Attitudes on the Grand, what about the other ships??

Gregcathy

I agree to a certain extent but I've seen too many passengers yelling, screaming and verbally abusing them for things over which they, and Princess, have no control and being confrontational rather than treat them like fellow human beings. It's not pampering them to let them know that you're happy to be on the ship, enjoying the cruise and appreciate their hard work. It's called mutual respect and goes both ways.

Absolutely! Having worked in a job in which I interacted with hundreds of people per shift, there were days when I went in with a positive attitude, resolved to have a good day, and found myself crashing and burning thanks to patrons who were total jerks. And I just wasn't getting paid enough to be a punching bag for emotional abuse.

Now, I know nobody here on CC is an irrationally demanding passenger (or, for that matter, a chair hog or the parent of an unruly child). But - recalling how it was for me - one thing I've always tried to do when dealing with the folks at the purser's desk is to be extra-pleasant and as undemanding as possible, right from day one. It's paid off; last cruise one of the CS reps quickly hailed me by name and was only to happy to help, especially if the passenger ahead of me was nastily impossible to please. (Which, to repeat, doesn't apply to any of the present company. But honestly, the sense of la-di-da entitlement some people have...)

Oh, and, no, I haven't spent as many days at sea as many of you, but looking back, I can honestly say I've never had a crew member be outright rude. "Preoccupied" at worst...

Absolutely! Having worked in a job in which I interacted with hundreds of people per shift, there were days when I went in with a positive attitude, resolved to have a good day, and found myself crashing and burning thanks to patrons who were total jerks. And I just wasn't getting paid enough to be a punching bag for emotional abuse.

Now, I know nobody here on CC is an irrationally demanding passenger (or, for that matter, a chair hog or the parent of an unruly child). But - recalling how it was for me - one thing I've always tried to do when dealing with the folks at the purser's desk is to be extra-pleasant and as undemanding as possible, right from day one. It's paid off; last cruise one of the CS reps quickly hailed me by name and was only to happy to help, especially if the passenger ahead of me was nastily impossible to please. (Which, to repeat, doesn't apply to any of the present company. But honestly, the sense of la-di-da entitlement some people have...)

Oh, and, no, I haven't spent as many days at sea as many of you, but looking back, I can honestly say I've never had a crew member be outright rude. "Preoccupied" at worst...

I agree 100%! The extra-pleasant, undemanding attitude gets a lot better response than the "you're getting paid to do my bidding, so consider yourself lucky" attitude!! But I agree, no one on CC would ever have that kind of attitude!;)

Perhaps with all the cruise information sent out Princess could include a "How to handle difficult crew" with sections on grumpy, underpaid, overworked, badly treated, chip on shoulder staff. Instead of crew training they could do passenger induction courses. :rolleyes:

I really cannot see what is "demanding" about expecting your cabin steward to be pleasant and polite and not throw a wobbly when asked for an ice bucket refill. I would think all that passengers require is a cabin clean up and bed making...which is after all what they are hired to do!

There are more and more newbies aboard these days. They may have waited for retirement or whatever but have wanted to go on a cruise all their lives. They have seen the movies they have watched the television programs they know how it will be. But the seasoned cruiser knows that these portrayals are long gone if they ever were a reality. The "Howell's" come aboard and are soon met with something altogether different and may take that out on staff and of course staff do respond in kind.

I like your Howells comment but really in my cruises I have seen more attitude from the experienced 'super deluxe polished platinum' level cruisers who feel their 'status' should mean the ship's crew should cater more completely to their needs. JMHO

Perhaps with all the cruise information sent out Princess could include a "How to handle difficult crew" with sections on grumpy, underpaid, overworked, badly treated, chip on shoulder staff. Instead of crew training they could do passenger induction courses. :rolleyes:

I don't think cruise lines should be responsible for teaching passengers basic manners. That should be left up to parents. I know that's what mine did for me and I did for my children.

I've never run into "difficult crew". Maybe they weren't all singing, but none have been difficult. Maybe I'm just lucky!

On my last cruise on the Sapphire the staff and crew were really good. Very friendly and helpful . That has been my experience in my 11 Princess cruises. I guess I've been lucky but all in all had great experiences. Sure, there have been a few that weren't very pleasant but that just makes me want to get them to crack a smile. I find if I'm friendly you can most often get someone who is cranky to lighten up. (Except for that server in the IC on the Crown in 2009. I tried and tried! But, he just wasn't going to be friendly:()

Sorry to hear about your experience. I do wonder when I hear about a ship/sailing that has this issue. It could the leadership on that particular sailing. When I think of companies I've worked for our different managers within the same company, I find they can certainly set the tone of those that work for them.

