Cave Tubing Concerns/Questions

notes4theheart

I did a search of the boards and couldn't find any of this information so I'm starting my own thread

My questions:

1.) Does the ship sponsored tour link by ropes or feet?

2.) Who provides the ship sponsored tour (Carnival Cruise Line)?

3.) If I book an outside group, is there a chance we won't make it back to the ship?

4.) How long is this hike to the tubes?

5.) How "athletic and in shape" does one need to be to go on this trip? Both parties are excellent swimmers but not very agile.

6.) Is there a weight limit?

7.) Someone mentioned a waiver...what is the waiver for??

8.) Do all of the tours have you "fall" backwards from a dock? Is there any where you can sit into it from the water? If you don't fall in from the dock, can you easily wade into the water or is it a drop off?

Thanks!!

I did a search of the boards and couldn't find any of this information so I'm starting my own thread

My questions:

3.) If I book an outside group, is there a chance we won't make it back to the ship? Of course. However, 'reputable' companies will make every effort to return you on time. If they didn't, they'd be out of business quickly.

4.) How long is this hike to the tubes? For us, about 1/2 hour maybe.

5.) How "athletic and in shape" does one need to be to go on this trip? Both parties are excellent swimmers but not very agile. The path is pretty easy and we walked pretty slow. There are a couple places where you have to cross the river and the current was a little strong. The adults had no problem, but we had a kid hang onto the tube for balance.

6.) Is there a weight limit? Not that I know of, but I would check with the tour operator before committing.

7.) Someone mentioned a waiver...what is the waiver for?? We didn't sign a waiver that I recall. But we did sign one for ziplining (in Roatan). Typical stuff ... if you get hurt or die, they're not liable.

8.) Do all of the tours have you "fall" backwards from a dock? Is there any where you can sit into it from the water? If you don't fall in from the dock, can you easily wade into the water or is it a drop off? We did not fall back from a dock. Our load point was shallow and we just stepped in and were off. But again, different tour companies are going to be different.

Thanks!!

I just got back from CaveTubing with Explore Belize Caves dot com. I can only answer a few of your questions ... see above. For us, this was the perfect choice. They strapped the tubes together (no feet/armpit method) and we had nice headrests with cupholders. I can HIGHLY recommend them.

I'll check back in case you have any other questions. :) Whatever you choose, I hope you have a great time.

1.) Does the ship sponsored tour link by ropes or feet?Not sure, didn't use the cruise line

3.) If I book an outside group, is there a chance we won't make it back to the ship?I doubt it though it is possible. Thier business relies on cruise passengers so you'll be ok

4.) How long is this hike to the tubes? About 15-20 minutes

5.) How "athletic and in shape" does one need to be to go on this trip? Both parties are excellent swimmers but not very agile. The hike was easy, the tubing even easier. Shouldn't be a problem.

6.) Is there a weight limit? Not that I read about.

7.) Someone mentioned a waiver...what is the waiver for??Didn't have to sign a waiver.

8.) Do all of the tours have you "fall" backwards from a dock? Is there any where you can sit into it from the water? If you don't fall in from the dock, can you easily wade into the water or is it a drop off?We wading into the water to sit in the tubes. No falling backwards.

We used Reggie Tours last week and were completely happy with them.

My questions:

3.) If I book an outside group, is there a chance we won't make it back to the ship?

4.) How long is this hike to the tubes?

5.) How "athletic and in shape" does one need to be to go on this trip? Both parties are excellent swimmers but not very agile.

6.) Is there a weight limit?

7.) Someone mentioned a waiver...what is the waiver for??

8.) Do all of the tours have you "fall" backwards from a dock? Is there any where you can sit into it from the water? If you don't fall in from the dock, can you easily wade into the water or is it a drop off?

Thanks!!

We JUST got back. Cave tubed last week. Here are my versions of answers.

We used Cavetubing.BZ - Super company!

1. Carnival's folks were joined by feet. Tooooo much is made of the foot thing. It is really not a big deal! ONe company with black tubes let there folks float by themselves. The day before we were there, one girl got caught by the current and was whipped into a jaggedy palm which punctures her tube and sliced up her face. The tube was still stuck in the brambles.

