Sunday morning in the French Quarters

2-laner

We leave for our cruise on the Conquest in a couple weeks and are planning on going to 9:00 mass at St. Louis Cathedral and then thought about walking about the area since we have time before boarding the ship. We know that things will be closed, but, our main interest is just seeing the buildings and taking in the atmosphere. Where is best to park around the cathedral and how are the streets for driving and parking down in the French Quarter area that time of day?

You should be able to find parking in the quarter along the street, but be-careful that you do not parking in a tow away zone or block a driveway. If you cannot find a place to park you can always park along the river walk. Of course you have to pay for that, but it is very convenient. Plus it is close to Cafe du monde where you can sit outside and have coffee and beignets. My favorite thing to do before boarding the ship. Sunday mornings are kind of quite in New Orleans. Hope this helps.

You should be able to find parking in the quarter along the street, but be-careful that you do not parking in a tow away zone or block a driveway. If you cannot find a place to park you can always park along the river walk. Of course you have to pay for that, but it is very convenient. Plus it is close to Cafe du monde where you can sit outside and have coffee and beignets. My favorite thing to do before boarding the ship. Sunday mornings are kind of quite in New Orleans. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the info. We too are cruising out of NOLA and this helps us to plan our Sunday morning.

Thank you for the info. Somebody was telling me that Cafe du monde can have a very long waiting time on Sunday mornings. We would love to have coffee and beignets outside as you suggested, but, not so sure we want to wait over an hour like this person told us it could be.

Lines are always long on Sunday mornings.

On the side of Cafe du Monde away from Decatur Street there is a take-out line. You can get your stuff to go, walk across the levee and have breakfast by the river. Usually a lot faster.

Lines are always long on Sunday mornings.

On the side of Cafe du Monde away from Decatur Street there is a take-out line. You can get your stuff to go, walk across the levee and have breakfast by the river. Usually a lot faster.

I like this idea as long as it isn't raining. Thanks for the info.

Before 9 a.m., you shouldn't have a problem finding parking on Decatur -- but they are paid spots, so be sure to feed the meter (actually, it's the paper kind) again after mass.

Also...much as I love Cafe du Monde (and the to-go line/eating on the Moonwalk along the river is the best alternative to that line), if you just want good beignets and cafe au lait but can live without the history/tradition, Cafe Beignet on Royal Street is one of those best-kept secrets -- no line, quaint little cafe with outdoor courtyard, and just as good...without the fuss.

Cafe Beignet

334 Royal Street

New Orleans, LA 70130

Before 9 a.m., you shouldn't have a problem finding parking on Decatur -- but they are paid spots, so be sure to feed the meter (actually, it's the paper kind) again after mass.

Also...much as I love Cafe du Monde (and the to-go line/eating on the Moonwalk along the river is the best alternative to that line), if you just want good beignets and cafe au lait but can live without the history/tradition, Cafe Beignet on Royal Street is one of those best-kept secrets -- no line, quaint little cafe with outdoor courtyard, and just as good...without the fuss.

Cafe Beignet

334 Royal Street

New Orleans, LA 70130

Thank you so much for that bit of info. We may just check them out.

Somebody suggested that we head down Pirate Ally towards Royal Street and then just wonder around the blocks that surround the Cathedral. They said the buildings and "atmosphere" are befitting of the French Quarters. Anybody agree or disagree with that recommendation?

Absolutely agree. Depending on the time of day, Royal Street will be closed to cars/pedestrians only, and there are usually at least 5 or 6 street musicians/bands or performers along Royal. Great shops (great boutiques, art galleries, antique stores; legendary antique store MS Rau is always worth peeking into...even if you can't afford the oxygen in there) and architecture.

If you're into food, two shops I recommend: Lucullus (kitchen/culinary antiques and vintage stuff) and Kitchen Witch (old cookbook shop). They're not on Royal, but once you get feel for what it's like down there, you'll find there are few streets to walk and poke around, including Chartres.

Absolutely agree. Depending on the time of day, Royal Street will be closed to cars/pedestrians only, and there are usually at least 5 or 6 street musicians/bands or performers along Royal. Great shops (great boutiques, art galleries, antique stores; legendary antique store MS Rau is always worth peeking into...even if you can't afford the oxygen in there) and architecture.

If you're into food, two shops I recommend: Lucullus (kitchen/culinary antiques and vintage stuff) and Kitchen Witch (old cookbook shop). They're not on Royal, but once you get feel for what it's like down there, you'll find there are few streets to walk and poke around, including Chartres.

Fantastic. Sounds like we will be giving it a try. Being Sunday morning, I am not sure how many places will be open. However, we will still enjoy the walk. Thanks :)

We also are taking the Conquest out on a Sunday, in March.

Thinking of staying at the Springhill Suites on St. Joseph St. Could we stay parked there and walk to the cathedral? Any ideas what times the Sunday Mass's are?

We have 3 or so hours that previous Sat to see some sites, after a long drive. Would love to have a seafood recommendation within walking distance and any other attraction ideas offered.

Thanks! :)

Here's the mass schedule for St. Louis Cathedral.

Springhill Suites on St. Joseph is a fair distance to the cathedral -- about a 20-minute walk depending on what kind of walker you are. It's a nice, direct walk through the Warehouse/Arts and Central Business Districts -- safe, interesting, and IMO a great way to see a side of the city most visitors don't. It'll be quiet/empty in the morning, esp. on a Sunday. But if you're looking for a place for breakfast along the way, check out Ruby Slipper or Red Gravy.

However, if that's too much of a walk, stick to hotels in the French Quarter -- all within 5 to 10 minutes walk to the Cathedral.

RE: Seafood -- Deanie's is good for the typical fried/boiled LA seafood, but for my money (and a little more of it), I prefer GW Fins. It's "reasonably priced" for the quality of food and service, and the seafood is outstanding. Way beyond the typical fried platters.

Attractions...so many, so little time! Food is my thing, so that's my first rec: eat a po-boy at Johnny's, have beignets and cafe au lait, raw oysters at Bourbon House or Desire Oyster Bar at the Royal Sonesta. But if you want something more organized like a New Orleans tour and you only have a day in the city, I'd recommend one of the riverboat tours or a Garden District walking tour. If you have 2+ days, I'd do a plantation or swamp tour. Other must-see/do attractions: ride the St. Charles Ave. streetcar line, meander the streets of the French Quarter (seriously, you can spend hours just walking up and down Royal, Chartres, Decatur, and yeah, Bourbon), and eat, eat, eat. :)

If you go to Mandina's, be sure to order an Old Fashioned! Mandina's is one of those legendary New Orleans neighborhood restaurants that's more about the tradition and local social scene than the food. Again, more of the same fried/broiled/boiled seafood, but if you want to see a slice of old New Orleans, it's awesome for people-watching. Love the friendly, old-school waitstaff...but be prepared to wait in line if you go during a busy time.

Mother's IS good, but the line to get in is ridiculous. Never understood waiting in line for a po-boy at one restaurant when there are SO MANY good places to get a po-boy in N.O. Truth is, it's hard to get a bad po-boy in New Orleans...but you have to get outside of the FQ to get some of the really good ones.

Brett Anderson, the food writer/critic for the Times-Picayune, is currently working up a series on roast beef po-boys in New Orleans.

For shrimp po-boys, I love Parkway Bakery. For raw oysters & oyster "po-boys", I love Casamento's (even though they're not technically po-boys...they call it an oyster loaf).

Johnny's in the French Quarter is great, too, but I hear the lines can be kinda crazy there now, too.

Archived