Romantic suggestions..

Mommyof3boys

What about booking for lunch at the Negresco on the Promenade des Anglais? (Beautiful and famous hotel.)

The amazing restaurant in the hotel is called Chanteclar (we had a very amazing meal in that restaurant) but its only open for dinner except on Sunday when they do have lunch.

Hank

The brasserie, La Rotonde is very striking and well worth a visit. They do an excellent bouillabaisse for two and is open for lunch. If you are there in the evening then you will be able to dine in Le Chantcler if you so wish. The hotel makes a lovely venue for a special occasion.

Although we also sang the priases of Chanteclar (see my other post) we would personally not choose to be inside a haute cuisine restaurant for a "Romantic" lunch. If the weather is good, DW and I would probably head right over to the Old Town area and choose a cute outdoor restaurant (probably near the Cours Selaya) that had the appropriate menu on their chalk board. While we love the elegant indoor venues after dark, for a daytime meal its just hard to beat the atmosphere of a well-located outdoor cafe.

Hank

Although we also sang the priases of Chanteclar (see my other post) we would personally not choose to be inside a haute cuisine restaurant for a "Romantic" lunch. If the weather is good, DW and I would probably head right over to the Old Town area and choose a cute outdoor restaurant (probably near the Cours Selaya) that had the appropriate menu on their chalk board. While we love the elegant indoor venues after dark, for a daytime meal its just hard to beat the atmosphere of a well-located outdoor cafe.

Hank

I am thinking we would prefer a nice meal outdoors.

I am thinking we would prefer a nice meal outdoors.

There are many restaurants (indoor and outdoor) throughout the old town (our favorite neighborhood) of Nice. I already mentioned the Cours Selaya which is a large square not far from the water (in old town) where they also have Nice's famous Flower Market on most days. This square is surrounded by restaurants and cafes (most of whom also have outdoor dining). Within a few blocks of the Cours Selaya (walking away from the water) there are numerous other restaurants and cafes in all price ranges. Many frequent visitors to France (and also many French) know to always look at each cafe/restaurants daily specials (usually posted outside on a chalk board) since they often represent the best bargain and the best ingrediants available to the chef for that particular day.

I should also mention my personal favorite dish, when in Nice, which is their fish soup (Soupe de Poissons) usually served with small dishes of croutons, Aioli, and cheese. You then add these ingrediants to your liking. The fish soup in Nice is quite different from the Bouillabaisse made famous in the Marseille area and is something worth trying for those who enjoy a soup with a strong fish flavor. If Mussels are in season many of these cafes will also feature Moules et Frites which are also wonderful. Since the best French cooking is dependent upon the freshest ingrediants, the best menu items are always changing.

Hank

P.S. Now I have made myself hungry and have to go get somthing to eat :)

Archived