2. Don't remember, but their time in the water was SHORTER. Keep that in mind. Our guide showed them where the Carnival folks got on and off.

3. Always a possibility. We got back with TONS of time to shop. We also beat the Carnival folks to the tubing location.

4. Around 40 min?, maybe more or less. Didn't have a watch on. OUr tour started higher up than most other companies. This provided more time in the water, which we loved about our company!

5. My 79 year old mom, with a bad knee had no problem. Though, my husband carried her tube and I provided assistance on the steps and walking through the water (which is necessary to get to the right side)

6. ??? Don't know. Ask the provider.

7. We signed NO waver. . . so different form USA

8. Sounds much, much worse than it is. Just bend at knees and plant your bottom in the tube. They hold the tube, so nobody misses. My mom was nervous but had NO problem at all. They hold you the hole time. MUCH easier to get in the tube that way. I did not see any other way to do it. You are on a nice dock.

We used cavetubing.bz - only $45. I think the ship charged over $100. LOVED them. No brainer for us! They toured and shared info about Belize the whole way there. Van was nice and air conditioned. Extremely kind to my mom. Very attentive. The nature hike was slow and super informative. LOVED it! Lunch was at the owner's house. Refried beans, chicken, rice, and cole slaw type salad. LOVED it! Ate every bite! Everyone was offered drinks at least twice. Use Cavetubing.BZ - reliable, informative, and wonderful!

We JUST got back. Cave tubed last week. Here are my versions of answers.

We used Cavetubing.BZ - Super company!

We used cavetubing.bz - only $45. I think the ship charged over $100. LOVED them. No brainer for us! They toured and shared info about Belize the whole way there. Van was nice and air conditioned. Extremely kind to my mom. Very attentive. The nature hike was slow and super informative. LOVED it! Lunch was at the owner's house. Refried beans, chicken, rice, and cole slaw type salad. LOVED it! Ate every bite! Everyone was offered drinks at least twice. Use Cavetubing.BZ - reliable, informative, and wonderful!

We are booked with .bz next week and I have one totally random question & I'm almost embarrassed to ask but here goes anyway... What did you wear on the hike/tube???

Swimsuit/water shoes only?

T-shirt/shorts over suit?

Did it make a difference?

I know I know...it's a dumb question but this is the last packing decision I have to make! :o

Also...did you need insect repellent?

Thanks in advance!

Karen

We are booked with .bz next week and I have one totally random question & I'm almost embarrassed to ask but here goes anyway... What did you wear on the hike/tube???

I know I know...it's a dumb question but this is the last packing decision I have to make! :o

Thanks in advance!

Karen

Whatever you wear on the hike, you wear in the tube, so wear what you will be comfortable getting wet in. I am planning to wear a tankini with gym shorts over the bottoms, only because I don't want to do the walk/hike without shorts. Also, sandals with a backstrap (like Tevas) that can get wet or water shoes.

I weigh 325 and did not have any problem. Nobody asked about my weight. As long as you can walk 30-45 minutes and sit on a tube you'll be fine. I personally preferred the drop into the tube. I have the potential of looking pretty stupid and getting very wet trying to climb into a floating tube. :eek:

Whatever you wear on the hike, you wear in the tube, so wear what you will be comfortable getting wet in. I am planning to wear a tankini with gym shorts over the bottoms, only because I don't want to do the walk/hike without shorts. Also, sandals with a backstrap (like Tevas) that can get wet or water shoes.

Thanks!

I put a tankini in with gym shorts/tshirt/water shoes. Didn't know if I'd feel comfortable hiking in swim suit only. Heck, it's my vacation, don't know why I'm stressing "what to wear". What are they gonna do, turn me away for getting the dress code wrong? Oh me...4 days and the "whatabouts" are kicking in!

Thanks!

Thanks in advance!

Karen

Great question! We used insect repellent, but we really didn't need it in December. That's what they said.