I hope you have a fantastic staff and crew on your next sailing.:)

Yes a smile works wonders but aren't the crew the ones working in customer service not the Passengers:rolleyes: We are the ones who are supposed to be pampered (according to all the publicity), not pay thousands to humour an unhappy crew!

I'm not sure I understand your post. I don't think smiling and being pleasant to crew members or anyone in a customer service role is "humouring" them. I think it's just nice behavior to treat others this way. Certainly, if someone was extremely rude to me I wouldn't like it and what I would do about it would depend on the circumstances. When I'm on land and someone in CS is rude I definitely try the smile and be nice policy. However, if that doesn't work I have said to someone "I'm sorry. Are you having a bad day?" This will typically get that person to realize they may not be acting very nice. And, will more times than not get them to lighten up.

My mom was a waitress so I've heard my share of great and horrible customer experiences from the other side of the fence. Perhaps that helps me keep a more balanced view.

We sailed on the Dec 10th cruise on the Grand.

We felt the ship was in very good condition, the entertainment was decent and the food was decent but nothing really exciting.

What seemed different was the crew just did not seem very happy. Most were pleasant, the pursers desk was a mix of friendly to curt and the main dining room staff ranged from friendly to rushed and uninvolved with the passengers. Many recent posts seem to have similar observations about the Grand, what about the other ships?? Some crew indicated contracts were nearing an end, is this a factor??

So, my question is ---- How have the crews been on other Princess cruises in the last few months??

We have been on 5 Princess cruises in the last 2 years, and the service has always been fine to me, however my standards are not as high as some I would guess. I have come to realize the wait and room staff work months on end, 7 days a week, so I don't really expect them to be overly happy looking/friendly, but usually they are. I also realize they choose to do that, but I can only guess how tough it is to work that schedule and be away from your homeland and family, so I'm pretty much OK with reasonably good service.

I was on the Grand the week before Christmas and never really thought about the attitude of the crew members I encountered until I posted my review and read of folks frustration with the attitudes they perceived. I went to the passengers services desk a couple of times during the week and the service I received was fine. My room steward was nice and friendly when I saw him in the hallway, and our waitstaff was great. I probably didn't speak to another crew member the entire week. Seemed normal to me.

Mike

As much as Princess tries to create a consistent customer experience, the reality is that people are people. Everyone has bad days, bad circumstances, and working conditions and workload are not always ideal.

I agree that as consumers, we pay for an overall experience when we cruise. Part of that experience is not having to cook, clean and generally be taken care of. Everyone's expectations of the service are going to vary.

I have always found the service to be good, but I've also had some not so great service and some exceptional service. I don't think you can generalize for a particular ship because the crew rotates regularly and not all at once either.

Would definitely agree that a smile and a greeting goes a long way.

A smile can go a long way whether you're on a ship or at the supermarket. Even the grumpiest usually respond to a smile, positive demeanor and respect. Chances are, many don't see that as often as we think. There are exceptions but that's the way I handle issues onboard.

As usual, Pam, U R so right.

I feel it a challenge to try to brighten someone's day. A smile and a nice word will usually do it. If not, I just find somebody who needs the smiles and nice things more than the first.

:D:cool:;):cool::D

Lets face it some cruisers are jerks and can never be made happy even if the crew went out of there way for them.

And, of course, no unreasonable, temperamental jerk realizes that he or she is acting like an unreasonable, temperamental jerk. Goes with the territory.

On three Princess cruises have found staff to be much more pleasant than many of fellow passengers. Certainly some crew members may not be over happy and always smiling. However I have generally found them very efficient and that is the main requirement in my book.

Iain

We were on the Crown last February and our main waiter in the dining room never had a smile on his face and seemed very rushed all the time and hardly conversed with the 6 at our table.....the assistant waiter was totally different.....just something we and the other 4 at our table recognized all week long.....

The assistant waiter coozing up to customers while the head waiter was working his buns off could explain the latter's comportment. :rolleyes:

I really cannot see what is "demanding" about expecting your cabin steward to be pleasant and polite and not throw a wobbly when asked for an ice bucket refill. I would think all that passengers require is a cabin clean up and bed making...which is after all what they are hired to do!

Comment cards work both ways. In the extremely rare event, a note to the appropriate manager quickly cures problems.

Archived