jewelry shopping?

I know that there's tons of "jewlery bargains" to be had. what I'm wondering if it's all "higher end" items, or they have more reasonably priced items. I'm looking for a unique ring with both my kids' birthstone's in it, but not a traditional "mother's ring". don't really want to spend over $100 or so. has anyone ever seen anything like that around?

Our favorite jewelers at Trident and Shiva's, on Front Street, offer pieces in EVERY price range, as do many of the shops there. We're sure that you will find what you're looking for.

But, if this is truly a unique item, we'd suggest shopping in the morning in case they have to custom make it for you to pick up that afternoon.

gary and mary ann

I'd suggest that you stop in at Omni's Don't just browse the cases and leave but talk with one of the sales people. Explain what you are looking for. They will be able to find a ring that will be suitable and at your price range. It's amazing how the prices can come down when families are buying things for their children. They are a strong family business and can appreciate this.

CaribbeanBlue

http://www.*****.org

I second the recommendation of Trident & Shivas. The Alwani family is great and we have been shopping with them for 10 years. If St. Thomas is on the trip try Jewels Forever downtown they are related to the Alwani's.

I second the recommendation of Trident & Shivas. The Alwani family is great and we have been shopping with them for 10 years. If St. Thomas is on the trip try Jewels Forever downtown they are related to the Alwani's.

First; I believe that relations have somewhat cooled between the Alwani's on St. Maarten and the part of the family on St. Thomas.

That said, we don't think that you can do better for jewelry anywhere in the Caribbean than St. Maarten, and on St. Maarten, we don't think that you can do better than Trident and Shiva's. Go to Shiva's @ 75 Front Street, Philipsburg, (about one hundred yards to the left of the Court House) and Trident is almost directly across the street.

Ask for Jay or Varkha or Raj, but feel comfortable with anyone that serves you. We have been dealing with the family for nearly 20 years, now, and have never been disappointed with any item that we have purchased.

I also agree with Caribbean Blue's observation to do more than just look in the display case and leave. Describe what you're looking for and they may just have it in the back, or across the street. Please talk with the staff. They truly are there as much to help you as they are to sell to you (in the reputable shops).

gary

p.s. Say hello from Gary and Mary Ann

• 3 weeks later...

Go to Royal Jewelers in Phillipsburg and ask for Victor. The store is great and always provide good service. We have been going there for 8 years and always stop there when we return to St Marteen.

you can spend the entire time in port looking in jewelery stores. It seems like a hundred of them. Appears like every other store sells jewelery and some sell liquor and jewelery. to me, so much similar merchandise lowers the value of any of it. For less than $100 you can find lots of stuff but not much original.

• 2 years later...

I would love to find a pair of gold hanging sailboat earrings. Will this be difficult to find?? Where is the best place to look?? I don't care for shopping and would like to save time and money. I'll be in St Thomas and St Marten.

Thanks so much in advance!!

Juanita

First; I believe that relations have somewhat cooled between the Alwani's on St. Maarten and the part of the family on St. Thomas.

That said, we don't think that you can do better for jewelry anywhere in the Caribbean than St. Maarten, and on St. Maarten, we don't think that you can do better than Trident and Shiva's. Go to Shiva's @ 75 Front Street, Philipsburg, (about one hundred yards to the left of the Court House) and Trident is almost directly across the street.

Ask for Jay or Varkha or Raj, but feel comfortable with anyone that serves you. We have been dealing with the family for nearly 20 years, now, and have never been disappointed with any item that we have purchased.

I also agree with Caribbean Blue's observation to do more than just look in the display case and leave. Describe what you're looking for and they may just have it in the back, or across the street. Please talk with the staff. They truly are there as much to help you as they are to sell to you (in the reputable shops).

gary

p.s. Say hello from Gary and Mary Ann

Hi Gary. I have been following your posts for almost a year, and am nearing my trip to St Martin. I am DEFINATELY checking out Shiva's and also Touch of Gold , based on Kal's recommendation. Appreciate your tip about describing what you are looking for ( although all I know is I want something not found in the states):D . I also appreciate other tidbits you have posted on liquor, souvenirs, etc. Will let you and Kal, know how I did when we return!:p

Boy, they dusted the cobwebs off of that old thread.

Luckily, I wouldn't change anything that I posted there, back in 2005.

Looks like you'll be on-island on Thursday, September 13th.

Can I pencil you in to meet at Shiva's at 10:00 that morning?

gary

Boy, they dusted the cobwebs off of that old thread.

Luckily, I wouldn't change anything that I posted there, back in 2005.

Looks like you'll be on-island on Thursday, September 13th.

Can I pencil you in to meet at Shiva's at 10:00 that morning?

gary

Well, we are going on the Joyce Prince tour that morning,not sure exactly when the shopping part will occur, other than that, I'd be honored....... :p :D

Well, we are going on the Joyce Prince tour that morning,not sure exactly when the shopping part will occur, other than that, I'd be honored....... :p :D

My bad; I completely missed the fact that you were touring with Joyce. Plan for a GREAT day with her.

As to meeting up, just believe What was meant to be WILL be. If it isn't meant to be ---

gary

p.s. If you wish, e-mail me -- address is posted in my profile.

Archived