Flip flops and sandals were not recommended, but my daughter wore flip flops and I had Nike sandals and had no problem at all. You could loose the flip flops in the water when you cross, but we didn't. I took the sandals off while we tubed and strapped them through my life jacket to hold them. I think if I did it again I would hike in water shoes. Oh, yes, you could rent them there if you wanted, but ewwww, renting shoes? Yuck! I chanced it with my sandals!

We all wore just our bathing suits. Just know that everything you bring, could get wet, so if you want to wear a t-shirt, like my husband did, he also wore it in the water. If I did it again, I might wear a t-shirt over my suit, but this time, I just walked in my swim suit.

I was crazy busy before our cruise. It was the worst packing job I've ever done, but we survived with no problem at all!

My questions:

3.) If I book an outside group, is there a chance we won't make it back to the ship? As others have said, these companies rely on cruiseship passengers, they'll get you back on time unless there's some major issue.

4.) How long is this hike to the tubes? If I recall correctly it was about a half hour.

5.) How "athletic and in shape" does one need to be to go on this trip? Both parties are excellent swimmers but not very agile. It was moderately strenous for a couple minutes, a few small hills, some stairs. The most difficult part was that you had to carry your tube the whole way which was awkward more than anything.

6.) Is there a weight limit? not sure

7.) Someone mentioned a waiver...what is the waiver for?? I don't remember signing a waiver

8.) Do all of the tours have you "fall" backwards from a dock? Is there any where you can sit into it from the water? If you don't fall in from the dock, can you easily wade into the water or is it a drop off? Our tour was walk into the river, sit in the tube.

Thanks!!

We used an independent tour company. We think it was Greenway Tours or something like that. We really liked them. It was a small group and we got a lot of personal attention. We did the zip-line/cave tube combo. Here are a few pics so you can get an idea.

CruiseMarch20111681.jpg

As you can see people are wearing everything from bathing suits, shorts and shirts to dresses and shoes are crocs, sneakers, strap on sandals.

CruiseMarch20111683.jpg

A bit winded after the initial hike, lol.

CruiseMarch20111682.jpg

Crossing the river

CruiseMarch20111692.jpgCruiseMarch20111693.jpg

Some of the steps. I think this was all of them except for the occasional step here or there.

CruiseMarch20111713.jpg

Foot/armpit. not a big deal. Hope this helps!

Hi, thanks for all the useful information - this thread is great. I have 3 more questions:

1. What do you do with your wallet, cruise card and non waterproof camera? Were there lockers in the change rooms where you put your dry clothes etc?

2. On the NCL Spirit I hear they let passengers booked through the cruiseline on the first tenders and those booked privately or not at all get to go on later tenders.... will they wait for us?

3. Cave-tubing.com and ...bz both have great reviews... which is better?

I'll be there with my sister in February. Have fun everyone!

Great question! We used insect repellent, but we really didn't need it in December. That's what they said.

Flip flops and sandals were not recommended, but my daughter wore flip flops and I had Nike sandals and had no problem at all. You could loose the flip flops in the water when you cross, but we didn't. I took the sandals off while we tubed and strapped them through my life jacket to hold them. I think if I did it again I would hike in water shoes. Oh, yes, you could rent them there if you wanted, but ewwww, renting shoes? Yuck! I chanced it with my sandals!

We all wore just our bathing suits. Just know that everything you bring, could get wet, so if you want to wear a t-shirt, like my husband did, he also wore it in the water. If I did it again, I might wear a t-shirt over my suit, but this time, I just walked in my swim suit.

I was crazy busy before our cruise. It was the worst packing job I've ever done, but we survived with no problem at all!

As I just told someone else; I can always depend on someone on CC to come to my rescue regardless of how lame I think a question is!

You also read my mind about a changing area! I just figured I'd asked enough questions already!

My suit isn't skimpy ("skimpy"? HAHAHA!) at all so I might just go it in my suit and change into my shorts at the end. We do have water shoes.

I have some "dry" bug spray I might put on before "just in case".

