Caribbean in Feb.

mustcruise1217

Not sure where to post this question, but since many families must utilize Feb to travel I figured I'd try here.

I am trying to decide when to book our next cruise and the idea of Feb. vacation sounds good. DD won't miss school and it would be a nice break from the chilly winters in CT.

However I am not sure of the weather in the Caribbean in Feb. Is it warm enough to swim? I don't want to spend money on a cruise where we aren't able to really enjoy the beaches.

DH and I both work crazy hours over the summer so Feb or April vacation makes the most sense, but April vacation travel seems to be much more expensive.

Depending on your ports, it will be warm enough to get wet. The Bahama's weather is similar to Florida and is not the "Caribbean". If you go further south, it's warm year-round....You will definitely be able to enjoy the beaches.

Depending on your ports, it will be warm enough to get wet. The Bahama's weather is similar to Florida and is not the "Caribbean". If you go further south, it's warm year-round....You will definitely be able to enjoy the beaches.

Thanks for the response. We are looking to avoid Nassau and head to St. Marteen, St. Thomas or San Juan depeding on which cruise line we end up on. We do want to get to one of the private islands such as Half Moon Cay or CocoCay though which is more Bahamas right?

Thanks for the response. We are looking to avoid Nassau and head to St. Marteen, St. Thomas or San Juan depeding on which cruise line we end up on. We do want to get to one of the private islands such as Half Moon Cay or CocoCay though which is more Bahamas right?

Right, privates islands are in The Bahamas.

Average Temperatures Water Temperature Air Temperature Wetsuit Recommendation

January-February 72-75f/22-24c 72-80f/22-27c Full Wetsuit 3mm or thicker

March 73-77f/23-25c 72-85f/22-29c Full Wetsuit 3mm or thicker

April 75-79f/24-26c 76-90f24-32c Shorty or Full Wetsuit

May 77-80f/25-27c 80-90f/27-32c Skin or Shorty

June 79-81f/26-27c 80-90f/27-32c None required

July-Sept 81-85f/27-29c 80-90f/27-32c None required

October 79-82f/26-28c 76-90f/24-32c Skin or Shorty

November 77-80f/25-27c 72-85f/22-29c Shorty or Full Wetsuit

December 75-78f/24-26c 72-85f/22-29c Full Wetsuit 3mm or thicker

Unless you hit some extremely unusual weather it will be warm to hot and plenty warm enough to swim. The Bahamas can be a little cooler, but you aren't going there. I've never been in the Caribbean in Jan.,Feb. or Dec. when it wasn't warm--I've never needed a wet suit; maybe for diving?

The chart above gives good averages; my own feeling is the ocean is 76-80 in Feb.

And I hate cold water, so if I can swim in the ocean in Feb., almost anyone can.

We did St. Thomas/Grand Turk/Half Moon Cay (Bahamas) and San Juan in January. Honestly, I don't think we'll be cruising in January again. The water was too chilly for us. And coming back to cold and snow, it was really hard to reacclimate for us. We've decided November is our favorite time of year to cruise.

Not sure where to post this question, but since many families must utilize Feb to travel I figured I'd try here.

I am trying to decide when to book our next cruise and the idea of Feb. vacation sounds good. DD won't miss school and it would be a nice break from the chilly winters in CT.

However I am not sure of the weather in the Caribbean in Feb. Is it warm enough to swim? I don't want to spend money on a cruise where we aren't able to really enjoy the beaches.

DH and I both work crazy hours over the summer so Feb or April vacation makes the most sense, but April vacation travel seems to be much more expensive.

We sail every year in February and we haven't had any major problems with weather. We have had the odd rain, but it was still warm outside even when raining. It's definitely warm enough to swim in water. Like another poster had said, the farther south you go, the more warmer it is. When we took my DD's on their first cruise in February 2009, we went to Bahamas, St. Thomas and St. Maarten. I have to say, the weather wasn't so nice in the Bahamas..it was very windy, but still sunny. St. Thomas and St. Maarten was hot though. Either way, it sure beats being in the cold! ;) :D

Archived