Holland America / Fort Lauderdale ??s

Yellowlily

Getting psyched for our upcoming cruise this spring and starting to do the fun research again and planning.

Two questions here.....

1. Any advice with Holland America? We are seasoned cruisers, but never w/ HAL. Anyone have experience with them and/or their kids club?

2. We have a few days in Fort Lauderdale before boarding and am currently hotel researching. Come up a with a couple of ideas, but not sold on any one yet. We are familiar w/ 17th street area, but don't necessarily want to stay there. On the list....Embassy Suites 17th street, new Crowne Plaza, Hyatt Pier 66 and maybe Westin. Know of any great family friendly hotels in that area and/or ideas of fun stuff to do?

Thanks in advance!

Just curious...How old are your kids? What ship will you be on? Have you been on the HAL boards and FLL thread? I have been addicted to CC for the past couple of months in preparation for our 14 night cruise on the Nieuw Amsterdam that departs this Sunday! Woo hoo!!!

We are going to FLL on Saturday with our two preschoolers. I will check back after the cruise and fill you in on what I have learned. So far this is what I know:

We have cruised HAL twice, once with a 10 month old. HAL is great for kids and adults! If school is out, there are not many kids on board....this is a good thing! Fellow passengers are a lot more tolerant of kids if the ship isn't over run with them. Also the staff is FANTASTIC with children, maybe because they are not burnt out, maybe because they miss their own, maybe just because HAL has awesome service. You will all have a great time!

We are staying away from the action of 17th street. My criteria for our pre cruise hotel was 1) free shuttle from airport/to pier 2) near a target 3) pool. I booked the Hampton Inn Plantation. Just so happens there is a day spa right next door. DH can go to the pool and I can go to the spa:) We are not usually ones to stay at a Hampton Inn type hotel, but it got great reviews and fit my criteria. I will let you know how we like it.

Just curious...How old are your kids? What ship will you be on? Have you been on the HAL boards and FLL thread? I have been addicted to CC for the past couple of months in preparation for our 14 night cruise on the Nieuw Amsterdam that departs this Sunday! Woo hoo!!!

We are going to FLL on Saturday with our two preschoolers. I will check back after the cruise and fill you in on what I have learned. So far this is what I know:

We have cruised HAL twice, once with a 10 month old. HAL is great for kids and adults! If school is out, there are not many kids on board....this is a good thing! Fellow passengers are a lot more tolerant of kids if the ship isn't over run with them. Also the staff is FANTASTIC with children, maybe because they are not burnt out, maybe because they miss their own, maybe just because HAL has awesome service. You will all have a great time!

We are staying away from the action of 17th street. My criteria for our pre cruise hotel was 1) free shuttle from airport/to pier 2) near a target 3) pool. I booked the Hampton Inn Plantation. Just so happens there is a day spa right next door. DH can go to the pool and I can go to the spa:) We are not usually ones to stay at a Hampton Inn type hotel, but it got great reviews and fit my criteria. I will let you know how we like it.

thanks so much for the info! we are going on the Westerdam. so looking forward to it!! glad to hear that HAL has such a great reputation with kids and adults alike! good to know about the Hampton. still in research mode!! I like your criteria!!! have an awesome time!!!

Archived