Upgrade and prepaid gratuity price increase??

heatherbean

I booked DH and I our 1st cruise back in August, on the Pride for April 2013. Today after reading rave reviews on cabin 7258, I decide to upgrade. We had been booked in a standard balcony. I called my PVP who made the changes without problem, of course there was a price difference, which I was aware of. However, when I received my email confirmation. I noticed that the prepaid gratuities were listed at $61 as opposed to $40 on my original booking. Is anyone aware why this would be?

I booked DH and I our 1st cruise back in August, on the Pride for April 2013. Today after reading rave reviews on cabin 7258, I decide to upgrade. We had been booked in a standard balcony. I called my PVP who made the changes without problem, of course there was a price difference, which I was aware of. However, when I received my email confirmation. I noticed that the prepaid gratuities were listed at $61 as opposed to $40 on my original booking. Is anyone aware why this would be?

They just upped the recommended tips. So you are probably seeing that reflected in the price.

Thank you all for the quick responses. I wasn't told of the increase and I actually had specifcally asked if they did increase before our sail date would we be responsible for them and he stated, "no we wouldn't do that". I mainly asked to get a feel on if I ordered say room decorations or champagne from Bon Voyage now, would they honor the current prices if they wer to increase (anybody know if that's the case).

Oh well, in the grand scheme of things it's not that much additional. I'm still over a year out :eek: before my final payment is due.

Thanks again for your help!

Thank you all for the quick responses. I wasn't told of the increase and I actually had specifcally asked if they did increase before our sail date would we be responsible for them and he stated, "no we wouldn't do that". I mainly asked to get a feel on if I ordered say room decorations or champagne from Bon Voyage now, would they honor the current prices if they wer to increase (anybody know if that's the case).

Oh well, in the grand scheme of things it's not that much additional. I'm still over a year out :eek: before my final payment is due.

Thanks again for your help!

Yeah, we only had a few hours on Oct. 31 to prepay our tips at the $10 rate. And the rate increase wasn't announced until it was too late. People posted on these boards on Oct 31st, which is the only reason a few of us had that chance. With those other things, if you purchase something now, you won't have to pay more later. But if you wait and the prices increase, you'll have to pay the higher price. If this is something where you order now but pay later, I don't know how they would handle that. You should give them a call and find out.

Yeah, we only had a few hours on Oct. 31 to prepay our tips at the $10 rate. And the rate increase wasn't announced until it was too late. People posted on these boards on Oct 31st, which is the only reason a few of us had that chance. With those other things, if you purchase something now, you won't have to pay more later. But if you wait and the prices increase, you'll have to pay the higher price. If this is something where you order now but pay later, I don't know how they would handle that. You should give them a call and find out.

I know this to be true as far as ordering and paying now.

Last year when CCL opened the online booking for cabanas at HMC we booked right away at $199 within a few weeks the price had gone up to $219.

We were paid and locked in to the $199 price.

I have prepaid our tips under the old rate on both of our cruises in 2012.

When I do my final payment, I am going to increase the tips to the new rate. I also give extra on the last night to anyone who we feel deserves that something extra. :)

$ 1 of this increase goes to entertainment staff and guest services who were never tipped before and many of us do not think they should be tipped now.

I plan to remove the dollar and give extra to wait staff and room steward who IMHO are more deserving of the increase.

Archived