Thanks again! I'm so glad to have that finalized! No telling how many folks will do a search for this very answer in the future. :D

Blessings,

Karen

We used an independent tour company. We think it was Greenway Tours or something like that. We really liked them. It was a small group and we got a lot of personal attention. We did the zip-line/cave tube combo. Here are a few pics so you can get an idea.

As you can see people are wearing everything from bathing suits, shorts and shirts to dresses and shoes are crocs, sneakers, strap on sandals.

Foot/armpit. not a big deal. Hope this helps!

Oh wow...you went above and beyond. A picture speaks a million words! I think I'm good to go now. The "shoes under the armpit" thing has been mentioned a lot, but it wasn't a deal breaker for me at all!

Thank you Thank you!

Karen

p.s. Spirit to Hawaii??? Sweet! I will have to snoop around and see if I can find a review on that one! :rolleyes:

Hi, thanks for all the useful information - this thread is great. I have 3 more questions:

1. What do you do with your wallet, cruise card and non waterproof camera? Were there lockers in the change rooms where you put your dry clothes etc?

2. On the NCL Spirit I hear they let passengers booked through the cruiseline on the first tenders and those booked privately or not at all get to go on later tenders.... will they wait for us?

1. Most, if not all, of the companies have you leave your personal items in the bus/van. They lock it and assured us it would be safe, and it was. They said that the parking area is monitored.

2. They will wait for you. The tenders are large and it doesn't take long to get a bunch of people off. I do recommend meeting when the tenders start so that you can get an early one. Since the independent operators only have customers not using the ship's tour, they would have to wait or they wouldn't have any business.

3. Very few people have used more than one company so it is virtually impossible to get an objective comparison. Everybody seems to love the company they used so it's hard to go wrong. Here are the main factors to weigh: price, types of tubes (VIV has tubes with headrests and that link together, so no feet to armpits), and what, if any, meal is provided. Determine what is important to you and know that you can expect a great experience.

Thanks Cackles,

The answer about locking the bus was reassuring, as was # 2.. #3 was a dumb question, I guess, as everyone seems to swear by the company they go with. The headrests may be good for my sister with neck promblems, so VIVtours is attractive!

Happy traveling,

lovetocycle but is it freezing again today here in Ottawa.

We just returned and did cavetubing.bz. They were wonderful. They gave us quite a great history of the island on the bus ride there. We saw 2 caves..some groups only had time for 1 cave. We also had a great lunch as others noted which was included with unlimited rum punch; which they even brought on the bus ride back to the tender for us to enjoy the ride back!:) all our things were secured on the bus.

They have a gift shop where you eat, so you don't even need to worry to rush back to shop and they ensured we got back to the tender in plenty of time; they made sure of everyone's departure times....as there were 3 ships in port that day.

We would book with them again if we return!

!. We went with BZ and simply left everything we didn't want to chance getting wet, in the locked van. There was a place to change, but I don't remember if there were lockers or not.

2. Not sure how Carnival's worked, but we were late from breakfast and missed the first tender for sure. We STILL ended up beating the ship's excursion. I'm SOOOOOOOOO glad I booked this on my own. BIG savings - better lunch!

3. I vote BZ of course, because we used them and like them a lot. I chose them over com because they start up a little higher on the river...more tubing and (I think) one more cave. We saw the com people and they did not hike as far as us, nor did they tube as long. Both have super reviews and you should be happy. I agree with the above poster that we all seemed to have great experiences so we tend to be loyal to the company we used. I considered the headrests, but I didn't feel they were needed at all. I also thought about the foot thing, but again, it was not a big factor. For most of us, it was a family member's foot! The deal breaker for us was the longer journey. Worth it hands-down. Oh, yes, the good meal at the end helped too!

Honestly, book this. Everything was extremely smooth and easy.

Oh, just one more thing. DO NOT book with anyone who doesn't use helmets. They are needed. Actually my mom bumped her head on a rock as she descended down the steps right before we got on the tubes. The helmet saved her from getting a big gash. There was one company, with black tubes, which had NO helmets. Just dumb if you ask me. Not safe at all.

