Just off Magic....avoid Galveston at all costs!

salcruizer

Just off the magic and we'll post a more detailed review later....the ship and service was much better than expected but Galveston port can not handle a ship the size of the magic. It's a shame because the ship was great. We were 4 hours late because of fog...even though it was sunny all morning. We didn't dock until 10:30 and that's when the disaster started. Mobs everywhere with no direction from the on board crew. They seemed to be hung over from the new years eve party. Many of us missed flights even though they were well after the suggested departure time. They could care less. Even with the four hour fog delay we would have made our flight if not for the incompetence of the ships staff and port staff Once inside the terminal it got worse. Luggage came off the ship in random order and the port staff was clueless and helpless. Porters tried their best but it was useless. We just searched through hand trucks of bags in a free for all. We were VIP with early departure and we were in the terminal for 2 plus hours searching. Once finally outside there were no taxis and hundreds of people fighting for shuttles and cabs as if we just arrived in a third world port.

I write this for those of you considering Galveston. Think twice. Have been through dozens of other ports and Galveston is by far the worst. Even on embarkation, with no delay, it was miserable. I also write this because over the years I've read these reviews and always taken them with a grain of salt. However, the other comments on these boards about fog are true....we just experienced it and we're told it's a real/recurring problem. It's not just fog in the area but low level fog that closes the port. Given the 2 hr drive to IAH and the inept port staff it's not a good port unless you can drive.

Sorry you experienced this...however...I LOVE Galveston! I have too been delayed due to fog (lots longer then you were) but its not the city's fault. If you want to blame someone - blame Mother Nature. Fog is a fact of life in Galveston. I even named it FogZilla. San Fran fog is the same way, try landing in that soup! I have cruised out of Galveston three times with only the one issue. I found Miami to be more of a mad house then Galveston and the port crew were nicer here as well. The one thing I did "like" about the Miami port was how luggage came out..just like at an airport - unlike the Easter Egg hut approach at Galveston...they could improve that. And I would never book my air back to anywhere prior to 2pm incase of delays. In my oponion booking earlier does not leave enough room for the "what if's" of crusing.

The one thing I did "like" about the Miami port was how luggage came out..just like at an airport - unlike the Easter Egg hut approach at Galveston...they could improve that. .

The last time I came back to the Miami port, we had to wait about three hours to get our luggage because so many of the VIP and lower-numbered people stayed on the ship for several hours and once the carousel in the airport was full it just kept going around and around until those people finally decided to come down and get their bags. No other bags could be put on the carousel until it was emptied. that was before I was platinum and I think my number was something like 27 and when I got down there the carousel was still full of bags from levels 1, 2 and 3. There were a lot of unhappy people standing around there for hour after hour.

Makes you wonder just how long will Carnival keep a ship of that size in a port that creates nothing but problems.

Conquest sailed form there for years and it had very few problems. Sometimes things happen at every port this is no different.

We took a family cruise on the Conquest 12/08-1/09 for New Years. Yes, we were delayed coming into port due to fog. Did not dock until 2:30 in the afternoon. there was a lot of upset passengers, but what can you do. We were about the last ones leaving the ship at 5:30. Nothing chaotic about it, just slow. Now the one time it was really bad was when we returned from the TA on the Voyager the first time it came to Galveston. Galveston was not ready for over 6,000 passengers disembarking at the same time. (Conquest & VOS). DD & family came to pick us up and could not even get close to the terminal until after 2:00 and there was no fog delay. That was only 2 cruises and the other 5 have been great. Those 2 cruises had circumstances beyond anyones control. Try Galveston again!!

Im surprised with Galveston being a cruise port and ships leaving and returning on saturdays and sundays that the rental car companies are closed. would be nice to have been able to rent a car and explore Galveston day prior to cruise.

Im surprised with Galveston being a cruise port and ships leaving and returning on saturdays and sundays that the rental car companies are closed. would be nice to have been able to rent a car and explore Galveston day prior to cruise.

It certainly seems like they are missing an opportunity. That is one of the most convenient things about flying into Orlando to cruise out of PC....it's an easy drive....

But maybe the Texas rental car companies are being appropriately cautious.......driving around Houston is NOT for the faint of heart......and getting from IAH to Galveston and back can involve many hazards....especially for those who are unfamiliar with where they are going and trying to navigate across 6 or 8 lanes of traffic.

I try to plan my trip so that on the way down on Saturday I hit the north side of Houston no later than 11am and on the way back I always do VIP self assist off the ship and I'm usually well past downtown Houston by 9am....

I wish they would put a turnpike in from Huntsville to Webster with no entrance ramps along the way so you could just hop over downtown Houston.

I thought the people in Texas were nice till I drove on the freeway thru Houston the first time:eek:

LOL.........wellllllll, it's not that they're not nice (I lived in Dallas for 8 years).....but they know where they are going and aren't very tolerant of those that don't.....

TXDoT comes up with some of the most convoluted highway systems that I've ever seen......right after they built the high 5 in Dallas I made myself get up really early one Sunday morning to learn how to navigate it.....I almost got a nose bleed when I was up on the top deck.......:p....but if you know what lane to be in it's a breeze........

Now that I'm back in Oklahoma my most common utterance is "WHAT ARE YOU WAITING ON"..........these are the slowest drivers on the planet.......

I'll be navagating my way through Houston in 56 days and can't wait to be on the causeway over to Galveston Island.....that's when my vacation really begins........making it to the island and ordering my 1st plate of Shrimp Kisses..........the only thing better is getting "dinged" onto the ship..........

