Verizon International cell phone coverage on the Journey

StahlLane

My DH and I sailed on the Journey last February from San Diego through the Panama Canal to Miami. As soon as we sailed South of Mexico my cell phone quit working and did not work again until we docked in Miami. While at sea, I checked with my cell phone company, Verizon, to confirm that I do in fact have international calling activated on my phone. I wanted to make sure that the problem did not lie with me before I spoke to anyone on the ship. When I spoke to the Guest Relations staff the employee told me that they were aware of the problem with Verizon international service and that it was due to a communication problem on the Journey and not with my phone.

Does anyone know if the communication problem has been fixed? We are sailing on the Journey very soon and it would be helpful to know ahead of time if my phone will work while we are in South America and Antarctica?

Thank you so much for your help!!! :D

My DH and I sailed on the Journey last February from San Diego through the Panama Canal to Miami. As soon as we sailed South of Mexico my cell phone quit working and did not work again until we docked in Miami. While at sea, I checked with my cell phone company, Verizon, to confirm that I do in fact have international calling activated on my phone. I wanted to make sure that the problem did not lie with me before I spoke to anyone on the ship. When I spoke to the Guest Relations staff the employee told me that they were aware of the problem with Verizon international service and that it was due to a communication problem on the Journey and not with my phone.

Does anyone know if the communication problem has been fixed? We are sailing on the Journey very soon and it would be helpful to know ahead of time if my phone will work while we are in South America and Antarctica?

Thank you so much for your help!!! :D

Hello StahlLane -

I hope your New Year is off to a great start! According to our hotel operations team, I'm pleased to let you know that both Verizon and Sprint cell phones should work on the Azamara Journey and Azamara Quest.

Initially, we provided only GSM cell phone service (AT&T, T-Mobile etc.) while at sea. In March 2011, we rolled out CDMA access for Verizon and Sprint customers.

Your cell phones will work in South America and in part of Antarctica; however, because the vessel will be located at the edge of the satellite foot print you might experience occasional intermitted service.

Thank you for vacationing with us again and look forward to welcoming you onboard again!

Regards,

Bill Leiber

Chief Blogging Officer*

Azamara Club Cruises

(*CBO is an authorized and compensated representative of ACC)

Bill, thank you for your help. It really is nice to have direct access to an Azamara employee when these types of technical questions come up. We are very excited about cruising with Azamara again. One week and counting!!!!!!

• 5 months later...
Hello StahlLane -

I hope your New Year is off to a great start! According to our hotel operations team, I'm pleased to let you know that both Verizon and Sprint cell phones should work on the Azamara Journey and Azamara Quest.

Initially, we provided only GSM cell phone service (AT&T, T-Mobile etc.) while at sea. In March 2011, we rolled out CDMA access for Verizon and Sprint customers.

Your cell phones will work in South America and in part of Antarctica; however, because the vessel will be located at the edge of the satellite foot print you might experience occasional intermitted service.

Thank you for vacationing with us again and look forward to welcoming you onboard again!

Bill Leiber

Chief Blogging Officer*

Azamara Club Cruises

Hi Bill: Will my IPhone 4 with Sprint service work on the Quest in the Mediterranean Sea -- Spain, France, Italy??

Hi Bill: Will my IPhone 4 with Sprint service work on the Quest in the Mediterranean Sea -- Spain, France, Italy??

Hello Shoesonfire -

Good news! Yes, it will work.

Enjoy your forthcoming Azamara experience.

Happy Sailing!

Regards,

Bill Leiber

Chief Blogging Officer*

Azamara Club Cruises

Archived