week and pay for parking when we will not be anywhere near the car! Seems a waste to me. So far, I am thinking that we may do the Spring Hill Suites Hotel at Hobby. They have a free airport shuttle and also a shuttle to and from the port. Check over on the Home Ports- Gulf Coast board. Lost of info there about different shuttles and hotels. Hope this helps!!!

We are thinking about taking a Royal Caribbean cruise from Galveston, Texas in March. Does anyone have any suggestions for transportation (other than car rental) from the Houston airport to the cruiseport in Galveston?

Thank you for any assistance.

My family is flying in the evening prior and staying at a hotel near the airport and we're driving up to meet them prior our cruise out of Galveston. There are 10 of us in total. We plan on having a limo pick us up at the hotel and driving us to the terminal. By the time we would have paid transfer fees and paid to park vehicles the limo made sense and is a fun perk.

• 2 weeks later...

We were on the Mariner in Dec. and flew in to IAH. I used texas airport car (texasairportcar.com) which cost $35 pp. The van was waiting for us at the door and it was well worth the money.

We did use the RCCL bus to return to the airport from the port. The bus stopped at both Hobby and IAH and I believe it cost $40 pp one way. Looking back I wish I would have scheduled the car service. (The bus took 2 hours to get to IAH, after stopping at Hobby. The car service only took about an hour)

The owner of the car service, Dwayne, keeps in very good contact with you and his driver had even left a voice message on my cell phone telling me exactly where he was.

Any other questions?

We are on the Mariner in April and I have been researching the same thing. I thought about a car rental for the day we fly in and use it to drive to the port to turn in there in Glaveston, but then you run into the problem of how to get back to the airport when you disembark. I don't really want to pay for a rental for the week and pay for parking when we will not be anywhere near the car! Seems a waste to me. So far, I am thinking that we may do the Spring Hill Suites Hotel at Hobby. They have a free airport shuttle and also a shuttle to and from the port. Check over on the Home Ports- Gulf Coast board. Lost of info there about different shuttles and hotels. Hope this helps!!!

I've been looking for the cruise package at Spring Hill Suites, but to no avail. (I can't seem to find it)I have reserved Comfort inn and Suites, which has a similar package. Last time we stayed at La Quinta at Hobby, a good experience, and I think a great deal.

It is pretty expensive to take a shuttle to Galveston, then booking a hotel during a peak cruise time, like we did, is also pretty expensive. This is a good way to go.

:D T. Umphess

I called today to inquire about Spring Hill's cruise package and they no longer offer it. :( So, I am back to sqaure one. I did see that La Quinta and Comfort Inn have the same package, but then I had read that they are not in a very good area. No restaurants or stores nearby. Does anyone have experience with either of these hotels and the shuttle to the port they offer? Convenient? Or a bigger hassle than it was worth? I am ready to pull my hair out. Trying to not spend over $400 to get my family of 5 to and from the port and also include a room for the night before the cruise. :cool:

I called today to inquire about Spring Hill's cruise package and they no longer offer it. :( So, I am back to sqaure one. I did see that La Quinta and Comfort Inn have the same package, but then I had read that they are not in a very good area. No restaurants or stores nearby. Does anyone have experience with either of these hotels and the shuttle to the port they offer? Convenient? Or a bigger hassle than it was worth? I am ready to pull my hair out. Trying to not spend over $400 to get my family of 5 to and from the port and also include a room for the night before the cruise. :cool:

We did the Springhill Suites package 3 years ago and I can see why they no longer offer it! First of all, the hotel itself is fine, but the area it is in is a bit sketchy. We had to take a cab a few miles away to find somewhere safe and decent to eat dinner. Then on the morning of the cruise, we were told we'd be picked up by 11am for our ride to the cruise terminal. I'm not sure what happened, but they didn't pick us up until close to 2pm! The latest you can board the ship is 4pm and we literally arrived just before they closed the manifest. I have never been so nervous in my life! I mean, what's the point of flying in the day before and paying for a hotel room when you cut it that close! Never again!

I would be wary of any other airport area hotels offering the same deal. The shuttle operators pick up the passengers arriving at the port and bring them back to the area hotels before they begin picking up the new passengers to take them to the port. Given any delays in the ship's arrival or traffic en route, there's a good chance that you will be arriving at the port in the late afternoon. Take my advice and book a limo or shuttle. Your peace of mind is worth it!

I stayed at La Quinta last time, and it was a great deal. I had no problem with transportation at all. They took us out at 9 or 10, and picked us up promptly too. La Quinta was okay. They had a breakfast in the morning. I really had no complaints. This time, I am trying Comfort Inn and Suites. We plan to take a taxi into Houston City Center and look around that day.

I would be very upset if they didn't pick me up until 2. That is crazy. I can understand your wariness because of that.

Archived