We used VIV - tubes have headrests and mesh in the middle of the tube. There were changerooms available at the site and water shoes for rent. I wore a bathing suit with shorts, my daughter wore her bathing suit only and my other daughter wore her t-shirt and shorts. I would STRONGLY recommend water shoes. Your running shoes will get soaked and maybe muddy.

I would also highly recommend a good insect repellant - not OFF. We used OFF and although three out of four of us were okay, my youngest daughter was bit by something six times - bites were painful - not itchy and she is taking antibiotics for it. I didn't see very many insects but they must be there.

Tendering - Yes -the NCL excursions get off first. We lucked out and although we had a ticket for tender #10 one of the crew told us to go with group #6. We just made it to our tour group on time. The group who was supposed to go with us, we found out later, also had #10 and missed the tour. But they found another company who ended up taking them and it worked out fine. We had lots of time to spare at the end - enough for my daughter to have her hair braided at one of the shops. There were still people on the cavetubing tour that were going ziplining after so I think you will have lots of time.

We left our personal belongings locked in van with driver watching over them. Some people had ziploc bags with their cameras in them so they could take pictures when it was safe to do so.

We didn't sign any waivers.

My 14 year old is not active or athletic at all. The 40 minute hike was a lot for her because the rest of the group were adults, but she did it with no complaints.

We had to fall back from the dock - but it is only one or two foot drop and there is someone there to hold onto you. There was barely a splash.

We really enjoyed the cave tubing and the history of the Mayan people.

Hope this info helps.

One more thing! There are changing rooms! Bring underwear!!!

Also don't forget you bra ladies. We used Cavetubing.bz on our Christmas cruise. It is a family run company. The owner Vitalino was quick to respond to my questions and emails. Because we had alarge group gave us a discounted price. Loved Robin, our tour guide. We had 10 in our group so we had our own guide for the group driving in the van, walking to the river and driving home. He was full of knowledge regarding Belize and on the hike taugh us about many plants and animals as we were walking to the river.A few of us sampled a termite. Tasted minty. We all did enter the river from a small dock and did fall backwards into the tube. Not much of a fall. I must admit that my neck did get a bit tired on the river. I ended up keeping my head resting on the tube at times. No big deal hooking together with our feet under armpits. I tend to like whitewater rafting and I must admit that there really was not much speed to the river. Still was cool floating through the caves. We had a yummy lunch of beans rice and chicken. Many of us asked for seconds. We got a small bottle filled with rum punch and seconds that we took with us on the drive back. The non drinkers got a soda. All this for 40 dollars. Such a bargain.

• 2 weeks later...

I think all the questions have been answered, but I thought I'd pipe in. We did the cavetubing w/ "CavetubingRus". Smaller group, linked by ropes. I was also worried about dropping into the tube- easy as can be, my hubby has only 1 arm & he had no problem. I don't think we even got wet except when crossing to the drop in area. The walk to the river is a bit rocky, I had on thin water shoes, & it was a bit rough on my feet. Hubby had on thicker water shoes with no problem at all. We did spray down w/ bug spray before the walk to the river. There is a nice bathroom near where you park. We left our valuables in the locked tour van- no problem. Some people carried plastic bags to put their shoes, camera in. We just wore our swimsuits, me w shorts. Since my hubby has 1 arm, our tour guide carried our tubes for us. So let your guide know of any physical restrictions you might have, they will work it out. We made it back to tourism village w/ plenty of time to shop. Enjoy your cruise.

Another vote for BZ! We took the tour with Manuel and Junior and had a great time! Our hike was a little longer than other companies, but we had more time in the water (got to go thru 3 caves!) Highly recommend!

We toured with BZ in 2010, and had a great time. My only "complaint" was my termite didn't taste minty, more carrotty! Junior and Vitalino pulled us through shallow water, gave us great info about Belize, the jungle, harmful, and healthy plants and we just had a terrific time. Plus they kept us plied with rum punch, even on the way back to the ship. This is one of our better excursions.

Archived