We have sailed out of Galveston many times and not had any major problems except a couple of times that customs was really slow due to long lines. We were on the Magic 11-14 for the 1st. sailing from Galveston and had no problems at all. We were on the ship shortly after 11 am & when we got back we were on the road out of Galveston before 8 am. So far I don't think any city or cruise line has figured out how to prevent fog....

Doug

You can get Shrimp Kisses at Fishermans Wharf and they are so good,

:) which is next door to the terminal

Thanks sounds good maybe next time we go to Galveston for the weekend I can talk her into going there. She is getting spoiled by the Olympia grill thou:rolleyes:

Just off the magic and we'll post a more detailed review later....the ship and service was much better than expected but Galveston port can not handle a ship the size of the magic. It's a shame because the ship was great. We were 4 hours late because of fog...even though it was sunny all morning. We didn't dock until 10:30 and that's when the disaster started. Mobs everywhere with no direction from the on board crew. They seemed to be hung over from the new years eve party. Many of us missed flights even though they were well after the suggested departure time. They could care less. Even with the four hour fog delay we would have made our flight if not for the incompetence of the ships staff and port staff Once inside the terminal it got worse. Luggage came off the ship in random order and the port staff was clueless and helpless. Porters tried their best but it was useless. We just searched through hand trucks of bags in a free for all. We were VIP with early departure and we were in the terminal for 2 plus hours searching. Once finally outside there were no taxis and hundreds of people fighting for shuttles and cabs as if we just arrived in a third world port.

I write this for those of you considering Galveston. Think twice. Have been through dozens of other ports and Galveston is by far the worst. Even on embarkation, with no delay, it was miserable. I also write this because over the years I've read these reviews and always taken them with a grain of salt. However, the other comments on these boards about fog are true....we just experienced it and we're told it's a real/recurring problem. It's not just fog in the area but low level fog that closes the port. Given the 2 hr drive to IAH and the inept port staff it's not a good port unless you can drive.

So sorry you had a bad time. But Galveston is a great port. We have sailed the Conquest out of Galveston and the Magic Thanksgiving Weekend. On The Magic we literally walked on board just barely stopping to fill out our paperwork, take our picture and were on our way. And it was cold and raining when we boarded that day. The day we got home we self disembarked, carried our own luggage off with no problems and was off the boat and waiting for our ride to pick us up outside for an hour because I didn't think we would be off so quickly.

The weather in Galveston is always iffy this time of year and in the early springtime and sometimes it gets foggy so check it out and plan accordingly. We would never plan to fly in or out the same day as our cruise because too many things could go wrong and with us it would. But that's just the way we do things. I hate it when people start complaining about Galveston and blaming things on the port and on Carnival which have nothing to do with the weather. Sorry, just had to throw my 2cents in.

Never experienced any major issues going in or out of Galveston. Love that it is so close that we can drive! However, have noticed those that totally disregard the announcements about getting off the ship and just going on and doing whatever they want. :D That would make things difficult for the staff in my opinion. So glad you enjoyed your cruise though! Hope you give Galveston another try!

Vicki

• 4 weeks later...

We sailed on the Magic out of Galveston this past Thanksgiving week and had a completely different experience than the OP. We like to get to the terminal early, and we thought we'd have to wait a while to get on the ship. We parked our car at a garage across the street from the terminal at about 10:45 am and we're literally walking onto the boat by 11:15, having already checked our bags and done all the terminal check-in/picture taking stuff! Same thing on the trip back. We got down to the Magic lobby in a matter of minutes and within about 15 minutes, we were through customs and crossing the street to the garage. I was amazed and kept telling my husband that I had no idea how we got off the boat so quickly. We take our own luggage off the ship so we don't have to wait at the terminal for that.

I am sorry so many have had bad experiences in Galveston. This was our second time out of Galveston and the only difference in the first trip was that we had to wait in the chairs in the terminal before we could board the ship.

Please don't abandon Galveston! LOL

We sailed on the Magic out of Galveston this past Thanksgiving week and had a completely different experience than the OP. We like to get to the terminal early, and we thought we'd have to wait a while to get on the ship. We parked our car at a garage across the street from the terminal at about 10:45 am and we're literally walking onto the boat by 11:15, having already checked our bags and done all the terminal check-in/picture taking stuff! Same thing on the trip back. We got down to the Magic lobby in a matter of minutes and within about 15 minutes, we were through customs and crossing the street to the garage. I was amazed and kept telling my husband that I had no idea how we got off the boat so quickly. We take our own luggage off the ship so we don't have to wait at the terminal for that.

I am sorry so many have had bad experiences in Galveston. This was our second time out of Galveston and the only difference in the first trip was that we had to wait in the chairs in the terminal before we could board the ship.

Please don't abandon Galveston! LOL

Exactly what happened to us on our Magic cruise. We couldn't believe how fast we were on and off the ship. 7 cruises out of Galveston, all on Carnival, and that was the fastest by far. You would think it would be the opposite considering the size of the Magic.

NEVER had a problem cruising out of Galveston. We love it.

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Red"]We have been on nine cruises from Galveston , and had one 3 hr fog delay. We got off the Magic in November in 30 minutes. Maybe we have just been lucky, but we are on the Mariner in 36 days , and have 2 more booked. The day we had fog, I thought the terminal and parking did a great job.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][quote name='ooulio']I read half a dozen reviews the other day about Galveston. Everyone said it had improved and loved the ship. We have it already booked. Nothing we can do now. It will be probably our first and last one in Galveston. I am sorry we booked it with all the rules costing so much money. We will surely go back to Florida our next cruise. Too late to change. Maybe it was a bad day which is what I am hoping.[/QUOTE]

Archived